Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would the world be a better place overall without religion?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: Would the world be better overall without religion?
    Yes
    63.64%
    No
    21.59%
    About the same
    14.77%

• 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tarekmo)
    There is no such thing AS Moral BEfore REligion ..Why do you think all this slavery thing BEgan dude?!?! Why A big amount of girls were buried alive and women had no place at society.. Why killing had no limits..And so did stealing
    :rofl:

In order to avoid warning points for only having posted a smiley:

On this planet the countries which are most religious are the least democratic (with the exemption of the US) and offer the least freedom to their citizens.

It's religion which has oppressed women and discriminated against people of other (or no) faiths for thousands of years ... and please tell me how stealing has anything to do with religion?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some people would be lost and would have less morals.

On the otherhand there would be less opression and wars in the name of god.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    OK,
    So, if I gave a random persona a gun and said "The person in front of you has raped 15 women and brutally killed 3 children" - would you pull the trigger?
    I can say I WOULDN'T, I am NOT religious but I think he would deserve to be punished. So, I would opt for life in prison.

If you were passing a stall and the owner was facing away from you talking to someone else giving you the perfect opportunity to take something (like a drink, sandwich, cake etc)... would you take it? (This happened to me a couple of days ago), I didn't take a thing because I know it is wrong because I have MORALS.
    But These Morals Come from The world surrouding You..When you see the morrals and Sympathy and kindness you will tend to go for it.. But if you do something wrong and say **** morrals you will never regret it.. I Personally think if There was no God and noone believed in God i would DO Stuff you you would never even think of cuz ill say i live once and then when i die nothing will happen,,, ill just do what i like in this life..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Fox)
    :rofl:

In order to avoid warning points for only having posted a smiley:

On this planet the countries which are most religious are the least democratic (with the exemption of the US) and offer the least freedom to their citizens.

It's religion which has oppressed women and discriminated against people of other (or no) faiths for thousands of years ... and please tell me how stealing has anything to do with religion?
    Name 1 Country in the World that is Ruled By REligion ?!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

"A futuristic universe where Christianity never existed and the Earth became more advanced."

Why yes, yes it would.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Name 1 Country in the World that is Ruled By REligion ?!
    Saudi-Arabia, Iran, Vatican City, Yemen, Afghanistan, Somalia, Sudan, Mauritania, Oman? :rolleyes:
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    No it would not be a better place.
    Laws and issues of morality derived from religious teachings
    Religion gives meaning to life & promotes good lives
    People seem to blame religion for anything bad that happens, but no religion has any intentions to reduce the quality of life of others, its individuals placed in a segregated society..

Religion probably brings together people of different backgrounds and ethnicity in society and definitely encourages community cohesion.

God save our gracious queen <-- an example of just how religion can affect lives. Fortunately, we live in a place where people of all different religions can live together and learn from each other. This may be the problem when it comes to countries with less civilisation, as opposed to third world countries exclusively (what kind of ignorance is that assumption).

Religion can't be blamed for people who seem to do things for the religion, because like I said, that's the individual who no longer feels a part of society.

Most religions promote peace & harmony. But because it may not have an impact on others doesn't mean to say that we would live better without religion.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Saudi-Arabia, Iran, Vatican City, Yemen, Afghanistan, Somalia, Sudan, Mauritania, Oman? :rolleyes:
    These Are ALl Islamic And SAudi Arabia ISnt A Islamic City..ITs just Their Kings Are putting their own Rules And hiding behind the name of ISlam .. THey say Women cant drive ,,,There is nothing at all in quraan that says they cant ,,but ofcourse the royal women can drive... So Ignore S.A ...But other Cities whats wrong with them ?!?! i think They Are The Best Cities IN the world from many sides !!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask what is it with capitalising the first two letters for?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    These Are ALl Islamic And SAudi Arabia ISnt A Islamic City..ITs just Their Kings Are putting their own Rules And hiding behind the name of ISlam .. THey say Women cant drive ,,,There is nothing at all in quraan that says they cant ,,but ofcourse the royal women can drive... So Ignore S.A ...But other Cities whats wrong with them ?!?! i think They Are The Best Cities IN the world from many sides !!
    Cities?! Dude, you aren't bringing forward any kind of argument to back your weird claims so I don't see any point in this discussion ...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cities?! Dude, you aren't bringing forward any kind of argument to back your weird claims so I don't see any point in this discussion ...
    Country.. Big Deal !!! did you too ever consider there are people whose first language isnt english -.- !!! And my Point is i would kill people for fun everyday if i dont think there is a judgement day ..
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Country.. Big Deal !!! did you too ever consider there are people whose first language isnt english -.- !!! And my Point is i would kill people for fun everyday if i dont think there is a judgement day ..
    English isn't my first language either - I've just been confused about the whole city thing.

I don't believe in judgement day, hundreds of millions of people in this world don't (especially in Europe where the number of people who actually believe in any kind of god is quite low) and I still don't feel the desire to murder, rape, steal or whatever ... We have a highly effective judicial system.

Just compare crime rates, development, human rights records and democracy in countries with a high percentage of religious people to those with a low proportion of religious people.

You'll see that the less religious states are almost always more developed, have better human rights records, are more democratic, have lower crime rates ...
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    A nice article:

The world's happiest countries are the least religious
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    English isn't my first language either - I've just been confused about the whole city thing.

I don't believe in judgement day, hundreds of millions of people in this world don't (especially in Europe where the number of people who actually believe in any kind of god is quite low) and I still don't feel the desire to murder, rape, steal or whatever ... We have a highly effective judicial system.

Just compare crime rates, development, human rights records and democracy in countries with a high percentage of religious people to those with a low proportion of religious people.

You'll see that the less religious states are almost always more developed, have better human rights records, are more democratic, have lower crime rates ...
    Did you ever think That Little percentage of yours that there might be a god.. THe Hidden Maybe there is a God .... i think at least have a little faith and just believe..just in case ... And i have desire to enter houses kill people steal their stuff and live like nothing is going to happen !!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    People who actually think the world would be better without religion and kidding themselves. Sure, religion has brought lots of destructive things with it (mainly because it is often interpreted with extremist agenda) but you cannot possibly deny the good it has done.

Salvation army, Red Cross, American Oxfam, CARE, etc are all Christian organizations that have mobilized countless people to do good in the world. You cannot just sit there at your computers are ignore all that work. The best possible answer is to say the world would be the same.

Let's be honest with ourselves people...it's not religion that is screwing up this world...it's people. We're the bloody problem.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    Salvation army, Red Cross, American Oxfam, CARE, etc are all Christian organizations that have mobilized countless people to do good in the world.
    Is that so? :rolleyes: Your knowledge about said organisations seems to be tiny. From the date of their foundation the Red Cross, Oxfam and CARE have all been non-religious, secular organisations which do not have any affiliations with religious groups et. al.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    People go on about how no religion would make the world a lot better but if you look at it from the standpoint of science advancing being good then you´re totally ignoring what science has brought on the weaponery front. Not saying that either religion or science are bad things, but to go on about one and ignore the faults of it is stupid.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You seem to forget that it's actually the third world (many people would prefer if you said 'developing countries' though) where religion has the worst effects - Somalia, Nigeria, Kenya, Myanmar ...

I've lived in a developing country and I can tell you that the people over there would get so much more things done if they didn't spend half a day a week in church and give half of their fortunes so that the church can afford an SUV.
    this is probably true but I said that because I watched this documentary the other night, "vice guide to liberia" (it's on youtube, very good documentary). That country seems to be as bad as any place on earth. The only part of the documentary where it showed even marginally happy people that weren't living like animals was a part with this church group, where a war criminal (he was a murderer of 20,000-30,000 people, child-sacrificer, cannibal) had changed his ways and became a pastor. If it wasn't for that sort of thing, I don't think any of the people in those places would have any hope left or reason to behave themselves.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree.... people spend too much time in a building listening to stories (generally a guidance to be a better person) then leave and cause carnage to anyone who chooses to believe something else.

Too much violence, war, opression, facism and overall Hate is breeded by outdated religion all just to keep us occupied with hating each other rather than ask why it happens in the first place!

People hand over everything they own ... and get nothing in return than a guilt trip if you don't live your life the way you are told to.

The Church was the Most profitable buisness in the world in the late 18th early 19th century. It was a registered buisness. Not a charity.

Dosen't that say it all?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I feel its easy to blame/credit religion for what are intrinsically human behaviours. In many situations I believe people use religion to justify otherwise unsavory action, be it opposing gay marriage or crusading across Europe.

In the same way, there are many mainly atheist countries out there with very well developed moral frameworks. While it is true that common law developed from religious law, I don't believe religion is now required for a social moral framework to exist and prosper.

So what does religion do? Yes a lot of charities are christian in origin, but then Africa might be much less AIDSy if Rome promoted condom use. Religions are centres of communities, but they're also the first to oppose gay marriage/adoption.

I voted that the world would be a better place without religion, not because the idea is bad, but that religion as it stands has overstepped it mark. I don't think religion has any part in a discussion on gay marriage, stem cells or abortion. I can't argue against something that must be accepted on faith.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 27, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.