The Student Room Group

Applying as an individual The reference section

hi im applying to be a nurse this year i left school in 2004 and am 26 now im applying through ucas clearing and had a quick question i was hoping somebody could help with

- on the reference section it states

If you're applying independently
but would like your reference to be written by a registered school, college or other organisation, you can request that the centre completes the reference for you in Apply. Go to the 'Options' section and click 'Ask a registered school, college or organisation to write your reference only'

- do you think I could still do this / or should I apply directly - or should I tick it and then wait and find out if they can get a reference like this or not and go from there

either way is there a time frame for getting a reference ? with some employers they say it should be within 3 or 5 years - is that the same with education or does this vary from uni to uni ?

cheers
Reply 1
You need to check with your referee before you do anything on UCAS. If you fill in the section then find they won't/can't do it then you'll have more difficulty putting it right!

As you left in 2004, a more recent reference would be preferable. Could you ask your employer? Your school won't be able to commant on anything you've done since 2004 and that's a rather large gap.
Original post by I_love_laughing
hi im applying to be a nurse this year i left school in 2004 and am 26 now im applying through ucas clearing and had a quick question i was hoping somebody could help with

- on the reference section it states

If you're applying independently
but would like your reference to be written by a registered school, college or other organisation, you can request that the centre completes the reference for you in Apply. Go to the 'Options' section and click 'Ask a registered school, college or organisation to write your reference only'

- do you think I could still do this / or should I apply directly - or should I tick it and then wait and find out if they can get a reference like this or not and go from there

either way is there a time frame for getting a reference ? with some employers they say it should be within 3 or 5 years - is that the same with education or does this vary from uni to uni ?

cheers

I definitely wouldn't go with the school. It's so long ago that the message you would be conveying is that you've done absolutely nothing at all in between or that you are trying to hide what you have been doing, and neither of those is going to to do you any good whatsoever in getting into nursing. You need to find somebody who can pay tribute to the qualities and experience you have which will make you a good nurse. Employer, supervisor of work experience, somebody in that line.
thanks for teh replies

i spoke to ucas and they said unlike employees they dont mind when the reference is from -

and thats its down to teh individual uni itself - also that if they wanted another reference then I could supply that - before 20th sept

i ve been working at load of different places and freelance for many years so the best reference would be from my school

ill find out
Reply 4
Get your last/current employer to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending