Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The greatest British sportsperson ever

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Who is the greatest British Sportsperson ever?
    Bradley Wiggins
    17.39%
    Daley Thompson
    4.35%
    Bobby Moore
    6.52%
    Steve Redgrave
    34.78%
    Fred Perry
    0%
    Virginia Wade
    0%
    Ian Botham
    4.35%
    Tanni Grey-Thompson
    2.17%
    George Best
    8.70%
    Stephen Hendry
    2.17%
    Phil Taylor
    8.70%
    Nick Faldo
    0%
    Gareth Edwards
    2.17%
    Henry Cooper
    4.35%
    Stirling Moss
    4.35%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was just discussing this with my mates earlier, and was wondering what everyone else thought. Who is the greatest British sportsperson ever? I've suggested a few below, if anyone has anymore suggestions to add to the poll then please tell me!

Bradley Wiggins The first ever Brit to win the Tour de France. He is also an olympic gold medallist.

Daley Thompson Decathlete who won Gold at Moscow 1980 and Los Angeles 1984, broke the Decathlon world record 4 times.

Bobby Moore Was the captain of the only English football team to ever win the world cup. Pele once said he was the best defender he had every played against.

Steve Redgrave Olympic rower who won Gold medals at five consecutive Olympic games from 1984 to 2000.

Fred Perry Last British Tennis player who won the men's singles at Wimbledon, he won it three times between 1934-1936. Won eight grand slams.

Virginia Wade Tennis player who won three grand slams, and who was the last Brit to win a wimbledon singles title, in 1977.

Ian Botham Cricketer who is considered England's greatest all-rounder, he is still England's leading wicket-taker, with 383.

Tanni Grey-Thompson Competed at the paralympics between 1988 and 2004 in a variety of events, in which she won 16 medals, including 11 gold.

George Best Footballer who won European player of the year in 1968.

Stephen Hendry Snooker player who won a record seven world championships.

Phil Taylor Darts player who was world champion 15 times.

Nick Faldo Golfer who won three open championships and three masters.

Gareth Edwards Rugby Union player who won three Five Nations Grand Slams with Wales, scoring 20 tries in 53 tests.

Henry Cooper Boxer who won the British and European heavyweight titles several times throughout his career, and who once defeated Muhammad Ali.

Stirling Moss Racing Driver who is often called 'the greatest driver to never win the world championship.'
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Make a poll.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're all great in their own right. It's too hard to choose
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NapoleonDynamite)
    Make a poll.
    It's done.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ryan Giggs?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecookiemonster)
    I was just discussing this with my mates earlier, and was wondering what everyone else thought. Who is the greatest British sportsperson ever? I've suggested a few below, if anyone has anymore suggestions to add to the poll then please tell me!

Bradley Wiggins The first ever Brit to win the Tour de France. He is also an olympic gold medallist.

Daley Thompson Decathlete who won Gold at Moscow 1980 and Los Angeles 1984, broke the Decathlon world record 4 times.

Bobby Moore Was the captain of the only English football team to ever win the world cup. Pele once said he was the best defender he had every played against.

Steve Redgrave Olympic rower who won Gold medals at five consecutive Olympic games from 1984 to 2000.

Fred Perry Last British Tennis player who won the men's singles at Wimbledon, he won it three times between 1934-1936. Won eight grand slams.

Virginia Wade Tennis player who won three grand slams, and who was the last Brit to win a wimbledon singles title, in 1977.

Ian Botham Cricketer who is considered England's greatest all-rounder, he is still England's leading wicket-taker, with 383.

Tanni Grey-Thompson Competed at the paralympics between 1988 and 2004 in a variety of events, in which she won 16 medals, including 11 gold.

George Best Footballer who won European player of the year in 1968.

Stephen Hendry Snooker player who won a record seven world championships.

Phil Taylor Darts player who was world champion 15 times.

Nick Faldo Golfer who won three open championships and three masters.

Gareth Edwards Rugby Union player who won three Five Nations Grand Slams with Wales, scoring 20 tries in 53 tests.

Henry Cooper Boxer who won the British and European heavyweight titles several times throughout his career, and who once defeated Muhammad Ali.

Stirling Moss Racing Driver who is often called 'the greatest driver to never win the world championship.'
    George best was Irish

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any debate like this basically means comparing sports, let alone comparing eras. Both are unfair. You can never have a concensus on something like that, too many variables, too subjective.

Might be me just sitting on the fence, but I don't think there's an answer to this debate.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    As much as they're all hugely successful, I chose Redgrave.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insert_username)
    George best was Irish

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Northern Irish.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sebastian Coe?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formerly Helpful_C)
    Northern Irish.
    When Insert_Username's comment was written the Reverend Ian Paisley sat bolt upright with all the hairs on his arms standing up. Trues story.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sir Jackie Stewart
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is a tough one since almost everyone in the poll has had periods of dominance and it's hard to compare a darts player, say, to a track & field athlete.

I might have been tempted to go for Roger Bannister or Linford Christie if they were in the poll
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dagnabbit)
    This is a tough one since almost everyone in the poll has had periods of dominance and it's hard to compare a darts player, say, to a track & field athlete.

I might have been tempted to go for Roger Bannister or Linford Christie if they were in the poll
    Is there any way to edit the poll? I want to add an 'other' option
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecookiemonster)
    Is there any way to edit the poll? I want to add an 'other' option
    I don't think so; given the fact that people have already voted it wouldn't work
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You've left out so many great sportmens and also with all due respect to the late Sir 'Enry, he never even held a world title, his record of 40-14-1 is a bit suspect and he is only remembered because he floored Muhammad Ali (he still lost, contrary to what you wrote), so I don't know why you would include him as a boxing representative over say Joe Calzaghe or Lennox Lewis.
    • 141 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Sir Jackie Stewart
    This.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    You've left out so many great sportmens and also with all due respect to the late Sir 'Enry, he never even held a world title, his record of 40-14-1 is a bit suspect and he is only remembered because he floored Muhammad Ali (he still lost, contrary to what you wrote), so I don't know why you would include him as a boxing representative over say Joe Calzaghe or Lennox Lewis.
    Hmm, you're probably right about that one. I added him in as a late one cos i felt the poll was lacking a boxer, I should have really looked into it more though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think Mike Hailwood deserves a mention. 76 motorcycling GP wins, 9 world championships and 14 TT victories. Also had podium places when he switched to formula 1 cars.
    Sadly killed aged 40 while fetching fish n chips with his sons. Lorry driver did illegal u turn. Also killed one of Mike`s sons. Lorry driver fined a whole £100.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 3, 2012
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.