The Student Room Group

Help! My steering wheel's too hot!

Hi guys,

I'm sure most of us have experienced the whole steering wheel too hot to hold scenario, I was just interested in your opinions on what is better - to get a steering wheel cover or a windscreen cover? I'm not really bothered about the rest of the car being hot as I have air con - but I really cant be dealing with the steering wheel being so damn hot!

Thoughts?

Any help much appreciated,
Sam

x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Driving gloves? :cool:

You'd probably be best off with a reflective windscreen cover, because you get the added bonus of keeping the whole car cooler. Even if you do have air con, it's never nice getting into a hot car.
I'd go with whatever's cheaper.
Reply 3
Put a cushion on it overnight/when you stop driving.
Reply 4
Park under a tree? If you can!
Trees are few and far between where I live, and the birds inhabit every single one which means maximum windscreen poos :p:

I'm buying a steering wheel cover as I reckon it will be helpful in the winter too.

Cheers for your thoughts guys :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
Trees are few and far between where I live, and the birds inhabit every single one which means maximum windscreen poos :p:

I'm buying a steering wheel cover as I reckon it will be helpful in the winter too.

Cheers for your thoughts guys :smile:

You can use a cushion, it's magic and you probably already have one :wink:
Reply 7
If you open the windows and start driving it cools down within minutes, if that. I wouldn't bother spending money on it. Again, with hot cars, just go over to your car a minute or two early and open the doors/windows and give it a minute or two to air out, or just open the windows and drive. Within seconds the car interior will cool down. Some of us have to live without fancy things like air conditioning :rolleyes:

A steering wheel cover won't help anyway, unless it's very pale in which case it'll get grubby really quickly. It'll get just as hot as the steering wheel under glass in sunshine if it's black or another dark colour.
Reply 8
Original post by Nuffles
If you open the windows and start driving it cools down within minutes, if that. I wouldn't bother spending money on it. Again, with hot cars, just go over to your car a minute or two early and open the doors/windows and give it a minute or two to air out, or just open the windows and drive. Within seconds the car interior will cool down. Some of us have to live without fancy things like air conditioning :rolleyes:

A steering wheel cover won't help anyway, unless it's very pale in which case it'll get grubby really quickly. It'll get just as hot as the steering wheel under glass in sunshine if it's black or another dark colour.

Drive with no hands until the steering wheel cools down?
Reply 9
Original post by Hopple

It's doable :wink: You can usually do perfectly well with holding it further down the steering wheel, something like the 20 past 8 position or a little lower. If you really want to be naughty you can just grab the bottom of the steering wheel :tongue: Believe me, my steering wheel was too hot to touch today and I did just fine. Given a minute or two it was luke warm.
Original post by Nuffles

The only reason I have air conditioning is because my cousins grandad had to sell his car ASAP and wasn't asking for a lot for it, otherwise I would be having "to live without fancy things like air conditioning :rolleyes:" too. Thanks for your advice, though :smile:
Original post by Hopple

I'd love to be able to do that but you have to park on the pavement where I live :wink: I've tried to hold it further down but it's just as hot all the way around. It's not unbearable but if a cover will help then I'll buy one :smile:
For the sake of your hands and the fuel efficiency of your car (you know air con eats up fuel, right?), get a windscreen cover.
Reply 13
Piece of cardboard over the windscreen. Hold it down with the wiper blades.
Original post by fuzzybear
For the sake of your hands and the fuel efficiency of your car (you know air con eats up fuel, right?), get a windscreen cover.

thanks man :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
The only reason I have air conditioning is because my cousins grandad had to sell his car ASAP and wasn't asking for a lot for it, otherwise I would be having "to live without fancy things like air conditioning :rolleyes:" too. Thanks for your advice, though :smile:

I wasn't really taking a personal dig :tongue: I've owned a car with air conditioning, although it barely worked because it needed recharging. You can buy cars for a couple of hundred quid with AC these days.

I'm just a little bitter because on hot days I still die in the car with the windows all the way down and the blower cranked up to max on cold, all it does it blow warm air over me.
Reply 16
I bought a 37 year old car with air con yesterday...
Reply 17
How does air con use up fuel?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 18
Original post by SAF1234
How does air con use up fuel?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I can't believe people don't know about things like this. AC is powered by a pump, run by a belt off the crankshaft on the front/side of the engine (depending on fwd/rwd), much the same way that the alternator is run, and usually off the same belt. This pump has a clutch on the front, so when you're not using the AC the pulley just spins. When you turn it on, the clutch closes, and the engine starts running the pump. The pump itself uses up quite a significant amount of fuel, although I certainly wouldn't mind dropping my economy by 5mpg to stay cool in this weather personally.
Reply 19
i found a good tip for this, when you park, the part of the steering wheel you hold put it to the bottom. This means it wont get hot but the other parts will, but your not touching that part so its fine.

or you can do as all other drivers do and just get over it and live with a steering wheel that trys to burn your hands when you use it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending