Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

What level does this teaching course prepare you to teach at e.g. GCSE, A-Level..?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am considering doing a teaching course in my year out of study before going to university and I have found City and Guilds ''Award in Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector'' which is a Level 4 qualification. Here it is:

http://www.cityandguilds.com/69108.html
    http://www.derby-college.ac.uk/index...ord=&ItemId=53

It does not say what kind of level this prepares to teach at and I have no idea what the 'lifelong learning sector' is. If I were to do this course then would I be qualified to teach A-Level Maths after graduating from university (doing Maths)?

Any recommendations on 1 year teaching courses that would be necessary to teach at Level 3/4 would be nice (that only requires GCSEs and A-Levels)

Thank you for your time.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're doing maths at uni, but I think you'd still have to do a pgce as well, so I'm not sure what the point of this is unless its for teaching assistants or more like an access course.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The PTLLS is the first stage for those planning to teach in the Lifelong Learning sector (post 16). It is a 10 week course which gives you some insight into teaching adults before commencing a full Diploma (DTLLS) which is a 2 year p/t course equivalent to a CertEd or PGCE.
    You would be able to work in an FE or 6th Form College and teach A level Maths but you would be paid as unqualified until you complete DTLLS.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have PTLLS qualifications and would like to do dtlls but how do I go about getting teaching experience, I graduated 2010 in Applied Information Technology, would I have to do a top up in the subject before embarking on dtlls,

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 19, 2014
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.