The Student Room Group

Why are horses used in riots?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by E13
Sorry if someone has already said this, but the riders riding police horses are effectively their owners. They care for the horses, ride them every day and so on and so forth. The horse is trained for those situations, and has riders it knows riding them, so it can cope. Usually I believe a horse and its rider are trained at the same time. My parents friend was in the mounted police, and she definitely had her own horse.

Yeah, I must admit, I didn't do any research before I posted the thread so I don't really know. I was just putting points forwards about it and I will entirely take your point on. :smile:
Reply 201
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Honey, I don't care who your parents have sold horses too. If you can only ride one horse then you are not that good a rider. Maybe you should get off your privaleged pedastool where you base your abilities on what mummy and daddy do and get some experience riding horses you don't know that well.

And a country fair? Big deal.

I didn't say I can only ride one horse, I didn't say I can ride exclusive horses at all. If I was to want to go for a trot around a field and go on the road, that's completely fine. When it comes to show jumping, racing or being in a riot, I would not want to ride a horse that I had not trained and that is not 'mine'. As a person before you has said, the police force practically 'give' a horse owner a horse that they use as their own, if that is the case then good luck to them.

How dare you judge me just because I am on a "privaleged pedastool"? I wouldn't mind if you were to spell it correctly but that is just plain insulting, not to me, but to the human race.
Original post by glelin96
Well, a horse that is spooked, will kick or buck regardless of whether the rider is nervous.

If a rider is nervous, this raises the chance of the horse being spooked. Just the same as dogs, they can pick up on nervousness from their owner, if you have an owner that is scared the dog will bite someone, the dog is more likely to bite someone.

At the bold -- exactly. So people will be careful around the horses, is what I'm saying, in a way that they wouldn't be careful around policemen on, say, bikes.

the latter paragraph doesn't negate the point.
Reply 203
Original post by TimmonaPortella
At the bold -- exactly. So people will be careful around the horses, is what I'm saying, in a way that they wouldn't be careful around policemen on, say, bikes.

the latter paragraph doesn't negate the point.

No, you clearly didn't read the other points that I was making. I was using the fact that with dogs, if they bite someone, they are put down. I didn't know whether that fact was the same for horses, I have been informed otherwise so it's now irrelevant.
Original post by Hopple
You're 16, would have been 14 at the time. The only reason you don't know anyone assaulted/kettled by the police is because all the 'students' you know would have been at home watching Teletubbies at the time.

im a student and im 27, i've also never been in that sort of situation, your logic doesnt work really
Reply 205
Original post by Loucornall
im a student and im 27, i've also never been in that sort of situation, your logic doesnt work really

You'd have been 25, old enough for the police to assume you weren't a student hence not worth intimidating.
Reply 206
Original post by glelin96
Just a general question, why are horses used in riots? I have never really understood it.

It's big and strong. You are not.
Reply 207
Original post by xander93
It's big and strong. You are not.

Nice constructive comment there.

Quick Reply

Latest