The Student Room Group

Why are horses used in riots?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Cos there's no grizzly bears in the UK
Reply 81
Original post by Hopple
It does matter. And a sniffer dog is just meant to sniff, not bite.

Well no it doesn't but whatever. Maybe they are, but what relevance does that have to the case? By using your logic a Cashier at Asda that reports their manager for sexual-harassment should be arrested because 'A cashier is just meant to cashier, not report'? That argument is totally invalid!
Reply 82
Original post by thunder_chunky
I was rather hoping our puns would have a snowball effect and more and more people would join in.

Seems we were the only ones with the bit between our teeth.
Reply 83
Original post by Loucornall
yes but the bigger they are the more gentle they tend to be, its the ponies you need to watch for, little ****s lol

Exactly the same case with dogs, we have kept many breeds over the years. I would be more scared of a jack russell running at me than a rottweiler running at me, perverse as that may be.
Original post by Drewski
Seems we were the only ones with the bit between our teeth.

Their loss. Nothing like a good pun exchange once in a while.
Reply 85
Original post by glelin96
I do know, I have ridden horses for the last ten years. I just don't see why they don't use a fleet of vans, the vans are the same size, inanimate object that can't be harmed in the same way a horse can.

Because a van can't defend itself. If a rioter kicks it and breaks the windows the policeman driving it can only react by alighting and driving him away or knocking him down with the van - only to find himself in court several days later.

But if you hit a horse, the horse hits you back. Simple as that, and the policeman cannot be made responsible for that as the animal only followed its own instinct and defended itself.
Reply 86
he (jack) gets lame from time to time so there can be extensive periods where he cant be ridden, he is a very gentle animal and fantastic with children (obv always supervised), if you leave his stable door open he follows you round the yard.
horses are very gentle by nature and i do know the police treat their horses fantastically its just the actual use for them i dont agree with.
i can hand on heart in my 25 years of owning horses never known one to be put down for agression or heard of any stories of it happening, i may be wrong but its very very unusual

That is amazing. When I was younger we had many animals come through our hands. The rescue dogs always seemed to be the best, almost asthough they were grateful for what you were doing for them.

As for the bold, that is fair enough, it was just another point that I was putting forward as being a possibility. I have ridden horses for a long while and have shown but I haven't heard of it either. I didn't know if that was down to my ignorance or what. I just thought that put in perspective, it would be very similar to the case with the sniffer dog.
Reply 87
Their loss. Nothing like a good pun exchange once in a while.

Why have you stopped? No photo finish for this one, you've fallen at the last.
Reply 88
Original post by Sir Fox
Because a van can't defend itself. If a rioter kicks it and breaks the windows the policeman driving it can only react by alighting and driving him away or knocking him down with the van - only to find himself in court several days later.

But if you hit a horse, the horse hits you back. Simple as that, and the policeman cannot be made responsible for that as the animal only followed its own instinct and defended itself.

Yes, but until the kind Lady informed me, I didn't know that horses may not be put down in similar circumstances to dogs that are put down for being dangerous. I know that a policeman would be put into court. My next argument is that if it's a case between a person getting a minor accident from the policeman driving into him or the horse bucking due to being spooked, landing on him and killing him, which is the more logical suggestion?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sir Fox

so because i man made piece of machinery which is not a living creature cant defend itself the logic is to use a horse which can die?

remember a police office CHOOSES to become a police officer knowing that they are putting themselves in a dangerous position daily, horses do not have the choice
Reply 90
Original post by Drewski

Last hurdle? Missed a chance there I thought.
Original post by Drewski

I've run out of material. :smile:
That is amazing. When I was younger we had many animals come through our hands. The rescue dogs always seemed to be the best, almost asthough they were grateful for what you were doing for them.

As for the bold, that is fair enough, it was just another point that I was putting forward as being a possibility. I have ridden horses for a long while and have shown but I haven't heard of it either. I didn't know if that was down to my ignorance or what. I just thought that put in perspective, it would be very similar to the case with the sniffer dog.

i agree with you about rescue dogs, we got a rescue do about 8 years ago and he was the most loyal thing going, he was a rotti x german shepherd, he was about 6 when we got him and he had to be 'PTS last year through illness, if i ever got another it would be a rescuse dog no question
Reply 93
I've run out of material. :smile:

Enough of this childish horsing around, I quite agree.
Reply 94
That joke wasn't very stable.

The puns! :banghead:

<3 x
Original post by LETSJaM
The puns! :banghead:

<3 x

right that was the last straw!

(s bad sorry haha)
Reply 96
right that was the last straw!

Indeed, time to ride off into the sunset...
Original post by Drewski
Indeed, time to ride off into the sunset...

time for a role in the hay?
Reply 98
time for a role in the hay?

Flogging the dead horse much?

<3 x
Reply 99
Just a general question, why are horses used in riots? I have never really understood it.

It's a flexible asset. It has speed and agility. It's scary being on the receiving end of it.

Riot vans are slow and inflexible. You also can't charge riot lines with vans because of health and safety. Riot vans are also perfect targets for petrol bombs and other debris - they're seen as legitimate targets by rioters as their occupants are considered to be "safe from harm", whereas a horse is not perceived as a legitimate target for such behaviour.

Having read your posts in this thread, I think you're being too sentimental - these are working animals that are highly trained and looked after.

Quick Reply

Latest