The Student Room Group

Part time PhD and part time work?

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of doing a PhD part time whilst working either part time or full time?

I am potentially looking at starting a PhD in September on a part time basis at Durham. I will need to work around 25 hours per week to financially support myself, leaving me with 2 days per week plus the weekends to concentrate on my PhD work. Does anyone have any similar experience or advice? The PhD is criminology based and my research supervisor seems confident that this is achievable in around 4-5 years.

Advice or experiences appreciated!
Reply 1
Why do you want to a PhD?
Reply 2
Mainly because I am passionate about my field and want to make a difference, which I think/hope my research could.

I also want a career in academia, with a view to lecturing in the future as well as continuing research.

Not entirely sure how this is relevant to my question though?!
Reply 3
Because the answer is different in either case. If you were doing a PhD for fun or wanted to go into the private sector afterwards then all you would need to do is pass the PhD. But if you want an academic job then just passing isnt enough, you need to have a decent publication record and network a bit in your field. Doing this with a part-time job can be difficult.

I presume your PhD isnt being funded by the university and your part time job is needed to support your living costs, so you unless you have a criminology related part-time job lined up (or teaching/etc at the university) then you are going to be wasting 25 hours a week doing some pointless job that has no relevance to your career, earning a minimum sustenance wage just to be able to live. At the end, you might not even be able to get an academic job, and I'm not sure what the private sector options for criminologists are (although Im going to guess "not great"). You need to do serious research into your career options.

A good rule of thumb is "do not do an unfunded PhD", unless you have a very good reason.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by poohat
Because the answer is different in either case. If you were doing a PhD for fun or wanted to go into the private sector afterwards then all you would need to do is pass the PhD. But if you want an academic job then just passing isnt enough, you need to have a decent publication record and network a bit in your field. Doing this with a part-time job is difficult, and in my experience the people who I have seen do part-time PhDs (admittedly only 3-4 so not a huge sample) have all just scraped the minimum required to pass, but had no chance of getting an academic job afterwards.

I presume your PhD isnt being funded by the university and your part time job is needed to support your living costs, so you are basically going to spend 5 years barely earning minimum wage in order to support yourself, working (I assume) some dire job for 3 days a week. At the end, you might not even be able to get an academic job, and I'm not sure what private sector options for criminologists are. You need to do serious research into what your career options are.

A good rule of thumb is "do not do an unfunded PhD", unless you have a very good reason.

For me, a full time has allowed me to just sit down and do what's necessary for the work, which is hours and hours of reading, reading and reading the literature; I can't imagine if I were to work and do a PhD :/

I'm doing an unfunded one but that's because the fees are quite reasonable, and the Uni is next door to my house which I think, is the best decision so far; saves a looooot of cost in terms of; money, time, effort, mood, etc.

But I need to get a job ASAP after finishing it :/
generally speaking, I think it's a bad idea. It will be difficult to divide your attention in this way and still produce something of high quality. You will also need to have a lot of self-discipline and constancy, which over the course of 4-5 years, is quite a lot to ask for. If you are ok with just getting one, it's probably doable, if you want a career in academia, I'd recommend you find a way to take one on full time.
Reply 6
Original post by poohat
Because the answer is different in either case. If you were doing a PhD for fun or wanted to go into the private sector afterwards then all you would need to do is pass the PhD. But if you want an academic job then just passing isnt enough, you need to have a decent publication record and network a bit in your field. Doing this with a part-time job can be difficult.

I presume your PhD isnt being funded by the university and your part time job is needed to support your living costs, so you unless you have a criminology related part-time job lined up (or teaching/etc at the university) then you are going to be wasting 25 hours a week doing some pointless job that has no relevance to your career, earning a minimum sustenance wage just to be able to live. At the end, you might not even be able to get an academic job, and I'm not sure what the private sector options for criminologists are (although Im going to guess "not great"). You need to do serious research into your career options.

Thank you all for your replies.

I am unsure why my research supervisor has suggested a part time PhD then, knowing my work commitments and my reasons for wanting to do a PhD.

You have basically confirmed my concerns that I wouldn't be able to dedicate enough time and effort into the PhD, as it is difficult to switch from your job to your studies etc.

My original plan was to start the MSc at Durham part time this year and apply for funding for the PhD to commence in a couple of years, having built on my experience by then and also my research skills etc. I assume you would all advise this as a better option?

I do want a career in academia, both lecturing and continued research. I don't have previous research experience, having never had to do a dissertation for my undergrad degree, so I did think the MSc would be a good idea, however my research superviser suggested I go straight onto the part time PhD instead.

Thanks again for the advice and opinions.
Reply 7
Also, just to clarify, my part time job pays much better than minimum wage and isn't a total dead ender, but it isn't what I want to do long term career wise either!

And the options for criminologists with PhD are not limited purely to academia, but can be in research, social work, probation, working for the ministry of justice etc. I should perhaps also clarify that my PhD is socio-legal and also gives me the option of legal careers should I want (which is unlikely I must admit).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Although I can't help so much, I've worked during my Undergraduate whilst studying f/t, and I can only say it has been difficult for me trying to achieve the best grades and read widely as well as working a job.

I wouldn't advise doing it for a Phd. I would advise doing your Msc first, anyway. Like the first poster said, a PhD with a view of going into academia requires a fairly robust publishing record as well as conferences and so on.
Reply 9
Original post by CUFCDan
Although I can't help so much, I've worked during my Undergraduate whilst studying f/t, and I can only say it has been difficult for me trying to achieve the best grades and read widely as well as working a job.

I wouldn't advise doing it for a Phd. I would advise doing your Msc first, anyway. Like the first poster said, a PhD with a view of going into academia requires a fairly robust publishing record as well as conferences and so on.

I also worked through my undergrad degree, although only about 15 hours a week, and I managed fine although as you say its the additonal conferences, networking, events, seminars etc. that are required at PhD level which concern me. I think I would def benefit from doing the masters first and trying to secure full funding for my PhD to allow me to devote my full time and attention to it, rather than having to break off to work 25 hours or so per week.

Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending