The Student Room Group

Can only manage 20 pushups

I have been practicing push ups for a year now and I can only manage to do one set of 20, the next 15, and the rest 10+. Is that normal? I've heard there are people that can do way more in each set. How come I can't do more than 20? It's not like the regime (along with the rest of my strength building) isn't working cause it is visibly noticeable. However, I don't seem to be able to improve any further :s-smilie:

What is it I am doing wrong? :s-smilie:

Thank's guys :smile:

PS As you can probably tell I don't go to the gym (Can't afford it) so I work out at home. My regime for strength gain has been for the last year 50 push ups, 50 situps, 3 crunches and 4 side crunches. Everywhere has seen notable improvement except for my chest. Can anyone give some good chest exercise examples? Cause it looks just a little too week in comparison to the rest of me :L
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

20 is good. if I did 20 push ups right now i'd be ****ed for days.
Reply 2
I can barely manage 3 mate.
Reply 3
After practicing for a year I would expect you to be able to do more. Do you do till failure every day?
I do press ups when I get bored, if im at home and im watching tv every time there is an advert break I will do press ups till the programme starts again...
Reply 4
i can do more then 20 one handed..... :biggrin:
Reply 5
i found the best way is to push yourself to do one extra every day, then second set, dont count, just keep going until your arms wont do any more :P

I don't know what the `experts` say, but i've found that that method has helped me progress when i stick to it :P
Reply 6
The only problem i think is your food. When i was younger i could get to 40 and couldn't pass any further. I know i bet you have heard it hundred times but you need substantial amount of protein to maintain your muscle gain. It's not just for body builders. Please subscribe to this old body builder on youtube he has been a bodybuilder for a long time and he never had an injury.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAzklE8Ffwc&feature=plcp
I hope that helps.
Reply 7
Also about training itself. You should do as much as you can then rest couple minutes and repeat. For the third set try doing pushups of your knees because you will struggle to do one and couple sets of doing full pushup. Good luck
Reply 8
20 is good. That's my target right now, i can only manage 13 now before i start doing sloppy half arsed push ups.

If you can see visible results, stick with it :smile:
Original post by aladcalledtommy
I have been practicing push ups for a year now and I can only manage to do one set of 20, the next 15, and the rest 10+. Is that normal? I've heard there are people that can do way more in each set. How come I can't do more than 20? It's not like the regime (along with the rest of my strength building) isn't working cause it is visibly noticeable. However, I don't seem to be able to improve any further :s-smilie:

after being able to do 15 or more push ups you should have started to add weight to you to force your muscles to work more.

Imagine if you could bench 60kg for 5 reps, you worked your way up to 20 reps then didn't progress? What would you suggest for the person to be able to do more? You'd increase the weight you've been doing it at.
Reply 10
Original post by Trottoir
I can barely manage 3 mate.

I admire your honesty.

I myself can do no less than the OP lol :ninja: But when I was 18, I could do almost 50 pushups; don't know what happened to my body :/
Reply 11
Have a look at this blokes youtube channel. I have developed more strength via calisthetics compared to weights :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/user/OmegaBlazeHD?feature=watch

Look at the main video where he desribes the pyramid system for doing them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
i can do about ~75...

but that has been work in progress for the last 10 years. you will not significantly increase the number you do without literally years of practice. you are not doing anything wrong as muscle takes time to build
Fair play! Didn't expect so many answers so quick.. looks like good and bad news to me. deffs taking some notes on how to improve from most of you. Thank's guys! :biggrin:

My main problem is my biceps look good, and I have had a decent amount of comments about it :biggrin: but "good" isn't quite enough for me.
Reply 14
Original post by amg_22
i can do about ~75...

but that has been work in progress for the last 10 years. you will not significantly increase the number you do without literally years of practice. you are not doing anything wrong as muscle takes time to build

When i started working out i could do 5 push ups now i can still only do 35 in one go. But my bench has increased from like 20kg to 90kg. weird aint it
Original post by aladcalledtommy

PS As you can probably tell I don't go to the gym (Can't afford it) so I work out at home. My regime for strength gain has been for the last year 50 push ups, 50 situps, 3 crunches and 4 side crunches. Everywhere has seen notable improvement except for my chest. Can anyone give some good chest exercise examples? Cause it looks just a little too week in comparison to the rest of me :L

You haven't changed your routine. If you don't make it more difficult by adding weight or increasing repetitions then you won't improve. Increasing the resistance is almost always the preferable option.
I'm pretty lightweight and not very strong but I can do 62 or so when I go 'til failure. :dontknow:
I'm going to put myself to the test now, how many can I do until failure :biggrin:
40 "Proper" pushups before doing that stupid as I like to call "stretching cat pose/failure" which ain't bad :smile: OP, like someone said earlier you've got to make them harder to do.

One thing I like to do for Chin-ups is to attach a giant chain, as you go up, more of the chain dangles pff the ground and so therefore more weight to pull! Absolutely kills you though!
Push yourself more. You will be able to do more than 20 if you have been doing it that long, you just need the will to push through the pain.

As for everyone saying 20 is fine......this just shows how apathetic people are becoming towards fitness.

Quick Reply

Latest