The Student Room Group

Go on Gap Medics or not? Really need a quick reply!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by DebbieBioMed
Hi just stumbled across this post as thinking about going to Gap Medics Tanzania! Did they ask about it in your interview and also did you get into your course?

Were there activities in the evening?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by jonnyb123
Not quite sure what the general student opinion on gapmedics is, but I went to Thailand at the beginning of this year and it was brilliant. I saw loads of surgery standing next to the surgeon in the OR. I got experience in the ER, ICU, ENT clinic, heart attack clinic and loads more. Watching surgery was the best though, I went there everyday :biggrin:. I didn't have holiday in mind when I went there. Some people did, a couple who were on gap years/graduates weren't there solely for the work experience. However it's completely up to you whether you want to do all that touristy stuff. I stayed in the hospital and found my own way back a couple of times because I wanted to watch some late surgery, while everyone was off on safaris or something. On the last night I did go out with everyone else though.

I have a applied to do medicine starting next year and received my first interview yesterday :smile:. I think gapmedics is brilliant, we had two project manager people living in the house with us and they were really great too. I think the most important part of my medicine application (besides the grades/entrance exams etc) was the long term voluntary work (which for me was a hospice), simply because it demonstrates real commitment and interest in a caring capacity. I also managed to get a week in a GP surgery. But the experience I got in Thailand was incredibly important because it confirmed to me that I wanted to do medicine, and I got to see all sorts of things that wouldn't be allowed in England. It gave me loads to talk about in my personal statement and I'm sure I'll be asked about it in my interview(s). It really makes my application stand out. I know this thread is old, but to anyone thinking of doing it, it really is worth it. Hugely expensive, but worth it.

I had a similar experience and thought it was brilliant, but mine was in India in the summer after GCSE's. I used the trip to confirm that I could cope with the blood and guts before committing to medicine oriented A2's. After surviving standing up for 8 hours in surgery in 40 degrees, I knew I could do it and had a huge respect for the Indian doctors doing it every day. I used it in my PS alongside lots of other WE, and had 3 offers, so clearly it didn't affect my application adversely.
Reply 42
Am think of going in January. For those who went how much did it cost with all the flights, visa , ect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending