The Student Room Group

Why are horses used in riots?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Gives the police a high vantage point and makes them look imposing
Reply 21
Original post by glelin96
Yes, horses are a bit more maneuverable but they are a lot less predictable, I have ridden them for 10 years and if I wasn't riding my horse, that I had trained, owned and cared for, I wouldn't feel safe riding it. A horse would pick up on this and be on edge.

YOu have a better view of the whole area/road when you are that high.
Reply 22
Original post by Hopple
Kind of cheating really. A cop would get into trouble for driving into people, but if their horse 'accidentally' trampled someone who 'spooked' it they'd get off.

I don't know the law but I would assume that if the horse was spooked, it would be put out of commission and might as a result be put down? I don't know, I'm just putting something forward. There was a case I saw on the news a while ago where a police sniffer dog was doing it's job looking for drugs, the drug user who's house was being searched, grabbed the dog, the dog got spooked, bit and as a result of this got put down. How is this fair?
(edited 11 years ago)
One - people are more reluctant to target animal
Two - there imposing
Three - high vantage point
Four and most importantly - would you stand in front of a charging horse?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 24
I don't know the law but I would assume that if the horse was spooked, it would be put out of commission and would might as a result be put down? I don't know, I'm just putting something forward. There was a case I saw on the news a while ago where a police sniffer dog was doing it's job looking for drugs, the drug user who's house was being searched, grabbed the dog, the dog got spooked, bit and as a result of this got put down. How is this fair?

Hmm, I suppose it might be. But it's easy to argue that a horse just didn't know where a person was if trampling someone than for a dog to actually chew on someone.

And I think it is fair enough to put a dog down for biting someone, if the police are treating the dog as a tool then it going nuts when someone grabs it is akin to a metal detector blowing up and chucking shrapnel at suspects.
Original post by Id and Ego seek
They're easier to train than elephants.
This.

I'd love to see police elephants though.
Original post by Llamageddon
This.

Why use elephants when you could ride a liger

Reply 27
Original post by Hopple
Hmm, I suppose it might be. But it's easy to argue that a horse just didn't know where a person was if trampling someone than for a dog to actually chew on someone.

And I think it is fair enough to put a dog down for biting someone, if the police are treating the dog as a tool then it going nuts when someone grabs it is akin to a metal detector blowing up and chucking shrapnel at suspects.

Would it? Horses easily get 'spooked' when they are in the wrong situation, when they get 'spooked' they buck, when they buck, they land on people. I would presume that this would be seen as unpredictability, much the same as a dog.

No, there was a video tape, it was due to be on one of these police shows on the television, but after recording it was clear what would happen, and that would be wrong to air on national television. The video was published by the media and you saw that the person who's house was being searched grabbed the dog, if someone grabbed me the way he did, I would turn and punch them.
Original post by ninja_pidgeon
Why use elephants when you could ride a liger

because they're huge.
This.

:lol: Great for crowd control at football games I'm sure.
Reply 30
Theyre big and excellent for trampling the unrully masses without resorting the the more modern approach of some countries, names ommited, who like to use tanks :rolleyes:
Reply 31
Would it? Horses easily get 'spooked' when they are in the wrong situation, when they get 'spooked' they buck, when they buck, they land on people. I would presume that this would be seen as unpredictability, much the same as a dog.

It's not a vicious reaction though. You could compare it to a car rolling over someone.
No, there was a video tape, it was due to be on one of these police shows on the television, but after recording it was clear what would happen, and that would be wrong to air on national television. The video was published by the media and you saw that the person who's house was being searched grabbed the dog, if someone grabbed me the way he did, I would turn and punch them.

You would, but the police use the dog as a sniffing tool, it's not supposed to use teeth.
Reply 32
This.

4735951934_184f6fbc3d_z.jpg
Reply 33
because they're huge.

If I had the choice between facing a jack russell dog or a pig, I would choose the pig. Size isn't the most important thing. :wink:
Reply 34
Original post by Hopple
It's not a vicious reaction though. You could compare it to a car rolling over someone.

You would, but the police use the dog as a sniffing tool, it's not supposed to use teeth.

No, the dog is not put down just because it is vicious, it is put down for being a risk to the public. That horse may be seen as putting the public at risk, so the decision may be the same.
Reply 35
Original post by thunder_chunky
That joke wasn't very stable.

Now now, let's not have you all jockeying around for the best horse-related gag. The thread will just gallop away from you otherwise.

:awesome:
I do know, I have ridden horses for the last ten years. I just don't see why they don't use a fleet of vans, the vans are the same size, inanimate object that can't be harmed in the same way a horse can.

A van (I presume you mean van as in a vehicle) would limit your vision massively. Horses are great at scaring the crap out of people, as you probably know. The police will train with a particular horse as well I'm sure.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Drewski
Now now, let's not have you all jockeying around for the best horse-related gag. The thread will just gallop away from you otherwise.

:awesome:

Oh dear, oh dear. :redface:
Reply 38
No, the dog is not put down just because it is vicious, it is put down for being a risk to the public. That horse may be seen as putting the public at risk, so the decision may be the same.

It's a risk because it used its teeth, something it isn't supposed to do.
Reply 39
Original post by Hopple
It's a risk because it used its teeth, something it isn't supposed to do.

The horse would be a risk because it bucked, something it isn't supposed to do.

Quick Reply

Latest