The Student Room Group

Spending and rent help!

I need opinions! The room at the flat (bristol) that I want to rent is £310pm not including bills, the estate agent guy told me that sharing with 4 other people the bills would come to around £40 each. My maintenance loan and grant add up to around £7000. I do have a 4hr a week job so get about £25 a week from that maybe more depending on overtime.. could i afford food and alcohol with this? i wouldn't be using transport as the campus isn't too far from the flat. I was thinking like £20pw on food or am i being totally naive and it costs more? what does everyone spend there monthly budget on?
Reply 1
I managed food in about a tenner a week, but I don't drink, so I guess about £20 would be about right depending on the amount of alcohol and food you get. At a rough guess, without sitting and calculating everything out for you, you should be okay. Just don't go too wild.
Reply 2
Sounds more than fine.

It'll be just under £2,000 for rent (£310 x 6 months of Uni) (not inc. bills) so you'll have £5,000 for bills, food, and alcohol for the year, which is probably more than most, plus you'll have your £25+ from your job, which you could probably dedicate to your food shopping and leave the other money on bills and booze.
Reply 3
Original post by M'Ling
Sounds more than fine.

It'll be just under £2,000 for rent (£310 x 6 months of Uni) (not inc. bills) so you'll have £5,000 for bills, food, and alcohol for the year, which is probably more than most, plus you'll have your £25+ from your job, which you could probably dedicate to your food shopping and leave the other money on bills and booze.

Yeah I think I'm just worrying too much about the fact that the loans and grants come termly so I'd get about £2400 a term and then I'd have to budget that out per month but like you said it should be fine.. im such a stresser!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending