The Student Room Group

Do you bull**** your way to jobs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jack93o
Yeah but its been used so commonly that its become an obvious bull**** answer. I honestly don't know what else to say though for that question :confused:

I always say something that I have struggled with in the past but now am working to improve.

"I used to sometimes struggle to ask for help if I was getting stuck with something. I'd be determined to try and see it out myself. I've learnt not to be so stubborn and that jobs can get completed just as well and often faster if you ask for help earlier on. People are usually happy to help as long as you pay attention to what they say so that you can do it yourself the next time."

"Time management always could to be a problem for me so I've had to become more organised. I've been using a diary for the last year and I've found that really helps you plan work out. Although I have always finished jobs on time I could find myself leaving a lot to the last minute, now I get more done earlier on and find it a better way of doing things."

So yes, I do bull**** in interviews.
Reply 21
Original post by Narcissist
I always say something that I have struggled with in the past but now am working to improve.

"I used to sometimes struggle to ask for help if I was getting stuck with something. I'd be determined to try and see it out myself. I've learnt not to be so stubborn and that jobs can get completed just as well and often faster if you ask for help earlier on. People are usually happy to help as long as you pay attention to what they say so that you can do it yourself the next time."

"Time management always could to be a problem for me so I've had to become more organised. I've been using a diary for the last year and I've found that really helps you plan work out. Although I have always finished jobs on time I could find myself leaving a lot to the last minute, now I get more done earlier on and find it a better way of doing things."

So yes, I do bull**** in interviews.

I am so copying that :rofl:
Reply 22
I've tried the honest approach when searching for jobs and it didn't work out. I've now resorted to lying or sugar coating and exaggerating some areas of my experience.
My lies are similar to poster #20 Laura 1234, working well in a team, meeting and exceeding targets, my so called passion for whatever job I’m applying for :rolleyes: I don't care if I’m lying to get my foot through the door, it's hard enough securing a job with all the competition, so I’d rather lie my way through online apps and secure an interview than tell the truth and not even get the 'unfortunately, your application was unsuccessful on this occasion' email.
No. In my line of work (IT) the good companies won't ask you too many bull**** questions, you'll get technical questions and if you try to bull**** your way through without really knowing what you're talking about you get turned down. Far better to admit it.

Luckily in my more menial jobs I've had in the past like cleaning they've never tried to ask me bull**** questions like why you'd want to do the job :tongue:

My least favourite interview question is always that damn strengths/weaknesses one.
"What is your greatest weakness?"

Indeed. My greatest weakness would be my uncontrollable loss of honesty upon encountering job application questions such as "what is your greatest weakness", complicated by the voices that tell me how those who knowingly ask for bull**** should expect to receive it so stuff it I should just keep writing what I'm about to write.

So without further ado, my greatest weakness is my perfectionism that compels me to finish a job to the highest possible standard even if it sometimes may cause delays to myself or my coworkers; a problem that I wish to bring to greater balance through working in your company.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Arekkusu
Hehehe just you wait!

(As an aside how did you get two summer jobs (at real companies too)?)

Lol optimistic.

Next and Mcdonald's were both online applications that you just keep filling in until you get lucky.
Reply 26
Whether it's necessary to bull**** is debatable, but unfortunately 99% of the time job applications are simply about jumping through hoops so whilst you may not have to lie in the process, you invariably do have to mould everything you want to get across into answers that fit the employer's questions.
Reply 27
Original post by mrnightcat
"What is your greatest weakness?"

Indeed. My greatest weakness would be my uncontrollable loss of honesty upon encountering job application questions such as "what is your greatest weakness", complicated by the voices that tell me how those who knowingly ask for bull**** should expect to receive it so stuff it I should just keep writing what I'm about to write.

So without further ado, my greatest weakness is my perfectionism that compels me to finish a job to the highest possible standard even if it sometimes may cause delays to myself or my coworkers; a problem that I wish to bring to greater balance through working in your company.

Brilliant post, sir :biggrin:
Well if I were totally honest with them I wouldn't expect to get offered any jobs.
Original post by CJM13
It always annoys when they ask: "What is your biggest weakness."

Everyone always puts "perfectionist".

I got biggest weakness, describe yourself in 3 words and then the cherry on the cake 'If we were to ask your boss about you right now, what would they say'. All in a row, I just laughed after the 3rd one. I could not believe they would put 3 such ridiculous questions in one interview.

Any company that see's it fit to ask such questions needs to sack their HR department.
I've never completely bull****ted in an interview, but I guess I make myself sound better by bigging up the experience I have...
Interviewer: "What's your one weakness?"

Bull**** answer: "Being a perfectionist."

Honest answer: "Bullets."
Reply 32
i've bull**** in nearly all my interviews and application forms.
but yeah looks where it's gotten me. at present 16 years of age with no part time job. (this is mainly because i can't be asked at times, too lazy to do things like finding a job and filling the application form out.) but it has done me many wonders. i would expand but it would take me ages.
I thought everyone bull****ted?
Reply 34
I have been completley honest through out my job applications and interviews, but guess what I had no success. Just had an interview last week and the interviewer was asking me questions about various things I just couldn't come up with any lies lol, I don't know why. They said the will contact me 2 or 3 days later but I didn't hear anything yet. tbh I wish I b***** more and sold myself to them.
Reply 35
Instead of interviews why can't they do job trial days to see who CAN ACTUALLY DO THE JOB!!
Is there a disorder for people who like to correct other people when they hear misleading information and the more time they spend not correcting, the more they will want to correct them? Basically, I am talking about acting like Sheldon - he likes to correct people when he hears incorrect information - and I find it annoying when I hear incorrect stuff as well.
Original post by CJM13
It always annoys when they ask: "What is your biggest weakness."

Everyone always puts "perfectionist".

I just say I don't know, all the weakness that have been pointed out to me in the fast I've looked at reviewed and made sure I changed so it was no longer a weakness, not saying I'm perfect now, but when I come across a weakness I strive to make sure it no longer is one..

Seems to work lmao
If they ask you a stupid question about your weakness, you're practically obliged to answer "kryptonite".
Original post by Samrout
lol... when I was 15 I failed a mcdonalds application 4 times. It was a multiple choice and I evidently picked the wrong ones...
I've failed it. I picked every answer that I thought they would want with the exception of one. They asked if I had ever lied to my parents.

OF COURSE I HAVE LIED TO MY PARENTS! many times! Anybody who says they haven't is lying to the questionnaire!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending