The Student Room Group

How many GCSEs did you do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I was lied to and told I was doing 14. But I ended up doing 6 because they changed one course I was doing (art and media) into a diploma which only counted as 1. So 8 subjects I did were combined into one thing.
I did 12 GCSEs.
My brother did 15 GCSEs while producing plays and teaching drama at the same time.
Reply 42
12 if I remember correctly, possibly 11.
Reply 43
I did 11, but the standard amount in my school was 10. It was only because I opted to do an extra gcse in statistics that I ended up with 11.
11 was more than enough. 17 seems a little extreme to me.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
My schools standard amount, varies depending on sets... About 10-13... Plus welsh Bacc which is equivalent to 3/4 GCSEs... :redface:
I did 9 iGCSEs. I got into Imperial, and had an interview (which I messed up :facepalm:) at Cambridge.

Moral of the story? You don't need a ridiculous number of GCSEs. If you do ten, and do them well, that is good enough for anything the future may hold.
Reply 46
I did 10 IGCSEs. I regret not taking English Lit. and/or a modern language though.
Reply 47
Original post by Problematique
Is it even legal to make science a non-compulsory subject?

It had something to do with the overhaul of the Science GCSE in 2006. You can still opt for single science or single science and additional or applied but for some reason they don't make you do either. The worst part in eliminating a compulsory subject is that it automatically puts you one GSCE down as they don't offer an additional alternative. I hear they've made ICT compulsory now which is fair enough but not at the expense of science!
Reply 48
I did three GCSEs (Music, Latin and Classical Greek) and eight IGCSEs (English Lang, English Lit, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French and History). Anxiously waiting for results now! :colondollar:
13 and FSMQ, max out when you can, it really comes in handy when applying for uni, although don't spread yourself too thin that your grades suffer!
8 full GCSEs, 2 short course GCSEs, 2 OCR National double-awards
Reply 51
9, but this was in like 2005. All academic subjects too, damn private school.
Reply 52
Original post by Teatania
It had something to do with the overhaul of the Science GCSE in 2006. You can still opt for single science or single science and additional or applied but for some reason they don't make you do either. The worst part in eliminating a compulsory subject is that it automatically puts you one GSCE down as they don't offer an additional alternative. I hear they've made ICT compulsory now which is fair enough but not at the expense of science!

Lol that's outrageous. Probably due to a shortage of science teachers?
Reply 53
Original post by Don John
Lol that's outrageous. Probably due to a shortage of science teachers?

More than likely, and the ones there aren't exactly the best either. My own teacher would regularly take herself off for smoke breaks and once forgot about my class and went to Tescos instead! I was lucky to scrape a B. :s-smilie:
10 and a BTEC

Didn't feel to bad because 3 were in English (Lit, Lang and Media), 2 were in Science (Core and Additional), 2 were in Maths (Maths and Stats) so that's 7 GCSEs covered in 3 subjects. Then I did 3 others and a BTEC so I only had 7 different classes.
Reply 55
Original post by Teatania
More than likely, and the ones there aren't exactly the best either. My own teacher would regularly take herself off for smoke breaks and once forgot about my class and went to Tescos instead! I was lucky to scrape a B. :s-smilie:

Maths teaching at the college I went to after school is appalling as ever, too. Only two of the maths teachers actually studied maths (or science/engineering) degrees. Of those who didn't, most of them struggled with A-level maths (so they willingly told me).

It's pretty depressing when you see the reasons for our country's level of general ignorance right in front of your face.

Less Daily Mail, more New Scientist.
(edited 11 years ago)
11 as my school only offered real GCSE's and any more would have been far too much.
11 and IT (not sure if it was a GCSE)

Art, Business Studies, English Language, English Literature, French, Geography, IT, Maths, RE, Science, Additional Science, and Spanish.

RE wasn't optional, and the top set in our school had to do 2 languages, the rest had to do at least 1.
10, but you wont need more than 10 really...

After you go to college they hardly even matter, (except in some top unis, but grades over quantity)

I would say 11 or 12 should be a max, but you also have to think about the time they will take up. I had a full schedule doing 10 so 17 would mean lots of work outside of school
well i did the IB MYP as my main qualification in years 10 and 11, on top of that I took 6 optional igcses (could have done 7, but i sucked at french!). My school now (i lived in germany for yrs 10 and 11) offers 10 gcses as standard, with the possibility for the weaker students to drop one, possibly 2, but there are also a few extra ones you can take, such as pe and japanese, and italian during your alevels. this year it got complicated though, because we took in the yr 11s from a nearby school that closed down, so we took on their teachers too, and they (a girls school) in a mixed school, basically had their own timetable of lessons doing the syllabuses that they were doing at their old school.. was all a bit of a mess really...

Quick Reply

Latest