Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help! Hair falling out

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have been dyeing my hair on and off for about a year and a half, i recently went from dark to blonde using the xxl hair dye. I dye my hair every 2 to 3 months noe mostly just the roots because I'm blonde. I wash my hair every other day and somtimes even leave it a couple of days unwashed. I only straighten it when i wash it and use heat protection. I also have been using moisturising and restoring conditioners, shampoos and treatments.

The problem is every time i run my hands through my hair (espcially wen wet) i get quite a bit of hair falling out and when i am styling my hair with my detangling brush it falls. Its really annoying cause I am looking after my hair and it continues to fall out.

Any solutions?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Off the top of my head, I'd say stop dyeing it.

Aside from that, it could be anything from your sleeping patterns to your diet.
    Eat a balanced diet (make sure you have about 8-10 mg of Zinc everyday) and it would promote healthy hair growth.
    Also, sleep at regular hours. If you go to bed really late every night, that might be causing hair loss as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maddy Hurrell)
    I have been dyeing my hair on and off for about a year and a half, i recently went from dark to blonde using the xxl hair dye. I dye my hair every 2 to 3 months noe mostly just the roots because I'm blonde. I wash my hair every other day and somtimes even leave it a couple of days unwashed. I only straighten it when i wash it and use heat protection. I also have been using moisturising and restoring conditioners, shampoos and treatments.

The problem is every time i run my hands through my hair (espcially wen wet) i get quite a bit of hair falling out and when i am styling my hair with my detangling brush it falls. Its really annoying cause I am looking after my hair and it continues to fall out.

Any solutions?

Is it coming out from the roots or is it smaller pieces (like 1 inch) coming off from the ends? If it's from the ends then it's definitely due to damage from dying - and it is inportant you get these damaged bits cut off asap as no ammount of conditioning will help that.

If it is coming out from the actual root, any number of things could have caused this, e.g stress, bad diet, wearing hair extensions etc.. if it continues go to your gp as they will be able to help
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maddy Hurrell)

Any solutions?
    Stop dyeing your hair! Hair dye is full of hydrogen peroxide other chemicals that damages hair. If you really want to protect your hair stop dyeing . Just stick to shampoo's such as head and shoulders, or something even lighter like the yellow johnsons baby shampoo. Also consider using some sort of hair oil - that'll strengthen your hair.

Good luck

P.S. I used to work at l'oreal hq and they basically know hair dye is bad for your hair but sell it anyway because for them it's about money money money! Don't get pulled in by the excessive marketing these big companies use! Be yourself!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popsicles3)
    Is it coming out from the roots or is it smaller pieces (like 1 inch) coming off from the ends? If it's from the ends then it's definitely due to damage from dying - and it is inportant you get these damaged bits cut off asap as no ammount of conditioning will help that.

If it is coming out from the actual root, any number of things could have caused this, e.g stress, bad diet, wearing hair extensions etc.. if it continues go to your gp as they will be able to help
    Think its coming from the ends so your right I probably need a hair cut lol thanks for the advice
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    Stop dyeing your hair! Hair dye is full of hydrogen peroxide other chemicals that damages hair. If you really want to protect your hair stop dyeing . Just stick to shampoo's such as head and shoulders, or something even lighter like the yellow johnsons baby shampoo. Also consider using some sort of hair oil - that'll strengthen your hair.

Good luck

P.S. I used to work at l'oreal hq and they basically know hair dye is bad for your hair but sell it anyway because for them it's about money money money! Don't get pulled in by the excessive marketing these big companies use! Be yourself!
    Trust me I know dyeing is damagaing but I get bored of my hair colour , to be fair my hair has only got in a bad way when going from dark to blonde so maybe a diffrent colour and leave it longer till redyeing - saying this I do appreciate all of your wisdom
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've got this (although I rarely dye my hair), tomorrow I get the results of a thyroid test because my doctor thinks it could be related to that (not the only symptom though). Might be worth looking into if you have any other illness?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 7, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered hair care and hairstyles threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.