Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslims, could you ever bring yourself not to fast?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    Yeah I feel for Muslims right now. Its boiling right now, up to 30 degrees outside, I'm sure their God would rather not see his people suffer, no?

I am not suffering. Infact my body is cleansing itself from all the toxins from the past food I ate. I could never feel any better and yes it's a nice warm whether outside. If only you knew the benefits of the fasting. (: You should try it.
    • 135 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANewStudent)
    I am not suffering. Infact my body is cleansing itself from all the toxins from the past food I ate. I could never feel any better and yes it's a nice warm whether outside. If only you knew the benefits of the fasting. (: You should try it.
    First you'd have to persuade him Islam is the 1 true religion don't you think.

EDIT: Getting negged but it's the truth, from what he's implied why else would he do it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I feel for Muslims right now. Its boiling right now, up to 30 degrees outside, I'm sure their God would rather not see his people suffer, no?
    There's an invention called a fan. It is an apparatus with rotating blades that creates a current of air for cooling or ventilation.

This is what it looks like, just incase you didn't know:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1342363653536.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	164597
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Actually I heard fasting can be unhealthy because your body effectively goes into 'starve' mode when you've not eaten or drank for such a long period of time.

But anyway I would kill for a drop of water if I was in the middle of fasting these conditions right now. So no thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZA.1)
    There's an invention called a fan. It is an apparatus with rotating blades that creates a current of air for cooling or ventilation.

This is what it looks like, just incase you didn't know:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1342363653536.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	164597
    have fun carrying that outside :lol:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaboon-supreme)
    no he is not muslim, infact he hates islamand muslims. just look at his past comments. it isabit like a nazi discribing what he thinks of hanukkah
    No, why would I hate Muslims? My whole family are Muslims; find me one comment where I express hatred for Muslims as a whole?

There's a difference between criticising Islam and hating Muslims, a huge difference.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politricks)
    Edit: Some Many Muslims*. Most Muslims I know rarely pray or read from the Qur'an, because most of the time they won't get shamed for not doing so, however, come Ramadan, they do get shamed by their peers and family for not fasting, so they fast so they don't get looked down on by their holier-than-thou friends, I doubt some of them fast because they sincerely want to, they probably scoff on goodies when nobody's looking.
    Perhaps what you're looking at are the so-called 'Ramadhan Muslims', who believe that a month of fasting and worship is sufficient to expiate them of their sins committed during the remainder of the year.

Also, it might be worth mentioning that some Muslims consider Ramadhan>>>other religious obligations. So it comes as no surprise when said group are more than eager to participate is a month of fasting rather than their everyday prayers.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No, why would I hate Muslims? My whole family are Muslims; find me one comment where I express hatred for Muslims as a whole?

There's a difference between criticising Islam and hating Muslims, a huge difference.
    Go and join Aiyshizzle with your Muslim mocking. Go spend your time organising a hook up for CEMB.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    First you'd have to persuade him Islam is the 1 true religion don't you think.
    No, I don't have to. I was just asking him if he could try fast for a period of time. It is a good method of learning self-control, it helps to detoxify your body, helps him to understand what poor people go through for a period of time. That's it. And if he focuses on his spirituality during, it will be worth it. You don't have to be a Muslim to fast, Christians do, Hindus do it, even non-religious people do it sometimes.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZA.1)
    Go and join Aiyshizzle with your Muslim mocking.
    You still haven't shown me one post where I express hatred for the Muslim population.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Food fasting is easy. Not drinking any water throughout the day is the bloody tough part. I'm doing an internship in Hong Kong. I can certainly attest to that from watching my muslim colleagues.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    You still haven't shown me one post where I express hatred for the Muslim population.
    Hatred? Maybe not. Scorn, contempt, disrespect, not too hard to find.
    • 135 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't have to. I was just asking him if he could try fast for a period of time. It is a good method of learning self-control, it helps to detoxify your body, helps him to understand what poor people go through for a period of time. That's it. And if he focuses on his spirituality during, it will be worth it. You don't have to be a Muslim to fast, Christians do, Hindus do it, even non-religious people do it sometimes.
    You don't have to fast to be a good person though (same goes for things such as praying btw) other religions do it for different reasons such as relating to their diet etc they probs don't it do it for month every year though. Overall I think it's unnecessary tbh & this is coming from someone brought up in a muslim family but not afraid to question the faith.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Actually I heard fasting can be unhealthy because your body effectively goes into 'starve' mode when you've not eaten or drank for such a long period of time.

But anyway I would kill for a drop of water if I was in the middle of fasting these conditions right now. So no thanks
    No it doesn't. Infact fasting helps you to detoxify your body, and it's not like we are not eating for days you know like how people do not eat anything day or night for a couple of days now THAT is REAL suffering right there. When we Muslims fast in Ramadan we just switch our times for eating and we keep to our main meals which is breakfast at 5am and dinner at 9pm. The only time you are not allowed to fast is if you are sick, too old, you are too young(under 12) because you are still at a baby stage under 12 years old and you need lunch.

There are many families out there that eats breakfast and dinner and no lunch and they are perfectly healthy. (:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Hagen)
    Nobody actually knows if you're fasting or not though, surely? If you don't want them to know, I'm guessing it's fairly easy to slip away for a quick bite?
    I don't think Muslims fast just because they feel pressured to do so; the more likely reason is that they want to be good Muslims and they believe that by fasting during Ramadan is a way of them showing to Allah that they are good people.

Or something like that.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Hatred? Maybe not. Scorn, contempt, disrespect, not too hard to find.
    Scorn and contempt for Muslims? No.
    Disrespect? Yes, most Muslims will find my posts disrespectful.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flyteryder)
    I know it's an integral part of Islam, but could you ever bring yourself not to do it? Do you ever think that you just don't want or just can't force yourself to do it some years, then don't do it? How would you feel if you didn't fast? How angry or annoyed do you think Allah would be if you didn't fast? Do you think Allah would forgive you if you weren't sorry for not fasting?

Before I get negged, I'm not trying to be offensive. I'm not saying that Islam is wrong or fasting is wrong; I respect that you have a religion and that fasting is a part of it. I'm just genuinely interested in sensible responses.

Edit: TELL ME WHY I'M GETTING NEGGED. I've tried to be as respectful as possible. I haven't said anything bad about Islam.
    Well its said that if you miss one fast during Ramadan you will never be able to make it up again if you fasted every day for the rest of your life.. I think that explains it all.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do muslim olympic athletes fast too or is that an exemption?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    You don't have to fast to be a good person though (same goes for things such as praying btw) other religions do it for different reasons such as relating to their diet etc they probs don't it do it for month every year though. Overall I think it's unnecessary tbh & this is coming from someone brought up in a muslim family but not afraid to question the faith.
    Just because you think it's unnessisary does not mean fasting is wrong. If you choose not to fast then you won't benefit the blessings you get when fasting. It's up to you. But fasting is beneficial in many ways you don't know and I suggest to you that you look it up and see if maybe you are wrong?
    I never did say that in order to be a good person you have to fast, I never said that. And you actually quoted me lol. I said fasting helps you improve your condition, helps you to build self-control. It's one method out of all the methods to do so.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marco1)
    Do muslim olympic athletes fast too or is that an exemption?
    I think there's one Muslim athlete who's making up for not fasting by buying iftar for loads of people.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 8, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.