The Student Room Group

Who are the most intelligent footballers?

Scroll to see replies

Giorgio Chiellini attended a scientific school ("liceo scientifico") and even graduated from the University of Turin with a degree in "Economics & Commerce".

Jean-Alain Boumsong studied mathematics at the University of Le Havre and the University of Turin.

Mario Ielpo, a former keeper, now works as a lawyer and graduated with the Italian version of a "first".
Clarke Carlisle went on countdown at one point and won a couple of games
Reply 42
Original post by Raja1988
Shaka Hislop

Something absurd - he was like an intern at NASA or something, wasn't he?

I seem to remember that Brian "Chocky" McClair had a degree in Maths.
Reply 43
Original post by Flyteryder
I think my A* in English beats that, since him and every other footballer can't seem to speak it.

How you've decided an A* in English beats an A* in Latin I have no idea.
Reply 44
Original post by hassi94
Was it Zidane who had an IQ higher than Einstein? Okay it's just an IQ test - I'm not gonna say he's cleverer than einstein, but it must mean enough that he's at least quite intelligent.

He is of course retired but nonetheless...

Well Einstein never took an IQ test so that's not true..
Winston Bogarde..
Reply 46
Steve Coppel is an economics graduate

Ian Dowie graduated in engineering

There was a Juve player who was studying econimics part time at uni and played against Arsenal in the CL a few years ago

And apparently Vincent Kompany solves maths problems on the team coach

Frank Lampard's A* in latin at a private school looks pale in comparison
Jens Lehmann has a degree in Economics :rolleyes:
Reply 48
Vincent Kompany is/was studying for an MBA.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Flyteryder
I think my A* in English beats that, since him and every other footballer can't seem to speak it.

Socrates

He was an extremely talented midfielder and is also a doctor of medicine and holds a doctorate degree in philosophy. Added to this he’s a political activist, writing newspaper columns about anything from sports and politics to economics. Surely Socrates one of the most well-rounded men of the last 100 years?!
Reply 51
Didn't Le Tissier have a degree?
Reply 52
robin van persie
I think Cech is pretty smart.
Frank Lampard has an IQ of more than 150, and 12 GCSE's with an A* in Latin.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dr00n
Well Einstein never took an IQ test so that's not true..

Well experts estimated Einsteins IQ at 160 and I think Zidane's was reportedly 165. This is literally from my memory of seeing this on tv like 7-8+ years ago.
Original post by hassi94
Well experts estimated Einsteins IQ at 160 and I think Zidane's was reportedly 165. This is literally from my memory of seeing this on tv like 7-8+ years ago.

This is just my impression but isn't 160 a little low for someone who virtually wrote the book of modern physical theories and first theorised the atom bomb?
Original post by Mrkingpenguin
holds a doctorate degree in philosophy.

Don't think this part is true. There was a Socrates who was pretty decent at philosophy but he wasn't the one you're thinking of :tongue:
Original post by Mrkingpenguin
This is just my impression but isn't 160 a little low for someone who virtually wrote the book of modern physical theories and first theorised the atom bomb?

I think it was a rough range of 160-180 so media took the low end to be able to say 'zidanes is higher'.

Either way, Einstein himself said he wasn't very smart, he doesn't need to have massive raw intelligence (which is what IQ aims to calculate) to be a brilliant physicist.

Anyway, getting off topic. I hear Zidane is smart - that's my point :tongue:
Reply 59
IIRC Bergkamp did mech eng at Bath

Quick Reply

Latest