Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Science vs Art - why do people argue about this?!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go watch one of Richard Feynman's interviews; he describes the differences between the artist and the scientist quite nicely
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Go watch one of Richard Feynman's interviews; he describes the differences between the artist and the scientist quite nicely
    Link? Or something, please?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    "To see a world in a grain of sand,
    And a heaven in a wild flower,
    Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
    And eternity in an hour."

Edit: The individual who negged me is truly oblivious to what the message is in the extract. The artistic beauty of nature is after all scientific and both are amalgamated to disclose a sheerly transcendental beauty.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OkashiAddict)
    Link? Or something, please?

I love this guy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'm a science person. Sure, I like to look at art/music/a good book etc but science will always be more important to me.

But I'm not going to say no to arts, because without arts courses at uni, we wouldn't be able to afford science courses. they pay for us.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I believe science is simply a form of art.

Another outpouring of our imagination.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)

I love this guy.
    This is amazing! Thank you so much <3
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just do Maths - it's both
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    An odd comparison.

Science lends to man's curiosity. Art to our ability to abstract.

Both are highly valuable things, one isn't better than the other.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I was listening to the last episode of Brian Cox's radio show on BBC Radio 4, before it starts again in November. It's called 'The Infinite Monkey Cage.' The topic for this episode was 'Science vs Art'. Here's a link to that very episode, if you're interested: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b01l04l1
    Anyway, it was very interesting and all, and I really love these kinds of conversations but in all honesty, why are we even discussing this? Why do we have to choose? One of my friends likes both science and art but she says she's more inclined towards art and that people generally tend to be more inclined to one. She says that an artist cannot be deeply connected to science although they may like it. I don't agree with this. It just doesn't make sense to me. It's not as if they repel each other, like religion and science for example. They are in the end different, and so why would you have to choose?
    Personally, I adore both, but my dream is to be a physicist. Although, I would not in the slightest mind if I were to become a writer or a composer! For me, I will study more scientific subjects in the future but art will always be intertwined with my soul. I'm not more inclined to the other because I don't see why I'd have to be—they're different. Fundamentally though, the same awe and adoration is there for both. That ingenuity and innovation is there for both, though in different forms, of course.
    There's a doctor of Physics at my school but he teaches Literature and he literally loves it. I don't feel he's inclined or *belongs* to one of them.

So what's the point in arguing about this. In the end, we need both. It's not the case of theists vs atheists. There is no right or wrong answer. You don't live your life with either a scientific mindset or artistic. Because what the hell! I seriously don't. I'm scientific and artistic, but my career will be in the sciences I presume. Yet, I will never, lose that passion for art or that vast appreciation towards artistic value. It sounds crazy!
    That's just me though. I'm really open-minded. So I suppose some people can't live a life with both of these things. Some aren't even interested in either (LOL)

Anyway, my main purpose of this relates back to the title.

Thanks!

EDIT: IRONIC THAT I'M POSTING THIS IN THE PHILOSOPHY FORUM XD I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY!
    People claiming they are incompatible have a grudge on one of them, perhaps because they were never any good at it. I think the problem largely stems from people not understanding art. There's still a culture of 'The Art Student' being some croissant-eating scarf-wearing floppy leftie person with a black and white stripy turtleneck and a beret. (Not that that's a bad image) But people think of it as just painting a pretty picture. Going through to studying Art at AS level next year I can say it's just so much tougher. Not only does it require creativity but independence (other subjects spoonfeed you majorly) and more importantly, similar analytical skills to the sciences. You have to look at your piece, form an opinion on it, then find out why that opinion was formed, and what part of the painting caused it. From there you can improve on that piece. It's hard to explain if you think they are incompatible, just because Art is not really one of the subjects that everyone does.

Hooray for art! (I'm doing Physics as well next year so it's all ok :P)

Dan
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Id and Ego seek)

Computer Scientists, Linguists, Biologists, Architects, Theoretical Physicists, etc. must be pretty smug during these discussions :teehee:
    >
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Great science often requires great creativity. The scientists we remember for centuries also tend to have known artistic preference.
    Great art often requires great analytical ability. It is extremely difficult to claim art is a 100% creative subject, because if you ask anyone who studies it pretty much all of them will agree that it is analytical as well. The best artists analyse their work and improve upon it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    That's how philosophy was born...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ekudamram)
    Does no-one else see the beauty or art in a mathematical proof?
    Actually, a lot of people don't consider mathematics to be a science.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had an identity crisis this morning. I had a sudden feeling that I shouldn't be doing Pharmacy and should just go and do English. Half an hour later I was going to run away to the West End (I really wish I was kidding about this) and then I was going to live in Germany. No idea what I'd do there. Then I remembered that I love science and wanted to go and force all sorts of chemicals on people (Yay pharmacists). But I agree, why on earth does there have to be a choice? Look at Leonardo Da Vinci. He did pretty bloody much everything, science and art. It's not all black and white, it's perfectly possible to be equally in touch with both things. I like everything. I can't play an instrument (not dedicated enough) and I can't draw. Stickmen are my limit. But you know, drama and writing are forms of art, and I love them just as much as pharmacy. It just turns out that you can't do joint degrees in pharmacy and acting. Heaven only knows why.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    personally I'm just fed up of people thinking that those who do Sciences are more intelligent than anyone else. I'm good at science, I just don't enjoy it. the same with maths. So why am I sub-par because I choose to study Philosophy, or History, or Languages?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lumos)
    personally I'm just fed up of people thinking that those who do Sciences are more intelligent than anyone else. I'm good at science, I just don't enjoy it. the same with maths. So why am I sub-par because I choose to study Philosophy, or History, or Languages?
    This
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I was listening to the last episode of Brian Cox's radio show on BBC Radio 4, before it starts again in November. It's called 'The Infinite Monkey Cage.' The topic for this episode was 'Science vs Art'. Here's a link to that very episode, if you're interested: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b01l04l1
    Anyway, it was very interesting and all, and I really love these kinds of conversations but in all honesty, why are we even discussing this? Why do we have to choose? One of my friends likes both science and art but she says she's more inclined towards art and that people generally tend to be more inclined to one. She says that an artist cannot be deeply connected to science although they may like it. I don't agree with this. It just doesn't make sense to me. It's not as if they repel each other, like religion and science for example. They are in the end different, and so why would you have to choose?
    Personally, I adore both, but my dream is to be a physicist. Although, I would not in the slightest mind if I were to become a writer or a composer! For me, I will study more scientific subjects in the future but art will always be intertwined with my soul. I'm not more inclined to the other because I don't see why I'd have to be—they're different. Fundamentally though, the same awe and adoration is there for both. That ingenuity and innovation is there for both, though in different forms, of course.
    There's a doctor of Physics at my school but he teaches Literature and he literally loves it. I don't feel he's inclined or *belongs* to one of them.

So what's the point in arguing about this. In the end, we need both. It's not the case of theists vs atheists. There is no right or wrong answer. You don't live your life with either a scientific mindset or artistic. Because what the hell! I seriously don't. I'm scientific and artistic, but my career will be in the sciences I presume. Yet, I will never, lose that passion for art or that vast appreciation towards artistic value. It sounds crazy!
    That's just me though. I'm really open-minded. So I suppose some people can't live a life with both of these things. Some aren't even interested in either (LOL)

Anyway, my main purpose of this relates back to the title.

Thanks!

EDIT: IRONIC THAT I'M POSTING THIS IN THE PHILOSOPHY FORUM XD I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY!
    I am a christian, a poet, and a physicist. I am a sunday school teacher, I have four publishers interested in my poems, and I've recently published my first scientifical article in PRD.

Many of the greatest portuguese writers in the XX century had scientific backgrounds (Torga was a doctor, Gedeão was a physicist - even had some contact with Einstein -, etc). One of Pessoa's heteronyms, Álvaro de Campos ("engineer" of English education), even has a poem all about Newton's binomial, which I often find in portuguese discussions of this sort and tried to roughly translate:

Newton's Binomial is as beautiful as the Venus de Milo.
    It's only that there are few people to notice that.

óóóó — óóóóóóóóó — óóóóóóóóóóóóóóó

(The wind outside).
    And let's not forget Einstein played the violin and Oppenheimer was into poetry.

EDIT: And how did I forget Escher???
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    I think things like this occur when people feel as if they can only do one thing. Take me for example, I do english lit and I am obviously inclined to the art side of things. But I personally don´t think I am good at maths; I never have been. That put me off anything logical for years - even now I envy those on the science side who can grasp those concepts yet appreciate art, as though they can do what I can do but I can´t do what they do. When that happens people feel insecure and tend to take a side because it makes them feel special.

I´m guilty of that - but that doesn´t mean that I hate science. In fact I find science fascinating yet I know that I can´t do maths which has always made me feel less intelligent compared to other people. One of my best friends does chemistry though and he and I discuss a lot of different theories etc. and of course I have to use logic in constructing essays/arguments or simply organising myself. So I guess its not really that I´m on any one side, I just feel sometimes that I´m stupid compared to those who do sciences. I know that isn´t true at all, because doing a science subject doesn´t guarentee you are any more intelligent than the next person, likewise with someone who does an art/humanity. But its just something in my mind which I can´t help but think at times.
    Well, psychologists often distinguish different types of intelligence and mathematical intelligence is just one of them. There are many geniuses (including one in Physics and Chemistry - Michael Faraday -, but that's probably for different reasons) who are poor at maths. It doesn't mean you wouldn't enjoy some "frontier territory"... Do you like chess, for example?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 764dak)
    Actually, a lot of people don't consider mathematics to be a science.
    It is an exact science, as opposed to natural sciences and social sciences...

Those people just define science = natural science, which I consider to be a bit of a historical and philosophical betrayal to mathematics.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 29, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.