The Student Room Group

Designer Brands for Men

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chelseafan
What in your opinion are the best brands for men that aren't chavvy? Need some new clothes but not too sure on brands.

Basically anything from Armani, Dior, Dolce and Gabbana, Givenchy, Gucci, Hermès, Louis Vuitton and Prada for the top of the range clothing. Hugo Boss, Lacoste, Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger are also worth a look :smile:

Edit: In regards to jeans, Armani are hit and miss, I own several pairs and it is pretty evenly split down the middle with ones that are completely ****ed and those that are still as new... that said, those that are ****ed were mostly my doing from drunk nights out I think so they may still be very good for you :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
for jeans try diesel or levi's but if you want something a bit cheaper try topshop, next or gap

for something more formal I would suggest ralph lauren, louis vutton, dolce gabbana and if you want something cheaper I would say try a high street department store like debenhams
Reply 22
Well if you do have a high budget as you say for t-shirts; Burberry, A&F, RL, EA and the like are pretty good albeit very pricey...
For jeans; Armani, Levis, RL, Versace, Tommy Hilfigeur [these ones lasted me about 4 years aswell :biggrin:]
But tbh theres so so many brands out there of varying quality youre better off going to somewhere like TK Maxx or an outlet village to have a poke about...
Original post by Dux_Helvetica
Do you really care that much about brands? Just get clothes that look nice and don't burn a hole in your wallet.

This this this. Anybody plastered in garishly branded clothing just screams to me "I have literally no personal taste but everything with Jack Wills written on it was expensive so I got it just because"
Reply 24
Original post by tehFrance
Basically anything from Armani, Dior, Dolce and Gabbana, Givenchy, Gucci, Hermès, Louis Vuitton and Prada for the top of the range clothing. Hugo Boss, Lacoste, Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger are also worth a look :smile:

Didnt know Dior, Givenchy, Hermes, LV and Prada made something as common as T-shirts and the like :wink:
Original post by cl_steele
Didnt know Dior, Givenchy, Hermes, LV and Prada made something as common as T-shirts and the like :wink:

That was not specified in the OP, I just wrote what was not considered chavvy.
For jeans Levis for just casual tops on nights out All-Saints is quite popular at the moment also ralph lauren can be worn in chav or nice so thats an option with the right combination of other clothes. Also lyle and scott / Tommy Hilfiger are nice for shirts. I'm going by my brother and his friends clothes so probably have a biased opinion but yeah try these out the shop Choice stocks them all I think...Hope this helps!
Reply 27
That was not specified in the OP, I just wrote what was not considered chavvy.

ah fair enough although he did say it in the 4th post :tongue:
Although given the amount of fakes on the market these days every pikey and his dog seems to be clad in LV, its a sad time :/
Vivienne Westwood
Alexander McQueen
Roberto Cavalli
Original post by Happydude
This this this. Anybody plastered in garishly branded clothing just screams to me "I have literally no personal taste but everything with Jack Wills written on it was expensive so I got it just because"

I wouldn't call myself a fashion aficionado, but I like dressing well in a way that suits me. Nothing peeves me more than people who think that wearing designer brands immediately confers them impeccable taste. Getting fake designer clothing is arguably even worse because you compromise on quality while at the same time making yourself look like a prick.
Original post by cl_steele
ah fair enough although he did say it in the 4th post :tongue:
Although given the amount of fakes on the market these days every pikey and his dog seems to be clad in LV, its a sad time :/

That is true however you can spot the fakes from a mile off so it is all good :h:
Reply 31
Levi's Vintage Clothing jeans (NOT standard Levi's line) are decent if you want pre-washed jeans. APC jeans are reasonable value if you want raw jeans. Uniqlo/Edwin jeans are decent low end choices.

People saying brands like Versace, Prada, Hugo Boss, Diesel, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, D&G etc are just spouting off random famous labels that are not renowned at all for their jeans at all. Although some of these brands are considered high end, they just produce generic average quality jeans that are poor value. If you really must give a general high end label that produces good jeans then Dior jeans are generally well respected.
Original post by tsnake23
People saying brands like Diesel... are not renowned at all for their jeans at all.

What are you on about? Diesel is renowned for its jeans, seriously wtf? Diesel is jeans!
Reply 33
What are you on about? Diesel is renowned for its jeans, seriously wtf? Diesel is jeans!

I meant renowned in terms of their quality. Anyone who takes an interest in jeans will know that Diesel jeans are rubbish for their price.
What in your opinion are the best brands for men that aren't chavvy? Need some new clothes but not too sure on brands.

All-Saints! Not too flashy clothes but very stylish and all their stock is limited and designer. Only downside is the cost. They normally do very earthy colours.
Original post by tsnake23
I meant renowned in terms of their quality. Anyone who takes an interest in jeans will know that Diesel jeans are rubbish for their price.

So how come all my Diesel jeans are in the best condition compared to other jeans in my collection... especially considering the amount of times I have worn them... :holmes:
Personally im a huge fan of Hilfiger, they've got a sale on at the moment too, so try checking that out! :smile:
Reply 37
What about voi,fred perry,Henleys,Gio Goi,G-star?
What about voi,fred perry,Henleys,Gio Goi,G-star?

Fred Perry is a brand I have seen worn by chavs, likewise Gio-Gio... G-Star is worn by wannabe gangstas... never heard of or seen Voi, Henley is fine but I don't think it is designer.
Reply 39
So how come all my Diesel jeans are in the best condition compared to other jeans in my collection... especially considering the amount of times I have worn them... :holmes:

What jeans are you comparing them to?

Trust me, go and ask whether Diesel jeans are respected in one of the many knowledgeable online fashion forums out there. Nobody with a genuine interest in the jeans community would ever even consider Diesel jeans. You will be laughed at. The fact that they get sold in stores like Republic and USC, and are littered all over outlet stores like TKMaxx/M&M Direct shows that they are mass produced, high profit margin rubbish that appeals to people that like tacky designs and crappy fake washes on their jeans.

Quick Reply

Latest