The Student Room Group

Greek athlete expelled for racist tweet

Scroll to see replies

I literally just read that story a few minutes ago. It was a stupid and unnecessary tweet to make in my opinion.Twitter seems to be the downfall of a lot of people thought :holmes:
Reply 2
I don't get the joke, is Greece facing an influx of mosquitos from around the Nile? I doubt I'd find it funny, but I don't even see how it makes sense?
Reply 3
Original post by Hopple
I don't get the joke, is Greece facing an influx of mosquitos from around the Nile? I doubt I'd find it funny, but I don't even see how it makes sense?

Do you know what west nile mosquitoes are?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Nile_virus

It does make sense, it's just dark humor.
Reply 4
You have to wonder what's going through these athletes heads when they post this kind of stuff. Yes, it might be a joke to you, but the social media is one of the worst places to make a dodgy joke especially if you're a somewhat relevant person. People take everything offensive nowadays. I don't think there was any malice intended in the tweet, but man, what a stupid way to kill your Olympic dream and maybe even your athletic career.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by .eXe
Do you know what west nile mosquitoes are?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Nile_virus

It does make sense, it's just dark humor.

I'd heard of the disease, but I'd assumed the mosquitos were also from the Nile region. It still needs said mosquitos to be present in Greece though?
My first thought was, "is that it?" The amount of outrage is disproportionate, in my opinion (I'm not saying people shouldn't be outraged, but that I was expecting the tweet to be much worse than it is).
I'm not sure who comes off looking worse from this, the athlete or the team who have massively overreacted to this.
"with so many Africans in Greece, at least the West Nile mosquitos will be eating food from their own home."

How is that racist? I know its a bit rude and bigotted. Obviously offensive.. but not racist.

It does seem really blown out of proportion.
Reply 9
Original post by justanotherposter
I'm not sure who comes off looking worse from this, the athlete or the team who have massively overreacted to this.

I don't think it's that massive a reaction. In the real world, there are no second chances. Mistakes carry heavy penalties. The Olympics committee must respond swiftly in these types of things because there is literally no excuse for saying this kinda stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I can certainly see it as a joke working in another place...maybe by Jimmy Carr or something...but as an Olympian representing your country, no way.

This is the type of stuff that can result in strained international relations, public backlash, etc if consequences are not given. That athlete should be thankful she didn't get a lifetime ban or something insane like that.
Have people not already learned that they ought to be careful about what they put up on Facebook or Twitter?
There's always that one person who has to mess everything up.
Original post by AverageExcellence
"with so many Africans in Greece, at least the West Nile mosquitos will be eating food from their own home."

How is that racist? I know its a bit rude and bigotted. Obviously offensive.. but not racist.

It does seem really blown out of proportion.

The comment is aimed at a particular race and it's quite offensive to that particular race (I am not going to say why, it's pretty obvious.)
Reply 12
Original post by Derrick1509
Twitter seems to be the downfall of a lot of people thought :holmes:

Exactly :confused:
Original post by Politricks
Have people not already learned that they ought to be careful about what they put up on Facebook or Twitter?
There's always that one person who has to mess everything up.

This.

Though let them carry on I say, exposes their true colours.
Original post by .eXe
This is the type of stuff that can result in strained international relations, public backlash, etc if consequences are not given. That athlete should be thankful she didn't get a lifetime ban or something insane like that.

Are you kidding me? She's an athlete, not an ambassador or politician. The only people she's going to offend are those who profit off being offended or, perhaps more accurately, make a profit off writing about offended people (leftist publications and so on). It's a manufactured controversy. What kind of world do we live in that people can get banned from international athletic competitions for writing online about a political party that we belong to or making a joke about some people in your country?

What if she wrote a joke about sunburned British tourists on Greek islands? "D'ohoho it's the first time in my life I've ever seen a Englishman that's not burned" or something to that effect? I'll tell you what would happen: nothing.
Reply 15
Original post by I Kant Spall
Are you kidding me? She's an athlete, not an ambassador or politician. The only people she's going to offend are those who profit off being offended or, perhaps more accurately, make a profit off writing about offended people (leftist publications and so on). It's a manufactured controversy. What kind of world do we live in that people can get banned from international athletic competitions for writing online about a political party that we belong to or making a joke about some people in your country?

What if she wrote a joke about sunburned British tourists on Greek islands? "D'ohoho it's the first time in my life I've ever seen a Englishman that's not burned" or something to that effect? I'll tell you what would happen: nothing.

Yeah because sunburns are comparable to starving, homeless africans right?
Reply 16
Original post by sugar-n-spice
but da niles in egypt not greece

Are you intentionally trying to appear illiterate?

Yes the Nile is in Africa but the West Nile mosquito does have wings and can fly you know...

There was a West Nile outbreak in Greece in 2010: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/17/10/11-0525_article.htm
Original post by .eXe
Yeah because sunburns are comparable to starving, homeless africans right?

She didn't write about starving, homeless Africans. This is just the mental image that you get from your own racial preconceptions. Suddenly all Africans in Greece must be starving and homeless, right? Sunburned Brits made for a fine analogy.
Original post by pinda.college
The comment is aimed at a particular race and it's quite offensive to that particular race (I am not going to say why, it's pretty obvious.)

African isnt a race of people, no more than asian, european or american (could be latin or north).
Original post by .eXe
I don't think it's that massive a reaction. In the real world, there are no second chances. Mistakes carry heavy penalties. The Olympics committee must respond swiftly in these types of things because there is literally no excuse for saying this kinda stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I can certainly see it as a joke working in another place...maybe by Jimmy Carr or something...but as an Olympian representing your country, no way.

I'm sorry but if a nation's leader takes one very stupid comment as an attack on his country he probably shouldn't be in charge. People say stupid things all the time, if you can honestly say you have never said anything politically incorrect without thinking then I'm amazed. She probably didn't even make up the joke, she probably saw it somewhere and repeated it without thinking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending