Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B481 - Core Subjects Bill 2012

Announcements Posted on
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    When I last went to Paris they quite happily spoke English. I did open with a "parley voo anglay" though.
    "Parley voo anglay"... :nothing: also leave the tourist areas (where they should not be so easy going about speaking a foreign language in my opinion) and tell me who will speak in English if you ask them?
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Are you serious? other than learning about other cultures and being able to meet a multitude of people from around the world with the other languages you know
    You can already do that with English.

there are increased job prospects with better pay and if you learn from an early age
    Depends on what you want to do. Knowing a foreign language isn't important for my career.

it increases intellectual growth, enriches mental development and makes you more flexible mentally.
    This sounds far too vague, and needless to say it certainly hasn't worked for you.

I seriously hope you are having a laugh otherwise I question the the education system in this country even more than I ever had before or is it your social class I should question? :holmes:
    You trying to question other people's "social class" is quite funny given that probably at least half of the house think you're the biggest liar to post on TSR currently.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    You can already do that with English.

Depends on what you want to do. Knowing a foreign language isn't important for my career.

This sounds far too vague, and needless to say it certainly hasn't worked for you.

You trying to question other people's "social class" is quite funny given that probably at least half of the house think you're the biggest liar to post on TSR currently.
    :rofl: please.

Still does not mean it does not help.

Sure :rolleyes:

You can believe what you like, I am not going to be butthurt over some strangers not believing me... what do you want me to do? give a **** about online life? I am sorry I am not you so I won't care.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It seems to be a very rigid curriciulum - I wouldn't usually favour such strictly-defined government regulation, however, it is important to ensure that children are subject to a fairly uniform content in relation to their education. Even more importantly though, this is actually a form of positive deregulation of the current TSR education system - given some of the pointless national curriculum amendments that we've seen pass through House I am satisfied that this would be a definite improvement and offer it my wholehearted support.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    You must have only gone to the main tourist sights then.

"Parley voo anglay"... :nothing: also leave the tourist areas (where they should not be so easy going about speaking a foreign language in my opinion) and tell me who will speak in English if you ask them?
    Well, I didn't go to anyone's house, but I was wandering around the city centre and maybe a mile out. Obviously I didn't go into every shop, but presumably anyone who wanted me to buy something and couldn't stand me butchering their language would then speak English.
    • 77 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

Various reasons.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: please.
    Prove that you can't. Prove my experience wrong.

Still does not mean it does not help.
    For my career it's irrelevant. For a great many people's careers it's irrelevant, and many of the languages that may be relevant one day in the future are not taught in schools anyway. Up here French dominates foreign language classes, which is useless to most of us, with a bit of German thrown in, which again isn't of much use.

Sure :rolleyes:
    Yes, sure.

You can believe what you like, I am not going to be butthurt over some strangers not believing me... what do you want me to do? give a **** about online life? I am sorry I am not you so I won't care.
    Well I think you are pretty butt-hurt judging by your response.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ou et le musée pour la histoire de France?

Is my French here correct? If the spelling is slightly off I'm not too fussed, it's really meant to be as if it's spoken, if you get me.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)

Is my French here correct? If the spelling is slightly off I'm not too fussed, it's really meant to be as if it's spoken, if you get me.
    Not really. You've said "if and the museum for the history of France".
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have disagreed with this Bill. Firstly because I don't support the compulsory teaching of MFLs in primary schools when we have children who can't even master the basics (i.e. reading and writing) of their native tongue. Secondly, there's no definition on what you mean by core with regards to this Bill.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    Not really. You've said "if and the museum for the history of France".
    Ah - what I'm trying to say is "Where is the museum for the history of France?" or similar.

How about "Ou est le musée pour la histoire de France?", is that more correct?
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah - what I'm trying to say is "Where is the museum for the history of France?" or similar.

I'm fairly sure that elision occurs in la histoire to get l'histoire.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:

Going by my French it should be "où" for where - "ou" means 'or', as well as l'histoire instead of le histoire, but other than that it's correct. Bare in mind though that I am a college student rather than a native speaker :P

EDIT: One other thing I just saw, it's "la France" at the end, you have to put the le/la in in French.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? these people must be stupid as they don't realise what advantages knowing a second language can bring.
    On the issue of MFLs, the list is somewhat restrictive, dissallowing things like Mandarin, Hindu-Urdu, Portugese, Japanese and Russian all of which have similar numbers of speakers to the three listed for primary schools is a little odd to me.

Also, it fails to account for the requirements of Welsh schools with regard to Welsh language teaching
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:

No it is not.

Où est musée de l'histoire de France... what you were looking for? (:rofl: my spell checker is saying the entire thing is wrong oh dear... am I drunk? ).
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    On the issue of MFLs, the list is somewhat restrictive, dissallowing things like Mandarin, Hindu-Urdu, Portugese, Japanese and Russian all of which have similar numbers of speakers to the three listed for primary schools is a little odd to me.

Also, it fails to account for the requirements of Welsh schools with regard to Welsh language teaching
    True, true.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    No it is not.

Où est musée de l'histoire de France... what you were looking for?
    So there's no "le" or "la" or anything like that before musée? Thanks
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    My general view on the curriculum is to keep it as far away from politicians as possible, a view I've developed after years of seeing New Labour dilute it with phoney courses only to be followed by Gove's deluded attempts at creating a faux-public school utopia.

(Original post by toronto353)
    I have disagreed with this Bill. Firstly because I don't support the compulsory teaching of MFLs in primary schools when we have children who can't even master the basics (i.e. reading and writing) of their native tongue. Secondly, there's no definition on what you mean by core with regards to this Bill.
    As a classics scholar I would have thought you'd see how learning other languages can assist with attaining the fullest comprehension of another. Teaching Esperanto to children widens their capacity for gaining fluency in English, German, Slavic and Romance languages. The same would apply to teaching Latin and Greek.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    So there's no "le" or "la" or anything like that before musée? Thanks
    Do your own homework.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do your own homework.
    I was just asking for help. It's in no way homework either, considering I'm an electrical engineering student It's just a long running debate with my dad
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    My general view on the curriculum is to keep it as far away from politicians as possible, a view I've developed after years of seeing New Labour dilute it with phoney courses only to be followed by Gove's deluded attempts at creating a faux-public school utopia.

As a classics scholar I would have thought you'd see how learning other languages can assist with attaining the fullest comprehension of another. Teaching Esperanto to children widens their capacity for gaining fluency in English, German, Slavic and Romance languages. The same would apply to teaching Latin and Greek.
    Yes, but I don't prioritise it over teaching children how to read and write. Furthermore, you've also got issues with teaching current primary school teachers to teach MFLs which is a huge problem that this Bill doesn't solve.
Updated: August 8, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.