The Student Room Group

Economics at Warwick, Durham, Bristol?

Hi, i am a student currently studying the IB.
I am considering studying perhaps pure economics at these 3 universities, or any other same-tier universities within the UK.

However, the problem is that i am studying SL maths which is not sufficient. Most top universities prefer HL math. One of my friends told me that warwick considers a 7 with SL maths, however, is this statement valid? and does anyone know what "consider" really means?

I think my predictions will range around 40 to 41, if im lucky. What are my chances to getting into warwick or durham with a SL math 7?
I had also achieved 6 A*, 2B and 1A for my iGCSE's. Econ and history A*

Thanks. Please share you experiences with the economics course in these universities. Preferred if you are or was an IB student that somewhat faced the SL/HL math for economics dilemma.
(edited 11 years ago)
You will be fine at Durham their course isn't that mathematical but the other two are.
Original post by fatits
Hi, i am a student currently studying the IB.
I am considering studying perhaps pure economics at these 3 universities, or any other same-tier universities within the UK.

However, the problem is that i am studying SL maths which is not sufficient. Most top universities prefer HL math. One of my friends told me that warwick considers a 7 with SL maths, however, is this statement valid? and does anyone know what "consider" really means?

I think my predictions will range around 40 to 41, if im lucky. What are my chances to getting into warwick or durham with a SL math 7?
I had also achieved 6 A*, 2B and 1A for my iGCSE's. Econ and history A*

Thanks. Please share you experiences with the economics course in these universities. Preferred if you are or was an IB student that somewhat faced the SL/HL math for economics dilemma.

Friend of mine made Warwick with a predicted 7 in SL Math a couple of years ago so if the level of applicants hasn't changed significantly, you should be fine with those predicted grades. Bristol and Durham is easily achievable with those stats and a decent personal statement.
Reply 3
You NEED HL Math for Warwick economics.

With your profile, I would suggest applying to PPE/Economics and politics and then make the internal switch before year 2 starts
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
You will be fine at Durham their course isn't that mathematical but the other two are.

sorry to kind of change the subject but I was just wondering if you could elaborate on this for me a little because I've heard this before.
If the course is less Maths based, could this be a disadvantage when trying to get a job in finance/banking in the future? Because Durham is ranked for example above Bath for economics, so would I have more change getting a job in finance if I had an economics degree from Durham or Bath? Just hypothetically.
I'm just trying to understand the consequences of Durham's course having less maths, because from what I understand an Econ. degree at Durham is still very prestigious.
Reply 5
You need Math HL if you want to apply for Econ at Warwick. They asked someone I knew for 40 points with 7 at Math HL, though, so just be prepared! Durham on the other hand is quite reasonable with their offers, 36 with 666 at HL, I think, not too hard to make :smile:
Original post by hellomoto170
sorry to kind of change the subject but I was just wondering if you could elaborate on this for me a little because I've heard this before.
If the course is less Maths based, could this be a disadvantage when trying to get a job in finance/banking in the future? Because Durham is ranked for example above Bath for economics, so would I have more change getting a job in finance if I had an economics degree from Durham or Bath? Just hypothetically.
I'm just trying to understand the consequences of Durham's course having less maths, because from what I understand an Econ. degree at Durham is still very prestigious.

To get a job in finance or banking where maths is a requirement, study maths at uni. For the vast majority of jobs, though, it won't matter what you study.
Original post by hellomoto170

It depends what job you want, for a quantitave finance job i.e. actuary or some areas in investment you could be but for a non-quant your fine.

And also if you want to continue Economics at graduate level you could be aswell.
Original post by logiadoevus
To get a job in finance or banking where maths is a requirement, study maths at uni. For the vast majority of jobs, though, it won't matter what you study.

You don't need a maths degree for a quantitative finance job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending