Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Misonception about Allaah!

Announcements Posted on
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Moon god"

This thread is about a misconception some people (particularly Christians) have about Allaah.

I've observed some people claim us Muslims worship "A moon god who lives in the a box in the middle of the desert".

This is one of the most ignorant and foolish, if not "The most Ignorant and foolish" things I've ever read in my life.

About the One worshiped in Islam:

According to Islam, there is only One God - Allaah. Allaah is an 'Arabic word composed of "Al" and "Ilah". "Al" means "The" and "Ilah" means god, deity or the one who is worshiped. So Allaah means "The One Who is worshiped" not just anyone who is worshiped. Allaah best describes himself in four simple verses in the Qur'an as:

Say, "He is Allah , [who is] One,
    Allah , the Eternal Refuge.
    "He begets not, nor was He begotten;
    "And there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him."

[Surah Ikhlas:1-4]

I'm still clueless how people ended up thinking Islam asks to worship a "moon god". The only relation the Moon has with Allaah is that the moon is one of Allaah's creation. This is how it is mentioned in the Qur'an. And the only relation we muslims have with the moon is that we follow the lunar calender. So the crescent is the beginning of an Islamic month and the full moon it's mid.

Where is Allaah:

Allaah DoesNOT live in Kaa'ba. It's just a mosque built by Ibrahim (Peace be upon him) and a direction to which we pray. It's symbolic, for unifying the Muslims when they pray. When we don't know the direction of the Kaa'ba or when we can't face it e.g while traveling etc we pray in whatever direction we are facing.
    It is called Baitullah or House of Allaah to elevate it's position. In classical 'Arabic when something is tied to Allaah it is to elevate it's position, to show that it's sacred or holy. It doesn't mean it's actually where Allaah lives. In the Qur'an we are told that Allaah is on His thorn above the seven heavens:

And (remember) when Allah said: "O 'Iesa (Jesus)! I will take you and raise you to Myself and clear you [of the forged statement that 'Iesa (Jesus) is Allah's son] of those who disbelieve, and I will make those who follow you (Monotheists, who worship none but Allah) superior to those who disbelieve [in the Oneness of Allah, or disbelieve in some of His Messengers, e.g. Muhammad SAW, 'Iesa (Jesus), Musa (Moses), etc., or in His Holy Books, e.g. the Taurat (Torah), the Injeel (Gospel), the Quran] till the Day of Resurrection. Then you will return to Me and I will judge between you in the matters in which you used to dispute." [Surah Ale`Imra: 55]

Do you feel secure that He, Who is over the heaven (Allah), will not cause the earth to sink with you, then behold it shakes (as in an earthquake)?

Or do you feel secure that He, Who is over the heaven (Allah), will not send against you a violent whirlwind? Then you shall know how (terrible) has been My Warning?

[Surah Mulk :16-17]

Conclusion:

Muslims don't worship a moon god, we worship Allaah.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's nice. Now all you have to do is provide evidence that Allah exists. I'll wait.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    no you worship an imaginary friend arnt most of you a bit too old for that?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by At peace)
    X
    Didn't you just create an imaginary misconception only to be able to tell people something about Islam? Honestly, I've never come across someone who thought that muslims whorship a moon god in a little box in the desert ... :rolleyes:
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Fox)
    Didn't you just create an imaginary misconception only to be able to tell people something about Islam? Honestly, I've never come across someone who thought that muslims whorship a moon god in a little box in the desert ... :rolleyes:
    thats what I thought, than I google searched it now :facepalm:
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure this isn't an attack on the Trinity?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone actually believes that Muslims worship a moon god in a box in the desert (at least I hope not, if they have any education at all). Although I have heard this "moon god" thing said quite often, probably just to poke fun at Muslims rather than an actual misconception - in the same way religious people are often in general said to have an "imaginary friend in the sky" or "invisible man in the clouds" or something. It's just one of those things that seems to have caught on.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by At peace)
    "Moon god"
    I have yet to hear of anyone actually believing that muslims worship a moon god. I would elaborate more, but I need to create a thread dispelling the widely held belief that eating nails is beneficial to your health.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    You haven't met Martyn* have you :rolleyes:
    • 69 followers

ReputationRep:
    She's not making it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah_as_Moon-god
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It comes as no surprise to me, as if people are willing to live their life according to a man made god with no credible evidence, then humans will believe anything.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KCosmo)
    I have yet to hear of anyone actually believing that muslims worship a moon god. I would elaborate more, but I need to create a thread dispelling the widely held belief that eating nails is beneficial to your health.
    It's usually hardcore Christian Missionaries who sometimes bring it up.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I actually worship the napkin. Allah is a napkin. His prophet is a teapot.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prog2djent)
    Alllaaahhh, more and more I learn arabic seems like a Pseud-text language.

I actually worship the napkin. Allah is a napkin. His prophet is a teapot.
    And you are what? Stupid? I guess so.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Another misconception: Allah is an imaginary being in the sky that puts people into fire if they don't believe in him.

Errr whoops, actually, that's not a misconception! LOL
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe Islam drew from Moon God Worship as Christianity Draws from Sun God ideas

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 25, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.