The Student Room Group

On a scale of 1-10 - How hard do you find driving?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Only passed last week! and towards the end of my lessons i'd say a 7... but now i've passed I so scared! so a 9/10!! but generally peoples tend to relax and forget half of the standards the we should be doing so it doesn't seem that hard >.<
Reply 21
10, I hate driving.
Actually operating my car: 3/4 (it's old, clutch needs to be depressed all the way in or CRUNCH and to do this you need to push off the seat with some force, brakes are non existent too)
Using the road: 3
Unfamiliar: 7

There's this one mini roundabout near where I live, and it's stupidly small and always incredibly busy, and no one knows when to go, literally.
1 if it's a familiar area, low traffic. Increasing up to about 4 depending on the traffic. Then increasing up to 7 depending on familiarity.
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Did you not learn, this is not a good trait you should hope future employees don't see this. Making the same mistake several times is very bad.

She mentioned her instructor, so from that you should guess she's still a learner.
Reply 25
Do you guys think it's difficult because most cars in the UK are manual transmission?
With instructor - 4
With my dad - 10 on a good day. Nightmare.
Reply 27
have my first driving lesson next week and hopefully it won't be 10!
When I was learning, about 74. Now, probably a 2 :tongue:
Reply 29
Original post by james1211
Depends, is the scale linear or logarithmic?

Well it doesn't matter as they are both increasing functions =/
Original post by Ice Constricter
She mentioned her instructor, so from that you should guess she's still a learner.

Doesn't matter.

If you lift the clutch up too quick, and your instructor tells you to lift it up slowly, why would you still continue to lift it up too quick lol?? It's mind boggling!
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Doesn't matter.

If you lift the clutch up too quick, and your instructor tells you to lift it up slowly, why would you still continue to lift it up too quick lol?? It's mind boggling!

Despite how illogical it may sound we can't forget that not everyone's the same. Under pressure some people remain calm and collected while others get into a panic and forget everything they were taught. That's life lol.
Reply 32
Original post by Cephalus

Is a 2 twice as good as a 1 or 1/10th of the range better?
Original post by Cephalus

Neither of them are functions
Reply 34
I've never found driving particularly difficult (maybe a 4/5), I just think it's a chore more than anything. Never enjoyed it.
Reply 35
Doesn't matter.

You assume that they were thinking rationally, and that they have decent control.
I have exactly the same problem and often stall many times at a roundabout, I know I shold be doing it slowly but I panic. Having very unsensitive feet doesn't make it any easier.
driving? like a 2

And then you get on a road full of people and it shoots up to 8/9

II think i'm going to be one of those people who never learns to drive :frown:
places I know 1
busy places I don't know.

During hurricane 'bawbag' I was going over the bridge at Glasgow airport it was raining so hard even with my wind wipers on full I couldn't see for my windscreen being covered in rain! All the Traffic just slowed down. so 7 for that!
Original post by Stilo
Do you guys think it's difficult because most cars in the UK are manual transmission?

No since most people have only driven manuals. I've only drawn a automatic once, it was a ferrari :P
Reply 39
Operating the car is like a 0. It's easy. I struggle with lanes, like those massive roundabouts with millions of lanes crossing each other. I avoid. I also don't like motorways, they scare me, mostly because I have to change lanes. I dunno what it is about changing lanes but I get nervous. Driving in unknown places is always difficult too.

Overall a 7. I don't like driving. First 6 months after passing it's really exciting and thrilling. After that it's boring and stressful.

Quick Reply

Latest