Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Very Basic QM

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I have two questions that I would appreciate help with please. I've looked at the course notes but still don't get it

1) \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|0 \rangle + \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|1 \rangle can be distinguished from \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|0 \rangle - \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|1 \rangle although they only differ by a phase in the |1 \rangle component. Note that this is a relative phase because they differ in the phase of |1 \rangle relative to that of |0 \rangle. In contrast, |0 \rangle and -|0 \rangle differ by a "global phase". Is it possible to detect the global phase via measurement?
    Suppose we perform the measurement in some arbitrary basis |u \rangle, |u^\perp \rangle. Clearly we can write |0 \rangle = a |u \rangle + b |u^\perp \rangle for some complex numbers a and b.
    a) If the qubit is initially in state |0 \rangle, what is the probability that the outcome is u?
    b) If the qubit is instead initially in state -|0 \rangle, what is the probability that the outcome is u?

I've looked at the course notes but I've not come across the terms "phase" and don't quite understand what they mean by "relative" and global".
    I thought that since |0 \rangle = a |u \rangle + b |u^\perp \rangle, the probability of measuring u is just |a|^2 but that seems too simple?
    Also is -|0 \rangle = -a |u \rangle - b |u^\perp \rangle; so the probability of measuring u is also |a|^2?

2) A qubit is either in state |0 \rangle or |\phi \rangle = \cos \theta|0 \rangle + \sin \theta|1 \rangle. Which of the following measurements best distinguishes between these two possibilities?
    a) \cos \left( \dfrac{\theta}{2} - \dfrac{\pi}{4} \right) |0 \rangle + \sin \left( \dfrac{\theta}{2} - \dfrac{\pi}{4} \right)|1 \rangle, \sin \left( \dfrac{\theta}{2} - \dfrac{\pi}{4} \right) |0 \rangle - \cos \left( \dfrac{\theta}{2} - \dfrac{\pi}{4} \right)|1 \rangle
    b) Standard basis: |0 \rangle, |1 \rangle
    c) |\phi \rangle, |\phi^\perp \rangle
    d)a) \cos \dfrac{\theta}{2}  |0 \rangle + \sin  \dfrac{\theta}{2} |1 \rangle, \sin \dfrac{\theta}{2} |0 \rangle - \cos \dfrac{\theta}{2} \right)|1 \rangle

Honestly, I have no idea how to approach this

Thank you for your time
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LogicGoat)
    Hiya, I have two questions that I would appreciate help with please. I've looked at the course notes but still don't get it

1) \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|0 \rangle + \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|1 \rangle can be distinguished from \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|0 \rangle - \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|1 \rangle although they only differ by a phase in the |1 \rangle component. Note that this is a relative phase because they differ in the phase of |1 \rangle relative to that of |0 \rangle. In contrast, |0 \rangle and -|0 \rangle differ by a "global phase". Is it possible to detect the global phase via measurement?
    Suppose we perform the measurement in some arbitrary basis |u \rangle, |u^\perp \rangle. Clearly we can write |0 \rangle = a |u \rangle + b |u^\perp \rangle for some complex numbers a and b.
    a) If the qubit is initially in state |0 \rangle, what is the probability that the outcome is u?
    b) If the qubit is instead initially in state -|0 \rangle, what is the probability that the outcome is u?

I've looked at the course notes but I've not come across the terms "phase" and don't quite understand what they mean by "relative" and global".
    I thought that since |0 \rangle = a |u \rangle + b |u^\perp \rangle, the probability of measuring u is just |a|^2 but that seems too simple?
    Also is -|0 \rangle = -a |u \rangle - b |u^\perp \rangle; so the probability of measuring u is also |a|^2?

2) A qubit is either in state |0 \rangle or |\phi \rangle = \cos \theta|0 \rangle + \sin \theta|1 \rangle. Which of the following measurements best distinguishes between these two possibilities?
    a) \cos \left( \dfrac{\theta}{2} - \dfrac{\pi}{4} \right) |0 \rangle + \sin \left( \dfrac{\theta}{2} - \dfrac{\pi}{4} \right)|1 \rangle, \sin \left( \dfrac{\theta}{2} - \dfrac{\pi}{4} \right) |0 \rangle - \cos \left( \dfrac{\theta}{2} - \dfrac{\pi}{4} \right)|1 \rangle
    b) Standard basis: |0 \rangle, |1 \rangle
    c) |\phi \rangle, |\phi^\perp \rangle
    d)a) \cos \dfrac{\theta}{2}  |0 \rangle + \sin  \dfrac{\theta}{2} |1 \rangle, \sin \dfrac{\theta}{2} |0 \rangle - \cos \dfrac{\theta}{2} \right)|1 \rangle

Honestly, I have no idea how to approach this

Thank you for your time
    I'd recommend reading up about the Bloch sphere. It's the easiest way to represent single qubit states and it makes it easier to understand the phase factors.

For part 2, Do you know how to distinguish between two non-orthogonal states? You want to measure along a basis that is orthogonal to one of the possible states. In this case you want to measure in the |0>, |1> basis. If you obtain a result corresponding to |1> you know for certain that the original state was not |0>. The probability of successfully distinguishing between two states is given by 1 - |<\psi|\phi>| where psi and phi are the two states you want to distinguish between. If phi and psi are orthogonal the inner product is 0 and you have perfect distinguishability.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suneilr)
    I'd recommend reading up about the Bloch sphere. It's the easiest way to represent single qubit states and it makes it easier to understand the phase factors.

For part 2, Do you know how to distinguish between two non-orthogonal states? You want to measure along a basis that is orthogonal to one of the possible states. In this case you want to measure in the |0>, |1> basis. If you obtain a result corresponding to |1> you know for certain that the original state was not |0>. The probability of successfully distinguishing between two states is given by 1 - |<\psi|\phi>| where psi and phi are the two states you want to distinguish between. If phi and psi are orthogonal the inner product is 0 and you have perfect distinguishability.
    Hiya, thanks for replying

I'm reading about the Bloch sphere now, thanks With regard to part 2, why is the |0>, |1> basis any better than the |\phi \rangle, |\phi^\perp \rangle basis?

Thanks again for the help
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

I'm reading about the Bloch sphere now, thanks With regard to part 2, why is the |0>, |1> basis any better than the |\phi \rangle, |\phi^\perp \rangle basis?

That would be just as good a basis. I must have missed that option
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

I'm actually going to have to retract that answer for part 2. The strategy I gave you is if you want unambiguous discrimination.
    If you just want the maximum likelihood estimate you want to measure in the |+>, |-> basis so the answer should be d)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 26, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.