Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Landlord not sending me a copy of my contract & deposit receipt

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've signed and sent off my contract to her almost a month ago now and she still hasn't sent me my copy or the contract or any sort of receipt for my deposit.

a week ago(almost 2 now) I sent her a text telling her I am waiting for my copy of the contract and recept for the deposit. She hasn't replied to my txt and hasn't sent me anything.

My friend(who will be my flatmate in this house) had this woman as a landlord last year, so I know she isn't a hustler and ran away with my money. She's just terribly unprofessional and lazy. My friend says she has a history of not replying to txts and even had to photocopy the contract herself.

I'm gonna send her another txt tomorrow in a more serious tone. If she ignores me again I will try and call her(she also doesn't pickup very often)

What are my legal options with this useless cow? If she continues to ignore me I want to threaten her legally if I can. All I want is a copy of the contract(which I'm sure I'm legally abliged to) and some sort of recept for my deposit!

Help me out please, I want this sorted before I have to move in.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sort him out
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Id just call her up tomorrow and leave a voicemail if she doesnt pick up, then keep leavin voicemails
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    Texts are easy to ignore. It is much harder to ignore a phone call so verbal communication is always better for a faster response for this kind of situation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you have her address? If so, put things in writing ideally with recorded delivery and keep a copy of the letter.

If she is that unprofessional make sure an inventory gets done and she protects your deposit. Also check she has a gas certificate and an HMO license if applicable.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 29, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.