The Student Room Group

Anybody who got an a* in further maths, any tips????!!!!

Next year, I am to get stuck into Further Maths A Level. I would love an A*!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Study Hard!!!
Reply 2
understand the material
Reply 3
Make sure you understand what you're being taught as soon as possible. If you don't understand at first, try and figure it out that day or the first weekend. If you can't, ask a friend or a teacher to explain it to you in a different way. Don't think you can leave it until study leave to sort it out, it's not a good way of working and you'll be unlikely to be ready for the exam with all of your other subject commitments.

When you begin to revise, try to make sure you remember everything (by doing a selection of questions from a book, depending on how much time you have) before you start past papers, so you don't waste a paper by not remembering how to answer an easy-ish question. It's fine if you get stuck because it's hard, but you should at least know the route you need to take even if you can't complete it. Spend a little more time revising A2 modules as opposed to AS modules as the A* is based on you getting 270UMS from 3 A2 modules, as well as getting 480UMS in all 6 modules.

When you start past papers, make sure you have no distractions, and do them in the allotted time limit. Again, don't worry if you can't finish it in time at first, because you'll get faster as you become more familiar with the style of question, and at least you know you've got to do something about it from the start and not closer to the exam if you start timing yourself too late.

Once completing a past paper, make sure you study the mark scheme and learn the examiner's method. You will get a better understanding of what you get marks for, so you know how to maximise method marks if you can't finish a solution.

Something that I found very useful is also reading the relevant Examiner's report. I found that not many people do this, but it's a gold-mine of information. You can find out what questions most candidates found hard, and the examiner also gives tips as to what sections of a module that candidates should concentrate on. I found it really useful.

Finally, when it comes to exams, don't panic if you found a paper hard. Chances are, most other people did too. Also, you have 5 other papers to concentrate on, where you can grab back any marks that you may have lost on your way to an A*.

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Araya
Make sure you understand what you're being taught as soon as possible. If you don't understand at first, try and figure it out that day or the first weekend. If you can't, ask a friend or a teacher to explain it to you in a different way. Don't think you can leave it until study leave to sort it out, it's not a good way of working and you'll be unlikely to be ready for the exam with all of your other subject commitments.

When you begin to revise, try to make sure you remember everything (by doing a selection of questions from a book, depending on how much time you have) before you start past papers, so you don't waste a paper by not remembering how to answer an easy-ish question. It's fine if you get stuck because it's hard, but you should at least know the route you need to take even if you can't complete it. Spend a little more time revising A2 modules as opposed to AS modules as the A* is based on you getting 270UMS from 3 A2 modules, as well as getting 480UMS in all 6 modules.

When you start past papers, make sure you have no distractions, and do them in the allotted time limit. Again, don't worry if you can't finish it in time at first, because you'll get faster as you become more familiar with the style of question, and at least you know you've got to do something about it from the start and not closer to the exam if you start timing yourself too late.

Once completing a past paper, make sure you study the mark scheme and learn the examiner's method. You will get a better understanding of what you get marks for, so you know how to maximise method marks if you can't finish a solution.

Something that I found very useful is also reading the relevant Examiner's report. I found that not many people do this, but it's a gold-mine of information. You can find out what questions most candidates found hard, and the examiner also gives tips as to what sections of a module that candidates should concentrate on. I found it really useful.

Finally, when it comes to exams, don't panic if you found a paper hard. Chances are, most other people did too. Also, you have 5 other papers to concentrate on, where you can grab back any marks that you may have lost on your way to an A*.

Good luck!

Really useful info!

Would u have maths + f maths exams during As or would u only have normal maths at AS and f maths at A2?

And how many exams for each?

And how well will this go with chemistry and physics?

Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Further Maths AS is okay, but A2 is an absolute killer. It was literally the most torturous thing I have ever done, despite the fact that I love Maths and it's always been my strongest point. With A2, I'll advise you to keep pace and make sure you understand everything as you go through it so you don't get behind.
Is it AS or A2?
What modules are you going to do?
Have you finished C3-C4?
Fll right if you are going to do the whole FM A-Level(I DID IN ONE YEAR)
Then, my first advice would be study the modules YOU ARE BEST AT(It might be mechanics or statistics or even decision maths)!
If you are brilliant at Physics, then you ought to study Mechanics modules(m2-m3 or even m4)
If you LIKE NUMBER CRUNCHING AND DEFINITION, THEN YOU SHOULD STUDY STATISTCS(S2-S4)
If you LIKE LOGICAL THINKING THEN YOU MIGHT PREFER TO STUDY DECISION MATHS!
The ONLY COMPULSORY MODULES ARE FP1-FP3
To get A star, you should BE AN A STAR STUDENT AT MATHS AND ENJOY MATHS TO THE EXTENT YOU WILL BE HAPPY TO DO EXTRA WORK!
My second advise is you START TO COVER C3(trigonometry+differentiation)+C4(partial fractions+differentiation+integraion) RIGHT NOW!!!!!!
IT IS NOT HARD, THERE ARE PLENTY OF WEBSITES< IN CASE IF YOU STUCK!
e.g. http://www.youtube.com/user/maths247 or google examsolutions
MATHS247 PROVIDE YOU WITH FP2 AS WELL! REALLY HELPFUL!
AND OF COURSE TRY TO UNDERSTAND THE MATERIAL< IT IS NOT THE QUANTITY, BUT QUALITY THAT MATTERS!!!!!
A2 FM is INDEED A KILLER!!!
MAKE SURE YOU ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION TO KEY DETAILS IN FM LESSONS!
IT IS VITAL< IF YOU REALLY WANT TO GET AN A STAR!
Reply 8
Take as many A2 modules as you can - the max available would be 5. That way you have 5 shots at getting 270 UMS across your best 3 A2s - and also, you'll become a better mathematician than if you just collect more of the AS modules.
Original post by ECONMATHSMATHSMATH
To get A star, you should BE AN A STAR STUDENT AT MATHS

:eek:
It is obvious, if you crap at Maths, then you are not likely to be excellent at FM!
Original post by Stray
Take as many A2 modules as you can - the max available would be 5. That way you have 5 shots at getting 270 UMS across your best 3 A2s - and also, you'll become a better mathematician than if you just collect more of the AS modules.

The most ****ed up advice ever!
Take 3 - FP2, FP3 and S2, easiest way
Reply 12
Original post by ECONMATHSMATHSMATH
The most ****ed up advice ever!
Take 3 - FP2, FP3 and S2, easiest way

You actually can't do only 5 A2s in total for M & FM, because there are only 6 AS modules available (this is true for all the exam boards, only the A2s vary). This means that you'll normally be doing at least 4 A2s for your FM anyway. Not 3, as you suggest.

But, rather than take an extra AS module in a completely unrelated area of maths, FP1 + 5 A2 modules gives you 5 attempts at getting 3 modules with an average of 90.

In reality you'll have to take at least 7 A2s across your M&FM because there are only 3 applied ASs (S1, D1, M1) available. As Maths is decided only on the basis of C3 and C4, you may as well have C1, C2, X1, Y1 as your other maths modules. That way they only have to be 80 UMS to support the A. (Can actually be lower as 480 is an average).

If you *really* wanted to you could have Z1 (where X, Y and Z are any of S, D and M) in your FM, but that puts more pressure on your other 4 A2s, and means learning another, unrelated, area of maths - it also means doing D1 which is a lot of material to learn, not difficult but can be time consuming.

If you're scraping for an A then there would be better ways to arrange them, but if you're aiming for A* then you're assuming that an A is a given, and at that point I think more chances of A2 exams that happen to suit you is a good thing.

It's also worth noting that if you're thinking of taking maths further, the uni admissions will usually want to know which modules you're taking. They value more A2 units.
Reply 13
Original post by Stray
You actually can't do only 5 A2s in total for M & FM, because there are only 6 AS modules available (this is true for all the exam boards, only the A2s vary). This means that you'll normally be doing at least 4 A2s for your FM anyway. Not 3, as you suggest.

But, rather than take an extra AS module in a completely unrelated area of maths, FP1 + 5 A2 modules gives you 5 attempts at getting 3 modules with an average of 90.

In reality you'll have to take at least 7 A2s across your M&FM because there are only 3 applied ASs (S1, D1, M1) available. As Maths is decided only on the basis of C3 and C4, you may as well have C1, C2, X1, Y1 as your other maths modules. That way they only have to be 80 UMS to support the A. (Can actually be lower as 480 is an average).

If you *really* wanted to you could have Z1 (where X, Y and Z are any of S, D and M) in your FM, but that puts more pressure on your other 4 A2s, and means learning another, unrelated, area of maths - it also means doing D1 which is a lot of material to learn, not difficult but can be time consuming.

If you're scraping for an A then there would be better ways to arrange them, but if you're aiming for A* then you're assuming that an A is a given, and at that point I think more chances of A2 exams that happen to suit you is a good thing.

It's also worth noting that if you're thinking of taking maths further, the uni admissions will usually want to know which modules you're taking. They value more A2 units.

OCR:MEI have 7 AS modules
Reply 14
Read your textbook until you understand it all, then do questions and past papers.
Reply 15
Understand the material to the best of your ability, it doesn't have to be perfect, but a strong understanding of all of the topics is pretty necessary. Then do all the past papers, check some of the solutions for prompts if you need to. Next do some of the mock papers produced by Solomon/in the back of the textbooks/whatever else you can find, and then do all of the past papers again sans solutions. Know those exam techniques like the back of your hand and it'll put you in good stead.
Reply 16
Haha I got a high A at AS and I'm assuming I got a D at A2 - Good luck mate! You're going to need it
Reply 17
Original post by Jam'
OCR:MEI have 7 AS modules

They do indeed - my bad, I forgot that their Numerical Methods paper is an AS.

I *still* think that hedging your bets by giving yourself more chances to get those 90+ A2 modules is a good strategy. If you did take all 7 AS modules then you would have to nail the 3 A2 modules you do in your FM set. No second chances if you get a weird question or have an off day in the exam.
Reply 18
For my maths A-level I did C1-4, S1 and M1. For further maths I did FP1, FP2, M2, S2, D1 and D2. I think this is a good arrangement, you get to do 2 modules from each applied area so you have a wide range of mathematical knowledge. It also gives 4 chances at A2 modules which is handy.

But to get the A* you must apply yourself fully, it is no good skipping lessons, not completing homework, messing around. You will get nowhere. Actually liking maths also helps. Make sure you try hard for the whole year, if you can get high marks in the January exams it gives you a great basis for the June ones and takes a bit of pressure off - even if it doesn't feel like it!

Have fun!
Grade boundaries are generally higher than normal maths. An A* can easily be lost if you make even a few slips and errors so make sure you perfect your methods and working. For example, with FP2 and methods of induction you have to be very clear with your working and explanation or you could easily lose a couple of marks.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X

Quick Reply

Latest