Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pets at Uni - has anyone managed?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone has managed to keep pets at uni in halls, i've never lived a day of my life without a pet so it'll be a weird change for me, was just wondering if anyone had managed to have a pet in uni accomodation
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd really like to know this too!! I love animals and pets, I'm not sure how I'd survive a few years without them!xx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha well we'll have to hope someone replies then!! x
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    My brother got away with a goldfish........
    Which, during freshers and the week afterward, he was too hammered to feed and change the water, do it died
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most dorms don't allow pets. But you might be able to smuggle in a small rodent or fish. I wonder how you'd be able to smuggle in a tank or a cage though... :confused:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    No chance if you stay in halls with anything bigger than a hamster.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So possibly a mouse or a hamster? In a small cage (not cruelly small, but my last mice had a HUGE cage) :P Also, when they do 'checks' or 'inspections', are they allowed to go in your wardrobe? My friend kept lemmings in her wardrobe in a cage
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaW123)
    So possibly a mouse or a hamster? In a small cage (not cruelly small, but my last mice had a HUGE cage) :P Also, when they do 'checks' or 'inspections', are they allowed to go in your wardrobe? My friend kept lemmings in her wardrobe in a cage
    Yes, they can go anywhere.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In my halls last year I kept 3 snakes (Royal Python, Mexican Black Kingsnake and a baby Boa Constrictor) and a Crested Gecko.

Each were kept in appropriately sized black plastic tubs with internal lighting - at first I kept them hidden from view but half way through the year when it was clear there wasn't going to be any inspections or anything I started becoming a bit more relaxed with it, but it depends on the uni.

Depending on the species of snake then can be kept in Really Useful Boxes and easily hidden so snakes and geckos are a good choice!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow that's really cool! Thanks for the reply, a gecko might be just the ticket then!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    what about a tortoise?

who would neg that^ , I actually have a tortoise!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who kept a pet rat in their wardrobe at their halls the whole time they were there and they obviously never got found out you'd have to be careful who you told, if anyone, because someone may 'rat' you out (see what I did there? )

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i dont know what theyd do if you got caught with a pet though :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unis aren't usually allowed to look in wardrobes and drawers (hid my non-PAT tested electronics in there) but it might be a bit mean to keep a pet in the dark.

I know someone who had a hamster, she kept it in her friends car on the days inspections were on but after she got bored of it she left it in there and it wasn't remembered til the next day! She didn't want it back so it was passed onto someone in another flat, poor thing got a better owner.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think one thing to keep in mind is one of the reasons they don't allow people to keep pets in halls is incase other people are allergic.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had a dog ( a beautiful puppy named richie). I was so sad knowing that I have to leave him when I go to uni. But he died this year. He was only 4 years old . I'm so sad but I have to face it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaW123)
    Oh wow that's really cool! Thanks for the reply, a gecko might be just the ticket then!
    Just gonna say that geckos are not the easiest of pets to look after especially if it's going to be in halls. Also they eat live insects so you'd have to keep a supply of mealworms/crickets in your room... You'd have to do tonnes of research on Gecko care beforehand too.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I haven't lived in halls, but thought this may help people contemplating taking pets to uni; my younger sister had to have her dorm done regularly by the cleaners. I think the maximum you were allowed to not have your room cleaned for was 2 weeks. Maybe not all uni's clean the dorms but if yours does I can't see how you can possibly keep a pet quiet/ out the room with regular cleaners coming in.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    @ Richee - Really sorry to hear that, my house rabbit of 8 years died this year and i still havent accepted it!
    I think you get a warning and are told to get rid of it if you're caught with a pet, the uni i'm going to dont have cleaners for our rooms just inspections every now and again to check we havent trashed the place a tortoise would be cute!!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EckoGecko)
    Just gonna say that geckos are not the easiest of pets to look after especially if it's going to be in halls. Also they eat live insects so you'd have to keep a supply of mealworms/crickets in your room... You'd have to do tonnes of research on Gecko care beforehand too.
    Crested Geckos only eat a powdered fruit diet (a bag costs £10 and last over a year). Also, they can be kept in appropriately sized tubs and require no heating or insects, so are super cheap to keep.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 6, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered animals and pets threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.