The Student Room Group

Why are horses used in riots?

Just a general question, why are horses used in riots? I have never really understood it.

Scroll to see replies

Size/intimidation really. No one is going to start a fight with a horse, or try to get in the way of one.
Are you going to stand in front of a galloping horse? That's why
Reply 3
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Size/intimidation really. No one is going to start a fight with a horse, or try to get in the way of one.

Oh reeeeeally?

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2011/09/mack_stingley_punched_minneapolis_police_horse.php

Sample quote:

Stingley's crime got him booked into Hennepin County Jail this morning, where he's since posted bail. Stingley is facing the misdmeanor charge of, "assaulting or harming a police horse."

That charge actually gets used more often than one might think, given its absurdity: According to Palmer, Minneapolis police "have guys assaulting horses maybe five or six times a year."

Also, wonderfully

"The horse is fine," Palmer said. "It's a horse."
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by glelin96
Just a general question, why are horses used in riots? I have never really understood it.

Because horses are frickin' huge my friend. Frickin' huge.
Reply 5
People are more reluctant to target animals
Reply 6
i dont neiggghhh

why have some people negged this? sorry for having a sense of humour :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Police horses are freaking massive scary things. You wouldn't win one of those in a fight...

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

OK, significantly fewer people will start a fight with a horse than will start a fight with the man sitting on top of it.
Reply 9
Original post by robo donkey
Are you going to stand in front of a galloping horse? That's why

Are you going to stand in front of a fleet of police vans? I would much rather see them out on the streets than the horses that are put at risk in these situations.
Original post by 123maz
i dont neiggghhh

That joke wasn't very stable.
Reply 11
It's easier to get across a crowd in them, you get a higher vantage point to see what's going on and spot what's happening :smile: its mainly about crowd control.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 12
OK, significantly fewer people will start a fight with a horse than will start a fight with the man sitting on top of it.

I dunno, they still get a bit of verbal http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/4606022.stm
Reply 13
Original post by Converse Rocker
Because horses are frickin' huge my friend. Frickin' huge.

I do know, I have ridden horses for the last ten years. I just don't see why they don't use a fleet of vans, the vans are the same size, inanimate object that can't be harmed in the same way a horse can.
They're easier to train than elephants.
Original post by glelin96
Are you going to stand in front of a fleet of police vans? I would much rather see them out on the streets than the horses that are put at risk in these situations.

Horses offer more manoeuvrability and better speed to respond in a riot situation
Reply 16

Kind of cheating really. A cop would get into trouble for driving into people, but if their horse 'accidentally' trampled someone who 'spooked' it they'd get off.
Their cawks are stronger than batons.
Not many people stand still when an 8 foot clydesdales is running towards them.
Reply 19
Original post by robo donkey
Horses offer more manoeuvrability and better speed to respond in a riot situation

Yes, horses are a bit more maneuverable but they are a lot less predictable, I have ridden them for 10 years and if I wasn't riding my horse, that I had trained, owned and cared for, I wouldn't feel safe riding it. A horse would pick up on this and be on edge.

Quick Reply

Latest