The Student Room Group

Should James Holmes (Batman killing) get the death penalty?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AverageExcellence
You can still be moved emotionally even if your completely disconnected from a situation. Especially when completely innocent children are gunned down for no apparent reason. The same can be said about 9/11. It can still be a tragedy for your fellow man.
I feel sadness over incidents like these and that rarely turns to pleasure when I find out the perpetrators are suffering. That said, simply being incarcerated isn't a severe enough punishment that I would condemn anyone for being pleased someone else is going through it if they are such truly disgusting criminals. It's just not something I think we should be proud of.
I just get uncomfortable when people declare how happy they are that things like this are happening. I think it's completely f***ed up to take pleasure from something that horrific, regardless of who it is happening to.

In which case if they can't be executed or allowed to suffer in jail then there isn't much other option than release (unless you make jail a nice place - which is shouldn't be)
Stopping prisoners from being beaten up and bullied by other prisoners isn't making jail a nice place. I assumed when you said you were pleased at the suffering you were referring to things like that happening.

I think innocent people should have the choice, but not criminals. The freedom to take their life should be removed along with their liberty. They're in prison to be punished, they shouldn't be allowed to avoid it.
They're in prison to be kept away from the public, so that there will be no more harm done either by them or to them. I simply don't think it's right or civilised to trap someone in a living hell, regardless of whether or not they are a criminal. If people insist on taking pleasure from the suffering of prisoners, then they can feel free to get their pleasure from the fact these prisoners are utterly broken and wanting to end their own lives. To then go on and stop them from reaching that end is just taking the cruelty to another level - fortunately that's not the real reason these people are being kept alive.
Original post by Raheem786
For some conspiracy type reason, I think they're just doing that to torture him. How often is it someone is killed in prison? If he is, wouldn't that mean the Prison isn't up to standard?

From what I've heard/read/seen i thought it was quite common for people who have killed children to be attacked in prison.
Original post by Stevo F
Then they need to change the system, anybody with half a brain knows that if you have a confession, video and witnesses of the crime it should be cheaper to perform the death penalty.

Another example of a country in massive debt (like most of the world) wasting money in unnecessary areas.

Yes, costs could be reduced, but there is a reason the process is so lengthy and costly.

Even if there a confession, video and witnesses, often the question of whether the death penalty should be applied concerns the mental state of the defendant and points of law.

There's also a question of when the death penalty should be applied. Often it is dependent on the defendant's race and class and that of his/her victim.

The reason the death penalty cost so much to implement is because of its gravity. As a society, we have decided to punish those who kill. Some US states have decided that the State is exempt from laws against killing. Any decision to break this fundamental belief that killing is wrong has to be heavily considered. While the process isn't perfect in that it is costly and lengthy, with long mental anguish for all involved, it is also isn't perfect in that people who are later found innocent, who were found guilty of crimes despite reasonable doubt and who might not have had the mental capacity (either through mental disability or mental illness) to be wholly guilty of the offence they are charged with are still often-times executed if they satisfy the arbitrary stereotype as people who should be punished.
so people on here think that prison isn't about punishment it's about helping the criminals jesus wept that is a kick in the teeth to the innocent victims and their families some people lose their right to live in society.

Public Saftey > Punishment > Rehabilitation

Prison should only be an option for dangerous/violent people i.e Murderers, Paedohpiles who act on their urges, Rapists, Serious Assualy, Attempted Murder, Treason etc... not violent crimes and mildly violent crimes should instead lead to either Military Style Boot Camps, Labour Camps, Community Service or Fines.

The death penalty should be reserved for the worst of the worst i.e Serial Killer, Terrorists, Extreme Torture and the batman killer fits the bill. But I repeat that they should only be executed if it is proven 100% that they commited the crime there shouldn't be executions if there is any doubt what so ever.

The reason the U.S has such a high re offending rate is because US prisons are infested with gangs if you go into a prison you are divided into Colour if your white you have to join a Neo Nazi gang get nazi tattos stab people they tell you too if you try to leave they will kill you. Same goes for Blacks with their gangs if you don't join a gang then you will most likley be bullied, beaten and stolen from that's the reason the re offending rate is so high in the U.S because the prisoners go into a more extreme/violent atmosphere than when they were free. So prisoners should be held in extremley small single cells with one uncomftorble bed no windows, no tv only a radio and some books with 1 hour of exersise a day no talking to other prisoners should be allowed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Redolent

I just get uncomfortable when things like this are happening. I think it's completely f***ed up to take pleasure from something that horrific, regardless of who it is happening to.

