Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would the world be a better place overall without religion?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Would the world be better overall without religion?
    Yes
    63.64%
    No
    21.59%
    About the same
    14.77%

• 137 followers

ReputationRep:
    Discuss
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    in the first world yes, in the third world no.

don't really know what the second world is.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)

2nd world is communism

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, humanity is the problem. Every problem that religion would have created, humanity will find an alternative route to that problem.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is the religion forum, the hub for stubborn denailist Muslims and confused chritians, its half and half, put it in society and the ratio would be 8:2 for the good side.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so.

One major criticism of religion (other than it being bat**** crazy) is that it creates schisms in society. However, these schisms would exist regardless of religion, as religion is so often predicated by other features, such as geopolitical location, political opinion, social class, gender, race; that removing religion from the equation would just mean that humanity would fill that void with yet another arbitrary divisive faction.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Religion is not perfect, because humans create all sorts of rules over the years. Or the opposite abandoned certain rules over the years. Who's right and who's wrong no one knows. But reality is that relegion gives hope to many people.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look at all the evil that is carried out in the name of religion and then you have your answer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course.
    For religion to make the world a better place it would have to make people do more good things and less bad things. Now:
    - people do good things because they want to feel good about themselves, not because of religion;
    - people do bad things sometimes because of religion. If anything religion tells you that you can do the worst **** and still get away with it.
    Religion is a fraud from the moment it assumes that a non-religious person can't be better than a religious person.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes, we would still have the world trade centers and bins in the london underground
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    original thread. I'm sure there is a correct answer. I like how you've defined terms like "better" and "religion" to reduce ambiguity and confusion.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do I honestly think so? No.

Mankind will always find an excuse for screwing over his fellow human being. We are living on a dying planet with dwindling resourves and growing inequality. It's only going to get worse, regardless of religion.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is two hands working do far more than two hands praying...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No ..Without REligion There will be no Good And Bad.. There will be no such a thing as Justice ..There will be no such thing as freedom ...And wars now compared to a world with no religions are like a big mac compared to Kings Bugers!!
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tarekmo)
    No ..Without REligion There will be no Good And Bad.. There will be no such a thing as Justice ..There will be no such thing as freedom ...And wars now compared to a world with no religions are like a big mac compared to Kings Bugers!!
    There is such a thing as morals...
    Religion =/= Morals. Morals existed WAAAAAY before religion did.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to say yes, but without religion we'd just find something else to create wars, to oppress and control people, to discriminate and segregate people, and to justify horrific crimes. It's human nature. Still, yes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    There is such a thing as morals...
    Religion =/= Morals. Morals existed WAAAAAY before religion did.
    There is no such thing AS Moral BEfore REligion ..Why do you think all this slavery thing BEgan dude?!?! Why A big amount of girls were buried alive and women had no place at society.. Why killing had no limits..And so did stealing
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tarekmo)
    There is no such thing AS Moral BEfore REligion ..Why do you think all this slavery thing BEgan dude?!?! Why A big amount of girls were buried alive and women had no place at society.. Why killing had no limits..And so did stealing
    OK,
    So, if I gave a random persona a gun and said "The person in front of you has raped 15 women and brutally killed 3 children" - would you pull the trigger?
    I can say I WOULDN'T, I am NOT religious but I think he would deserve to be punished. So, I would opt for life in prison.

If you were passing a stall and the owner was facing away from you talking to someone else giving you the perfect opportunity to take something (like a drink, sandwich, cake etc)... would you take it? (This happened to me a couple of days ago), I didn't take a thing because I know it is wrong because I have MORALS.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. With or without religion people would still be dicks to each other. It's just that religion has kept the monopoly on a lot of the issues that make it appear bigoted and backwards at times.

Religion probably helped us a lot before we were more civilised but right now, I don't think it does anything that useful.

So it's quite difficult to say. It's easy to say that we'd be without homosexual discrimination or crap like faith healing but humans are good at being stupid so we'd replace it with something else.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)

You seem to forget that it's actually the third world (many people would prefer if you said 'developing countries' though) where religion has the worst effects - Somalia, Nigeria, Kenya, Myanmar ...

I've lived in a developing country and I can tell you that the people over there would get so much more things done if they didn't spend half a day a week in church and give half of their fortunes so that the church can afford an SUV.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 27, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.