The Student Room Group

Importance of GCSE grades for Russell Group universities

GCSE grades: 4A's ,B and 2C's..( joined year 11 half way through the year as i had just moved to UK)

Straight A's at AS and A2.....Good enough for Russell group unis??
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
It really depends on what you want to do. For instance, courses in high demand will obviously have higher entry requirements like medicine and economics and the more prestigious the uni, the higher grade requirements will be. Why don't you do a little research, check the requirements on the university website. Can I ask what you want to do at university?
Don't worry about your GCSE grades, they're fine for most courses (except for courses like Medicine, Dentistry etc..) at most Russell group universities (unless it's a university Oxbridge or Imperial).
Maybe for Oxbridge, but if you're predicted straight A's then I'd guess the rest of the Russell Group would give you a chance, due to requirements being so high more people fail to get in than at lower unis, so the Russell group unis can afford to give out more conditional offers, knowing that as so many won't meet the offer they won't be oversubscribed, so you should be fine.
Reply 4
Original post by M.Abdullahi
It really depends on what you want to do. For instance, courses in high demand will obviously have higher entry requirements like medicine and economics and the more prestigious the uni, the higher grade requirements will be. Why don't you do a little research, check the requirements on the university website. Can I ask what you want to do at university?

Automotive engineering..i got A for maths gcse
Reply 5
Original post by Politricks
Don't worry about your GCSE grades, they're fine for most courses (except for courses like Medicine, Dentistry etc..) at most Russell group universities (unless it's a university Oxbridge or Imperial).

Are they good enough for engineering?..and can a good Uni like warwick ignore straight A's at a levels bcuz of ****ty GCSE'S?:/
Original post by ateeq22
Are they good enough for engineering?..and can a good Uni like warwick ignore straight A's at a levels bcuz of ****ty GCSE'S?:/

GCSEs aren't the be all and end all of the application process, your GCSEs seem fine anyway - your straight As in your AS levels will be enough for them to consider you.

Which Engineering course are you applying to?
Reply 7
Original post by Politricks
GCSEs aren't the be all and end all of the application process, your GCSEs seem fine anyway - your straight As in your AS levels will be enough for them to consider you.

Which Engineering course are you applying to?

Automotive engineering
What A levels are you taking/have you taken? I think the Uni's I applied to (most were Russell group) cared more about what I got at AS and what I was predicted for A2; they all list minimums that you must have say I wanted/want to do physics and their websites say must have at least a grade C in English GCSE or equivalent but i don't think they pay too much heed to your GCSE's as long as they are good enough that you could get onto the A level courses although Oxbridge, imperial and a few others will pay more attention to them or say on their prospectus's that they want.... although that wouldn't always mean they won't give you an offer? btw well done with the grades as you only moved to England halfway through year 11.
Where are you applying?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by extermin8or
What A levels are you taking/have you taken? I think the Uni's I applied to (most were Russell group) cared more about what I got at AS and what I was predicted for A2; they all list minimums that you must have say I wanted/want to do physics and their websites say must have at least a grade C in English GCSE or equivalent but i don't think they pay too much heed to your GCSE's as long as they are good enough that you could get onto the A level courses although Oxbridge, imperial and a few others will pay more attention to them or say on their prospectus's that they want.... although that wouldn't always mean they won't give you an offer? btw well done with the grades as you only moved to England halfway through year 11.
Where are you applying?

I have taken maths, chem, physics and economics and applied to Warwick, uni of Manchester, loughborough, UCL and a couple others. And Thanks!:smile:
Generally if you have 5 GCSEs any grade from A-C it will not damage your chances of applying to university here. Your A-Levels carry far more weight than GCSEs.
Reply 11
Can I apply for dentistry or medicine with a B in maths GCSE

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I wouldn't see why not.
Reply 13
I've applied and been accepted for a Russell group university, all they asked of me was a C in maths and English gcse (I had As so I was fine) but that was for an English degree :smile:

They mainly go by your A level grades (from my experience and what I've been told by others in the same situation) :biggrin:
I go to Leeds uni which is a russel group uni and my GCSE's were not great. I got 1 A* 3 A's 5 B's and 2 C's. Obviously it depends on the uni i guess, Oxford/Cambridge will probs be a different kettle of fish
I got a C in GCSE maths and it was never mentioned when I applied for Physics at places like Surrey, Sussex, Exeter; however my to be honest awful performance last year (I have an excuse haha but....) was mentioned although places still offered me for a B in maths (I think I've probably gotten a C especially after the Core 4 paper -_- anyone know if they will release the paper they sent to Egypt by accident would love to see what that was like?) so I imagine I'll be taking the year out a few of them recommended to retake a maths module or 2, but yeah none of them mentioned the C in maths-product of being complacent and lazy and not revising :/ regret it a little bit now especially when I saw it was only like 1/2 marks :frown: always the way but I'm sure you'l be fine; UCL and Warwick might pay slightly more attention to your GCSE's than the others but I wouldn't think all that much more.

(A few just said a C in Maths and English; maybe the A,B in English Lit and Lang meant they overlooked the C in maths? I doubt it though because Physics... I think if you are taking the A level most places will put that above the GCSE because clearly if you can pass the A Level well enough you're alot better at the subject than when you did the GCSE?)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by ateeq22
GCSE grades: 4A's ,B and 2C's..( joined year 11 half way through the year as i had just moved to UK)

Straight A's at AS and A2.....Good enough for Russell group unis??

If you don't mind me asking how did you get a school to accept you half way through the year??

Also don't worry, unless you're applying for medicine, there is more emphasis on your A-level grades. You use your As grades to apply for uni.
Reply 17
Original post by akwaiks
If you don't mind me asking how did you get a school to accept you half way through the year??

Also don't worry, unless you're applying for medicine, there is more emphasis on your A-level grades. You use your As grades to apply for uni.

At first they hesitated and asked me to repeat year 11 because I was way too late and I wudnt be able to cope with the pressure. But I said that they could set me a test or something if they weren't sure that I could perform or not. So they did and I flew through it so they accepted me:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest