The Student Room Group

Videos on studying medicine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chief Wiggum
Right, so if someone more "qualified" gives their opinion, you instantly have to agree with them?

You aren't even at medical school yet; does that mean that if someone at medical school tells you something, you have to just agree with them automatically? No, of course not.

I don't see what's so controversial about accepting that people with more seniority and experience generally know what they're talking about better than someone with less experience (or in this case: no experience) :confused:

Of course you don't have to "instantly agree" with anyone...but when someone is giving logical advice, you'd be a fool not to listen to them.

The OP can knock himself out watching pathology vids or whatever on youtube. I'm not sure how watching videos detailing wound healing or inflammation is helpful in deciding whether or not to do medicine but then again maybe the OP knows best :curious:
Original post by Soletar
Thank you for your reply. But that is not what i asked you or anyone else. If i wanted that, my question would have been "how do i get a place in medical school".... You should have read my request carefully

It would be more appropriate to start with BBC Horizon documentaries you might learn something useful. Like manners and professionalism.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Democracy
I don't see what's so controversial about accepting that people with more seniority and experience generally know what they're talking about better than someone with less experience (or in this case: no experience) :confused:

Of course you don't have to "instantly agree" with anyone...but when someone is giving logical advice, you'd be a fool not to listen to them.

The OP can knock himself out watching pathology vids or whatever on youtube. I'm not sure how watching videos detailing wound healing or inflammation is helpful in deciding whether or not to do medicine but then again maybe the OP knows best :curious:

I didn't see anything wrong with digitalis' original post, but then I didn't see anything wrong with the OP's reponse to it either, which is the post that everyone (rather unfairly, in my opinion) took issue with.

You're right that viewing medschool videos may not be helpful, but maybe OP just wanted to see how things were taught? I don't know.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I didn't see anything wrong with digitalis' original post, but then I didn't see anything wrong with the OP's reponse to it either, which is the post that everyone (rather unfairly, in my opinion) took issue with.

You're right that viewing medschool videos may not be helpful, but maybe OP just wanted to see how things were taught? I don't know.

It was just his general demeanour, arrogance and rudeness.

Medicine is taught differently in different places, the content of medical courses can easily be found on-line and in books.

What do you gain in watching detailed video content/lectures designed for students studying medicine before you enter?

Wanting to know how a particular course is taught, eg an on-line lecture for X medical school then fine. Buy what will a non-medical student gain from watching one of Dr Najeebs lectures?
Reply 24
Original post by Soletar
Good day friends,

I am a 28 year old who wishes to go to medical school in the nearest future. I wish to prepare myself ahead. Please are there any high quality video series (on subjects such as anatomy, physiology, biochemistry etc) on the study of Medicine that you recommend?. The more popular, the better because i will be able to get it fast this way. Thank you

This is an example….

Understanding the Human Body: An Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology
(32 lectures, 45 minutes/lecture)

Taught by Anthony Goodman
Montana State University
M.D., Cornell Medical College

Just buy an anatomy book if you're really interested. Depends how much background knowledge you have on medicine in the first place. Watching a video won't do you much good. But if you're really interested, just go on the best video resource known to mankind: youtube.

Oh and PS, just listen to what digitalis said lol, he knows his stuff.
Reply 25
You can't tell her not to watch videos or to just buy a book everyone learns medicine differently. Go ahead get the Kaplan videos they are good. It will motivate you to get going and give you a good background to start. Have fun with it and take advantage of this time to learn as much as you can. Go ahead learn the stuff, shadow doctors, be obsessive if you want to. I love medicine and I bought Kaplan a year before med school I just finished boards here in the US and scored in the top 95%. That is the attitude you should take. Just learn as much as you can and love it. Don't listen to anyone that tells you to be mediocre.
Reply 26
Original post by JensenMD
You can't tell her not to watch videos or to just buy a book everyone learns medicine differently. Go ahead get the Kaplan videos they are good. It will motivate you to get going and give you a good background to start. Have fun with it and take advantage of this time to learn as much as you can. Go ahead learn the stuff, shadow doctors, be obsessive if you want to. I love medicine and I bought Kaplan a year before med school I just finished boards here in the US and scored in the top 95%. That is the attitude you should take. Just learn as much as you can and love it. Don't listen to anyone that tells you to be mediocre.
Thanks a great deal, this just sums up my general sentiment. I can be judged to be arrogant and rude as much as some have insinuated, i frankly do not care. I never asked for anyone's opinion about how i should prepare, i just asked for the PREPARATORY MATERIALS...how difficult is this to answer? Can you order a Harry Potter book on Amazon and be told that you should read a Stephen King book instead?

I have 3 elder siblings that are Consultants in various fields so i am not totally ignorant of Medicine. I would have asked them this same question, but they finished school a very long time ago in an age of no Internet and they did so in a different continent. I came here because i felt people here will have the most up-to-date knowledge and the best materials to prepare...

Leave me to judge the effectiveness of my study technique...some of the rude responses here have been frankly hilarious. I would not have responded in like manner if he had not started impolitely. When i go to a grocery store and i ask for a chocolate-flavored ice-cream, i expect to get just that. Is studying before Medical School a waste of MY time?. Let it be, at least it is MY time and not yours. Should i plan your own leisure period for you? No knowledge is wasted and i would appreciate wasting MY OWN time by intellectually enriching myself.

Reading and studying has NEVER hurt me before, so i will definitely discard any supposed "experts" advice to the contrary. The question again was "VIDEOS ON THE STUDY OF MEDICINE".....how to get into Medical School is not the problem because i got admission to study Medicine with top marks last year but couldn't come because of a conflict with my Msc Biochemistry programme which i have since finished. I have emphasized several times that money isn't the object here, what i asked for was video material of the highest quality...How difficult is that to process? Stick to the question asked!!! I would personally judge their effectiveness and quality. Because i find chocolate tasty , does it mean everyone's taste buds globally must work in the same manner? What worked for one must not necessarily work for everyone else. I appreciate thank and all those that made helpful suggestions and suggested video resources. And the "EXPERTS" who refused to answer the question and offered unsolicited "advice",thanks for the laughs...Good day.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by carcinoma
It would be more appropriate to start with BBC Horizon documentaries you might learn something useful. Like manners and professionalism.

BAM.

OP people who know what they're talking about have offered you plenty of useful advice yet you continue to be rude and arrogant. If you want to get into medical school you might want to brush up on those people skills, don't wanna watch all those videos and then be denied a place now do you :wink:
You asked what videos to watch. The answer from most medical students was "none". How is that not a valid answer?

At the risk of further arrogance from yourself I will go no further than to say you should watch the following videos: none.
Reply 29
To be honest, I would be completely on the OP's side if it were not for his uber-harsh replies to some suggestions. As far as I can make out, people seem to be against him because they feel his time would be better spent doing Vol/Shadowing work instead.

Now, I'm no medical student, and correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the first two years basically spent hunched over Anatomy/Physiology/Biochemistry books with comparatively little clinical experience? I know a fair few people who go into Medicine because they love the Human Biology side of it. If the OP is interested, why shouldn't he act on that interest and explore a bit further? It is almost as if some think that exploring Medicine is a right that only Med students have, but surely it is the right of anyone who even has an amateur interest in Medicine. Even if it is a waste of time, since he is 28 (which is guess is older than most of the people posted so far), it should be up to him on how to spend it.

Also, everyone seems to be against the harsh replies that the OP posts, but some of the replies posted by Medical students and even doctors on this thread aren't exactly kind either

If the OP wants to 'waste' time, he can knock himself out - its hardly anyone else's business. All he asked for was a bunch of videos, why is it so hard to give him a straight response?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by pi=3
If the OP wants to 'waste' time, he can knock himself out - its hardly anyone else's business. All he asked for was a bunch of videos, why is it so hard to give him a straight response?

I think the problem is more to do with the fact that anything he watches is going to be fairly superficial, if not potentially misleading.
I regularly read medical literature and watch documentaries but I'm not under the illusion that this will help me in any way, shape or form. If you want to read physiology, fine, but it won't get you into medical school. It's not hard to YouTube medicine videos if you want, OP. Just don't expect it to be correct; there's a reason you have to study at medical school to be a doctor instead of watching videos!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
I wouldn't worry, judging by your attitude in this thread, you don't have a hope in hell of getting in in any case..
Reply 33
Original post by Soletar
Thanks a great deal, this just sums up my general sentiment. I can be judged to be arrogant and rude as much as some have insinuated, i frankly do not care. I never asked for anyone's opinion about how i should prepare, i just asked for the PREPARATORY MATERIALS...how difficult is this to answer? Can you order a Harry Potter book on Amazon and be told that you should read a Stephen King book instead?

I have 3 elder siblings that are Consultants in various fields so i am not totally ignorant of Medicine. I would have asked them this same question, but they finished school a very long time ago in an age of no Internet and they did so in a different continent. I came here because i felt people here will have the most up-to-date knowledge and the best materials to prepare...

Leave me to judge the effectiveness of my study technique...some of the rude responses here have been frankly hilarious. I would not have responded in like manner if he had not started impolitely. When i go to a grocery store and i ask for a chocolate-flavored ice-cream, i expect to get just that. Is studying before Medical School a waste of MY time?. Let it be, at least it is MY time and not yours. Should i plan your own leisure period for you? No knowledge is wasted and i would appreciate wasting MY OWN time by intellectually enriching myself.

Reading and studying has NEVER hurt me before, so i will definitely discard any supposed "experts" advice to the contrary. The question again was "VIDEOS ON THE STUDY OF MEDICINE".....how to get into Medical School is not the problem because i got admission to study Medicine with top marks last year but couldn't come because of a conflict with my Msc Biochemistry programme which i have since finished. I have emphasized several times that money isn't the object here, what i asked for was video material of the highest quality...How difficult is that to process? Stick to the question asked!!! I would personally judge their effectiveness and quality. Because i find chocolate tasty , does it mean everyone's taste buds globally must work in the same manner? What worked for one must not necessarily work for everyone else. I appreciate thank and all those that made helpful suggestions and suggested video resources. And the "EXPERTS" who refused to answer the question and offered unsolicited "advice",thanks for the laughs...Good day.

I wouldn't worry, judging by your attitude in this thread, you don't have a hope in hell of getting in in any case..
Reply 34
Original post by Soletar
Good day friends,

I am a 28 year old who wishes to go to medical school in the nearest future. I wish to prepare myself ahead. Please are there any high quality video series (on subjects such as anatomy, physiology, biochemistry etc) on the study of Medicine that you recommend?. The more popular, the better because i will be able to get it fast this way. Thank you

This is an example….

Understanding the Human Body: An Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology
(32 lectures, 45 minutes/lecture)

Taught by Anthony Goodman
Montana State University
M.D., Cornell Medical College

I think we'd need more information in regards to what medical school you'll be attending, then having someone there suggesting material. There's no point directing you to topics which will have no relevance to your studies.
Original post by pi=3

Also, everyone seems to be against the harsh replies that the OP posts, but some of the replies posted by Medical students and even doctors on this thread aren't exactly kind either

This is basically what I was thinking.

EDIT: I see a Mod has edited my post. I'm not entirely sure what was wrong with it to be honest... Are you able to explain why you have edited my post?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by pi=3
To be honest, I would be completely on the OP's side if it were not for his uber-harsh replies to some suggestions. As far as I can make out, people seem to be against him because they feel his time would be better spent doing Vol/Shadowing work instead.

Now, I'm no medical student, and correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the first two years basically spent hunched over Anatomy/Physiology/Biochemistry books with comparatively little clinical experience? I know a fair few people who go into Medicine because they love the Human Biology side of it. If the OP is interested, why shouldn't he act on that interest and explore a bit further? It is almost as if some think that exploring Medicine is a right that only Med students have, but surely it is the right of anyone who even has an amateur interest in Medicine. Even if it is a waste of time, since he is 28 (which is guess is older than most of the people posted so far), it should be up to him on how to spend it.

Try formulating a response with the same sentiment yesterday but I eventually gave up. You said it perfectly in my mind.
Reply 37
Original post by pi=3
To be honest, I would be completely on the OP's side if it were not for his uber-harsh replies to some suggestions. Also, everyone seems to be against the harsh replies that the OP posts, but some of the replies posted by Medical students and even doctors on this thread aren't exactly kind either If the OP wants to 'waste' time, he can knock himself out - its hardly anyone else's business. All he asked for was a bunch of videos, why is it so hard to give him a straight response?
I LOVE this post because you perfectly understand the situation. I just disagree that my reply to his 1st message was "harsh". I would have been civil to him if he hadn't been rude, note that i initially thanked him but i reminded him that was definitely not the question i asked. Many people on this thread have said " Kaplan videos are available, but they are too expensive", Now that is an intelligent response- saying these are your options but they might not be too useful... Did i insult such people?

Original post by Soletar
I LOVE this post because you perfectly understand the situation. I just disagree that my reply to his 1st message was "harsh". I would have been civil to him if he hadn't been rude, note that i initially thanked him but i reminded him that was definitely not the question i asked. Many people on this thread have said " Kaplan videos are available, but they are too expensive", Now that is an intelligent response- saying these are your options but they might not be too useful... Did i insult such people?
I frankly see no wisdom if an obese man walks into the store and demands 50 bars of chocolate, and you as a Shop attendant tell him to go the Vegetables section. It is MY time, MY plans and MY future. I have decided the videos will be helpful (from experience in other endeavours). Why must someone try to forcibly dissuade me from my intellectual pursuits?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
Not exactly what you requested, but these people have a series of videos about general life as a medical student.

[video="youtube;0JkRYqMMa_A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JkRYqMMa_A[/video]

This user has videos demonstrating certain medical techniques, most are to do with nursing though

[video="youtube;DhsQbk25isg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhsQbk25isg&feature=plcp[/video]
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Sambo2
Psychic,much? Better try your luck at the EuroMillions Lottery...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending