Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Oxford English Students and Applicants

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm not actually applying to St Edmunds but could you tell me a little bit about your interview? Nobody can tell me anything about the interviews!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    there's a lot of interview stuff around, if you do a search.

basically, i had 2 interviews. first was on an unseen poem (could be a prose extract), and i had ten minutes to read it and make notes then a 20 minute interview on it. i enjoyed it.

second was later that morning, and was a ten minute interview on my personal statement, etc. i was asked "why english" and "why english at oxford?" which they often tell you won't be asked, so it threw me, but generally it wasn't too fearsome either.

i was there until mid-afternoon the next day, when we were told we could leave. i didn't really do the social stuff with other interviewees because i met up with friends who were being interviewed at other colleges instead, but it sounded pretty fun, with films, ice cream, quiz nights, etc. it's pretty much what you'd expect.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Interview at St Peter's for English between 6th and 9th December!

Who else has interviews/waiting to hear about English?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interview for English at St Edmund Hall! So excited (heard by email in case anyone is still waiting!)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interview at University College, Monday 7th December. TERRIFIED.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    you guys are so lucky! I hope I get one X
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Phone interview with St. Hugh's :ahee:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Meeeeee, at Christ Church!

I was excited for about... fifteen minutes. Then I realised I'd spent so long thinking I wouldn't get an interview that I haven't spent the time preparing.

D'oh.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glittergulch)
    I was excited for about... fifteen minutes. Then I realised I'd spent so long thinking I wouldn't get an interview that I haven't spent the time preparing.
    :ditto:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by glittergulch
    and me! then i was hystericallly joyous for half an hour before realising that now i actually had to DO the interview and that that was a really scary prospect..
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Exciting stuff.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interview at Jesus on the 8th!

I'm so so so chuffed Just focusing on that feeling rather than the 'ohholycrapidon'tknowanything' one ><
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interview at St Hugh's. Scary stuff. Haven't done anything since the ELAT because I'd sort of been blocking it out of my mind and enjoying life (it's much easier when you're not at school). Oops.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    At St John's. Still haven't read some book by Thomas Hardy. It's cool, I managed to get through my UCL interview just fine w/out having read it...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got one at Mansfield.

How else are you guys preparing (apart from revising stuff mentioned in your PS)? I'm in the school musical until Saturday and I have to be there on Sunday :ahee:

Can someone remind me when ELAT results come out?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ive got one at st john's, not sure when it is, but i have to be there 6th-9th or 10th

And whyy do we need to read Thomas Hardy??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think Pumpkin is saying that they wrote about a Hardy book in their PS but haven't actually read it (which seems a bit stupid to me :P)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomasElliott)

How else are you guys preparing (apart from revising stuff mentioned in your PS)?

Can someone remind me when ELAT results come out?
    I'm just reading around really. Newspapers and things. Also having a look around the things I've mentioned in my personal statement, rather than re-re-revising stuff on my personal statement.

As for ELAT results -15th January... Though I'm sure colleges have them already. Which is slightly scary as a thought, no?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin gets a snakebite)
    At St John's. Still haven't read some book by Thomas Hardy. It's cool, I managed to get through my UCL interview just fine w/out having read it...

ooh were you there last Wednesday? (UCL that is...)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know if there's going to be a lot to do in between the interviews? I mean, is something going to be organised or do we just entertain ourselves?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: December 22, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.