I wouldn't be pleased or happy that something like that happened, but i wouldn't be upset by it either. I didn't mean suffering as in being physically tortured or brutally killed by other inmates, just the whole restrictions of prison.

To be fair though quite a lot of people were pleased (especially in america) when Bin Laden was killed. Whether that was because they though that would be the end of al quaeda or just for the retribution i dont know.

Stopping prisoners from being beaten up and bullied by other prisoners isn't making jail a nice place. I assumed when you said you were pleased at the suffering you were referring to things like that happening.

I meant like offering them homely luxuries like TVs and pets and games consoles, even luxury food budgets for some days of the week like steaks, Its a prison not a holiday camp. Im sure a homeless man would snap your arm off to be in prison with this.

They're in prison to be kept away from the public, so that there will be no more harm done either by them or to them. I simply don't think it's right or civilised to trap someone in a living hell, regardless of whether or not they are a criminal. If people insist on taking pleasure from the suffering of prisoners, then they can feel free to get their pleasure from the fact these prisoners are utterly broken and wanting to end their own lives. To then go on and stop them from reaching that end is just taking the cruelty to another level - fortunately that's not the real reason these people are being kept alive.

There is a difference between hell and suffering. Suffering doesn't have to be physical torture, but the daily pressure of regular prison is suffering in itself. Which is justly deserved. Like you say, i agree with you that straight forward torturing and brutal killing isn't right.
Original post by AverageExcellence
I meant like offering them homely luxuries like TVs and pets and games consoles, even luxury food budgets for some days of the week like steaks, Its a prison not a holiday camp. Im sure a homeless man would snap your arm off to be in prison with this.
Yeah that's not right, but the reality of these situations are always massively blown out of proportion by the media. That said, the fact homeless people will commit crimes deliberately in order to get sent to jail is a definite sign that our priorities aren't straight, I don't like that either.

There is a difference between hell and suffering. Suffering doesn't have to be physical torture, but the daily pressure of regular prison is suffering in itself. Which is justly deserved. Like you say, i agree with you that straight forward torturing and brutal killing isn't right.
Yeah, I'm just referring to the fact that if a prisoner really wants to die, who knows what kinds of horrible things are going on emotionally in their mind. I think it's wrong to leave anyone in that condition just to satisfy a need for retribution.
Reply 146
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
No.

the point of sentencing somebody to prison/community service/etc is rehabilitation. sentencing somebody to death is you saying that they'll never ever be able to contribute positively to society

so getting life in prison is rehabilitating ?
Reply 147
Original post by Marlo Stanfield
I think the fact that he has done something so heinous negates the idea that, if it was possible to reform him, he should be freed on the principle that he would now be able to contribute to society.

other killers get the death penalty or life in prison what so special about him
Original post by Miracle Day
I don't support the death penalty

I think he should be killed

wut?

Make up your mind pls
Original post by sucess
History shows it can be for some people
No.

UN Declaration of Human Rights
Article 3.

Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.
Original post by sucess
other killers get the death penalty or life in prison what so special about him

what does your post have to do with mine?
Also, killing him would be giving him the easy way out. I'm sure many criminals on life sentences would want to be killed too, rather than rot in jail for the rest of their lives.
Loving all the big talk on here about torture and execution.

None of you would actually torture and kill would you? Hypocrites.
Original post by Bulbasaur
No.

Prisons deny one's right to liberty. Do you object to them?
Neither. He should be tortured.
Original post by sucess

no, improving prisons so they actually rehabilitate the vast majority of prisoners would then make a long term sentence rehabilitating.

currently a long term prison sentence institutionalises prisoners making them more likely to get involved in gangs and violence, prolonging their stay and increasing the chance of re-offending. both costing tax-payers more money
Original post by Marlo Stanfield
Prisons deny one's right to liberty. Do you object to them?

To the extent where their sole purpose is to remove said person's liberty rather than to protect the rest of society ('s liberty), yes.
That doesn't justify the execution of a murderer.
What do you think as this question has sparked some debate.

I think yes he most certainly should.

The man is a monster.. he shot a baby and killed a 6 year old and continued to shoot people as they begged for him to stop.. He is evil.

Am interested to hear the arguments for both sides.

Please make sure before you debate on here you are familiar with the case, I don't support the death penalty but after reading reports on this from witnesses about what he did I think he should be killed.

I can't think of anybody more deserving of the death penalty. Kill the bastard.
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
No.

the point of sentencing somebody to prison/community service/etc is rehabilitation. sentencing somebody to death is you saying that they'll never ever be able to contribute positively to society

The man deserves to be killed. Anyway, the guy is a psychopath, you can't simply 'fix' him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending