The Student Room Group

Ugly and surrounded by beautiful people.

I know its all about how you feel on the inside bla bla bla, but I hate how I'm treated just because of my looks. Out of the six secondary schools I've been to 4 of them I've been bullied at, in one of them I was entirely ignored by my entire year. The last school I went to was a private school where everyone could afford to be beautiful and I stick out like a sore thumb being chubby, having spotty skin, dull hair, and terrible teeth, I had hardly any friends. It also doesn't help that my own mother is gorgeous and did modelling when she was my age. My younger siblings all seem to take over her as well. I'm like the ugly duckling and it makes me feel terrible. I used to be cute as a child and I actually think most of it is my own fault, my teeth were never properly looked after, I ate crap, I never wore a brace, I never did anything to look after my teeth etc etc. And I can't afford to have anything done about it. My parents are in a lot of debt, and most of my clothes and such that I have are over a few years old. I certainly can't afford facials. And I try to diet, and Im persevering with that, but i often eat out of comfort too! :frown: When I was skinnier a year or two a go I was still ugly because of my teeth, and dark bushy eyebrows and large nose anyways. I have especially bad teeth because I was in a car accident and three were broken and now I've had them replaced and I bruising on my gums and obvious teeth that are a different colour to the rest. It makes me so depressed because I know it has been the major factor in why I've never had many friends. Ive tried makeup but I just look even worse, it makes my skin look worse and lipstick highlights how bad my teeth are. My favourite escapism in the world is acting, but I know I'd never be able to have a proper career in that because of my looks either.

Sorry, I know theres nothing anyone on TSR can do, but the people I'm surrounded by don't understand why I'm so upset by it, mainly because they don't entirely know what it feels like. I guess I just wanted to get it off my chest...

Scroll to see replies

Don't blame a lack of friends just on your looks. Your looks may effect your self-esteem and confidence, which can effect the way you interact with people, but it won't be the only reason you have trouble making friends. Personality has more to do it with it than appearance.

You mention that other people can "afford" to look nice. Do you know how easy it is to deal with some of the things you've complained about without spending a lot of money? For the eyebrows you can pick up a pair of tweezers just for a couple of quid in your local pharmacy and tame them yourself (a little at a time to avoid mistakes, ofc). For your skin and hair, try changing soaps and shampoo/conditioner. You don't even need to buy expensive products for this - just changing what you use every now and then is good. Actually, for shampoo, I'd recommend something as simple as Johnson's baby shampoo. Also, dieting isn't just about food intake - make sure you're exercising too. You don't even need to be able to go for a gym - just go out for a short run a few times a week and increase the distances as you get better at it.

Oh, and you don't need to be classically beautiful/handsome to act. It might be more difficult but that doesn't make it impossible. If it's what you want then give it your all and just go for it.
Original post by sinfonietta
Don't blame a lack of friends just on your looks. Your looks may effect your self-esteem and confidence, which can effect the way you interact with people, but it won't be the only reason you have trouble making friends. Personality has more to do it with it than appearance.

You mention that other people can "afford" to look nice. Do you know how easy it is to deal with some of the things you've complained about without spending a lot of money? For the eyebrows you can pick up a pair of tweezers just for a couple of quid in your local pharmacy and tame them yourself (a little at a time to avoid mistakes, ofc). For your skin and hair, try changing soaps and shampoo/conditioner. You don't even need to buy expensive products for this - just changing what you use every now and then is good. Actually, for shampoo, I'd recommend something as simple as Johnson's baby shampoo. Also, dieting isn't just about food intake - make sure you're exercising too. You don't even need to be able to go for a gym - just go out for a short run a few times a week and increase the distances as you get better at it.

Oh, and you don't need to be classically beautiful/handsome to act. It might be more difficult but that doesn't make it impossible. If it's what you want then give it your all and just go for it.

:rolleyes:

OP, I completely feel your pain. It sucks living as an ugly girl but you have just got to learn to deal with it.

One word of advice: don't believe the crap that other people (mostly females) say that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" or "personality matters!" because it's bull****.

Your looks does matter; ask any "top" man and they'll tell you that. It may make you feel better that there may be people out there who look beyond your appearance, but it's a given that appearances count and so do first impressions.
Ah canny believe u, u makin it sound like its the end ov the world. Get a grip lassie.

First ah suggest u lose a few pounds. Ah mean go easy on the mars bars. If u ken what ah mean.

Secondly try usin head & shoulder shampoo, works great for me like.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
If people won't be friends with you because of your physical appearance, then they're probably douchebags anyway.
Anyway, people are always more critical of themselves, so your hang-ups about your appearance probably aren't really even noticable to others, but they give you low self-esteem which means it is difficult for you to make friends.
Chin up, and just try talking to people because there will be people out there who will find you to be a nice, funny person and will happily be friends with you.
Reply 5
Original post by im so academic
:rolleyes:

OP, I completely feel your pain. It sucks living as an ugly girl but you have just got to learn to deal with it.

One word of advice: don't believe the crap that other people (mostly females) say that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" or "personality matters!" because it's bull****.

Your looks does matter; ask any "top" man and they'll tell you that. It may make you feel better that there may be people out there who look beyond your appearance, but it's a given that appearances count and so do first impressions.

:rofl2: really makes me laugh when you say that..

when you say top man, do you just mean an attractive intelligent/cultured individual?
Reply 6
It takes only one lemon a day to get your face skin right. Some exercise to tone your facial features and lose those extra pounds.
And most important of all, you need to 'feel good' about yourself. That'll prepare you to becoming better, and will release whole lots of hormones the technical names of which I forgot that will actually have a good impact on your looks.

Forget that "top man" for whom your personality doesn't matter. Just remember that, for your looks, for your confidence, for yourself, attitude is all that matter. You are young. You have some job to do, luckily, you've the time too. Good luck. Work hard, you do get results.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
I know its all about how you feel on the inside bla bla bla, but I hate how I'm treated just because of my looks. Out of the six secondary schools I've been to 4 of them I've been bullied at, in one of them I was entirely ignored by my entire year. The last school I went to was a private school where everyone could afford to be beautiful and I stick out like a sore thumb being chubby, having spotty skin, dull hair, and terrible teeth, I had hardly any friends. It also doesn't help that my own mother is gorgeous and did modelling when she was my age. My younger siblings all seem to take over her as well. I'm like the ugly duckling and it makes me feel terrible. I used to be cute as a child and I actually think most of it is my own fault, my teeth were never properly looked after, I ate crap, I never wore a brace, I never did anything to look after my teeth etc etc. And I can't afford to have anything done about it. My parents are in a lot of debt, and most of my clothes and such that I have are over a few years old. I certainly can't afford facials. And I try to diet, and Im persevering with that, but i often eat out of comfort too! :frown: When I was skinnier a year or two a go I was still ugly because of my teeth, and dark bushy eyebrows and large nose anyways. I have especially bad teeth because I was in a car accident and three were broken and now I've had them replaced and I bruising on my gums and obvious teeth that are a different colour to the rest. It makes me so depressed because I know it has been the major factor in why I've never had many friends. Ive tried makeup but I just look even worse, it makes my skin look worse and lipstick highlights how bad my teeth are. My favourite escapism in the world is acting, but I know I'd never be able to have a proper career in that because of my looks either.

Sorry, I know theres nothing anyone on TSR can do, but the people I'm surrounded by don't understand why I'm so upset by it, mainly because they don't entirely know what it feels like. I guess I just wanted to get it off my chest...

Being attractive won't make you happy...you need to accept who you are. It seems that the bullies have reduced your self esteem and you need to try o get some of it back & be more confident. So what if you have spotty skin & damaged teeth? There are many people like that who are good looking. :smile: What I personally find attractive in a person is a tidy appearance, levelheadedness, kindness and a strong desire to do what is morally right.
Original post by Odiem23
Being attractive won't make you happy...you need to accept who you are. It seems that the bullies have reduced your self esteem and you need to try o get some of it back & be more confident. So what if you have spotty skin & damaged teeth? There are many people like that who are good looking. :smile: What I personally find attractive in a person is a tidy appearance, levelheadedness, kindness and a strong desire to do what is morally right.

Thank you Uncle Ben.
Reply 9
Original post by Odiem23

This exactly. OP you're gonna need to sort your priorities right, and by that your physical appearance certainly would not be on the very top.
You seem to think about all this a lot but don't take any action.

I'm ugly. My nose looks like a strawberry with the blackheads, skin that has the texture of sandpaper and a forehead that is the size of hyde park. Do I care? Nope. Why should I care about what people that I have never met before think about me? There's no point crying over something that I can't change, so I might as well embrace it and put up with it. Looks aren't everything you know. If you want to be friends with people that are so shallow that they dislike you because of the way you look then...

What about other qualities like intelligence or fitness? You can't tell me that you're ugliness prevents you from working on those. You mentioned that you wouldn't be able to get a career in acting because of the way you look, but have you actually tried attending a drama school or doing something that can help you achieve your dreams?

Okay rant over, let's talk about what we can improve.
1) Try and be happy. Trust me if your happy with yourself then it will show on the outside. Embrace your looks and just accept that this is what you have to live with. This will help with the self esteem and up you will feel. Ore confident with yourself.
2) Start running/exercising. This doesn't cost anything and will help the whole body and the skin.
3) I know it's hard to make friends late into the school term when you are new. Try being as nice and funny as you can with people. Otherwise join another sixth form and start a clean new slate. Make friends outside of school by volunteering. Looks great in the CV, you're helping other people and you will make friends (provided you're not too shy).
Original post by Ursin
If people won't be friends with you because of your physical appearance, then they're probably douchebags anyway.
Anyway, people are always more critical of themselves, so your hang-ups about your appearance probably aren't really even noticable to others, but they give you low self-esteem which means it is difficult for you to make friends.
Chin up, and just try talking to people because there will be people out there who will find you to be a nice, funny person and will happily be friends with you.

*******s. Everyone does this.

Original post by Spontogical
:rofl2: really makes me laugh when you say that..

when you say top man, do you just mean an attractive intelligent/cultured individual?

That and then some. :yep:

Original post by Gulliviere
This exactly. OP you're gonna need to sort your priorities right, and by that your physical appearance certainly would not be on the very top.

Accept that you're ugly? Easier said than done. You're not in my or the OP's position.
Original post by Ursin

:eyebrow: Sounds like you've never met anyone nice in your life.

I don't judge friends on appearance. Potential lovers? Yes - I'll admit I can be vain sometimes when it comes to romance. But friends? No.
:eyebrow: Sounds like you've never met anyone nice in your life.

I don't judge friends on appearance. Potential lovers? Yes - I'll admit I can be vain sometimes when it comes to romance. But friends? No.

Really? Most people judge on who they are friends with based on appearance.

It's not vain at all to judge on people's looks for relationships.
Reply 14

Really? I don't and none of my friends or family do.

But you think you are absolutely ugly, but you have friends. The fact that you have friends means you judged them on appearance, meaning they are attractive. And, if you think everyone does this, they must think you're attractive too if they consider you their friend.

Potential suitors :sexface:

I was socially awkward and didn't put any effort into my appearance in my early teens. People judged me and I remember how awful that felt, so I don't judge anyone. It leads to meeting plenty of interesting people. :biggrin:
Original post by Ursin
Really? I don't and none of my friends or family do.

If I were a nice person and we shared similar values and we liked doing similar things, would you genuinely be interested in being friends with me despite my being ugly?

(Just so you don't get this the wrong way, I'm not actually asking you to be friends with me, I'm just wondering what you would do in that situation).

Original post by Id and Ego seek
But you think you are absolutely ugly, but you have friends. The fact that you have friends means you judged them on appearance, meaning they are attractive. And, if you think everyone does this, they must think you're attractive too if they consider you their friend.

Potential suitors :sexface:

No.

I was socially awkward and didn't put any effort into my appearance in my early teens. People judged me and I remember how awful that felt, so I don't judge anyone. It leads to meeting plenty of interesting people. :biggrin:

Exactly. The only people who don't judge are ugly people. For example, me.
Make friends with other ugly people like me! :biggrin:

:ahee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending