The Student Room Group

Giving up JSA for college, how can I support myself?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ClaraJayne
I got a job now guys :biggrin:! Super happy. It's also my first offical job and working on the tills so i'm a little nervous but i'm thrilled :smile: Thanks for all the support from people in this thread :smile: I hope one day everyone else stuck in my situation will manage to sort things out :smile: x :biggrin:

that's fantastic news! good luck with the job as well :smile:
I got a job now guys :biggrin:! Super happy. It's also my first offical job and working on the tills so i'm a little nervous but i'm thrilled :smile: Thanks for all the support from people in this thread :smile: I hope one day everyone else stuck in my situation will manage to sort things out :smile: x :biggrin:

Perseverance pays off in the end. Enjoy :smile:

Original post by Tigrah99
Really sorry to hear that, this is what I foresee my life will soon be like. I'm super worried because although I know my family will support me, what about things like my phone bill? I'm trying ridiculously hard to get a weekend job right now, I'm getting p*ssed off beyond belief at lack of response and the one interview I did manage to get resulted in nothing. I just have to keep trying I guess because I think benefits are pretty much out of the question =/

Neither of you should give up. It took me a year to find a job, and almost 2 to find a decent one!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 122

Oh well done! I'm really happy for you :smile: I have a recruitment day thing with Starbucks (bleugh) on Thursday which may end in a job, so wish me good luck!
Okay honestly I didn't read all the replies but you can go to college and still claim JSA, I just finished a full time course while claiming JSA because my lesson hours were under 16 hours all together all I needed was a letter from my tutor saying I did under 16 hours that was a formal letter from the college, the job centre only looked for part time jobs for me and made sure they fitted around my course.
I was going to ignore this absolute pillock posting in the thread, but then I spotted this little gem:

Original post by anthonyfl
if you make the effort in every respect possible, jobs come flying at you.

All I have to say is:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You really believe that?

I pity you. Gooid luck when you enter the real world.
Reply 125
Original post by LittleStarling
Okay honestly I didn't read all the replies but you can go to college and still claim JSA, I just finished a full time course while claiming JSA because my lesson hours were under 16 hours all together all I needed was a letter from my tutor saying I did under 16 hours that was a formal letter from the college, the job centre only looked for part time jobs for me and made sure they fitted around my course.

That's great to know - I'm not sure when I will be getting my timetable but I'll be sure to check that out. What course did you do?
Reply 126
Original post by snowyowl
I was going to ignore this absolute pillock posting in the thread, but then I spotted this little gem:

All I have to say is:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You really believe that?

I pity you. Gooid luck when you enter the real world.

Indeed.. I have made a huge effort to try and get employment and I have to say that jobs have flown at me with all the speed of a crippled snail.
I studied BTEC ND in Art and Design so I don't know about how they would be with a Uni course but they told me that because it was under 16 hours it was technically a part time course and was good enough for them so I would suggest calling them and talking to them about it
Reply 128
I'm 19 and currently on Jobseeker's Allowance. After many months of trying and failing to find a job, I decided that what I really need is to get back into education. I have been offered a place on an Access Course starting in September, for which I will have to give up JSA as obviously I can't be on it at the same time. My problem is, I have bills and rent to pay - how will I live? Of course, the obvious answer to this is to get a evening/weekend job, but of course the problem in the first place was that I'm finding getting a job really difficult, so it may be a while until I can get one! It seems to me that there is pretty much nothing I can get in the way of benefits or grants if I go back to college. I really want to go because I just have to just get up out of this depressing cycle of bad jobs and unemployment and go to university next year - I don't want to count not going as an option. I figure there's got to be something out there to help until I can get a part time job, right?

You will have to pay the full course fees if you aren't on benefits. You will also be unable to work if the course is full time.
Original post by TristanS
You will have to pay the full course fees if you aren't on benefits.

Not if you're under 24 and this is your first level 3 course.
Reply 130
Original post by OU Student
Not if you're under 24 and this is your first level 3 course.

That rules out most people on the course.
Reply 131
Original post by TristanS
You will have to pay the full course fees if you aren't on benefits. You will also be unable to work if the course is full time.

No I won't - everyone is entitled to a level 3 qualification for free if they don't already have one. Making certain of things like fees was the first thing I did before applying for the course, so I'm not worrying about that :smile:
No I won't - everyone is entitled to a level 3 qualification for free if they don't already have one. Making certain of things like fees was the first thing I did before applying for the course, so I'm not worrying about that :smile:

Only entitled if between 19 and 24 and not on benefits.
Reply 133
Just an update for this thread - I've been to countless interviews for weekend/part-time jobs in the past few weeks, no luck so far. I start college on Monday, so it's looking ever more likely that I will be scraping by with no money for the foreseeable future until I finally get lucky - I'll just have to be creative when it comes to coughing up the cash for my phone bill this month haha!! I'm trying to be laid back about it.. I'm doing what I wanted after all and that's the main thing! Uni here I come :smile:
Reply 134
Original post by OU Student
Only entitled if between 19 and 24 and not on benefits.

I am 20, and not according my college. As far as I've been told, as it's my first level 3 it doesn't make a difference. I won't be on benefits whilst studying anyway so if that's the case I'll still be eligible.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm 19 and currently on Jobseeker's Allowance. After many months of trying and failing to find a job, I decided that what I really need is to get back into education. I have been offered a place on an Access Course starting in September, for which I will have to give up JSA as obviously I can't be on it at the same time. My problem is, I have bills and rent to pay - how will I live? Of course, the obvious answer to this is to get a evening/weekend job, but of course the problem in the first place was that I'm finding getting a job really difficult, so it may be a while until I can get one! It seems to me that there is pretty much nothing I can get in the way of benefits or grants if I go back to college. I really want to go because I just have to just get up out of this depressing cycle of bad jobs and unemployment and go to university next year - I don't want to count not going as an option. I figure there's got to be something out there to help until I can get a part time job, right?

Did you know you can do the Access course via distance learning?

http://www.distancelearningcentre.com/index.php

100% legit I assure you. I did lots of research before joining up- you will be able to stay on JSA.
Always check how many hours a Part time Access course is - My daughters boyfriend does 11 hours a week at college = 455 hours per year.
The Assess course is down in books as Part time but he cant get JSA as they say he doing too many hours X

Has his own flat and bills yet gets nothing !!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending