The Student Room Group

1 hour at gym 3/4 times a week

Mix of cardio and resistance
Combined with healthy eating

How long would it take to lose 10 lbs?

I'm 5"5, size 12 10stone 10lbs
(edited 8 years ago)
Shouldn't take too long. If you're looking to just lose weight, then take around 500 calories out of your daily calorie in-take per day. For example, if you use to eat 3K a day, turn it down to 2.5K a day.

It's also best to not over train each muscle group; do it in a well and organised way, and have a specific routine in mind so you know what you're training on the days you're in. The main affect that burns more calories is the affect called the 'after-burn affect'. Your body still recovers it-self up to 48 hours after you've worked out (if you've worked out well enough). It's typically best to work out within around 45 minutes to 60 minutes each session; do not train more than this.

I hope I've helped in any way possible. :smile:
I lost about that much in a month. I aimed for 1500calories/ day and weight train 3-4 times a week. Includes 2x30 min HIIT sessions after weights. If you do HIIT properley, you should be completely exhausted after 30 min. If I were you I'd probably start off with 20 min and build up. Don't forget resistance training though, it's really important.
And get a decent sports bra for those banglets x
Reply 4
Original post by Himynameskiefer
Shouldn't take too long. If you're looking to just lose weight, then take around 500 calories out of your daily calorie in-take per day. For example, if you use to eat 3K a day, turn it down to 2.5K a day.

It's also best to not over train each muscle group; do it in a well and organised way, and have a specific routine in mind so you know what you're training on the days you're in. The main affect that burns more calories is the affect called the 'after-burn affect'. Your body still recovers it-self up to 48 hours after you've worked out (if you've worked out well enough). It's typically best to work out within around 45 minutes to 60 minutes each session; do not train more than this.

I hope I've helped in any way possible. :smile:
]

^ All good advice :wink:

To expand on what Kiefer was saying, stuff like spin bikes can provide good aerobic workouts, and of course running. This is probably stating the obvious but aerobic stuff will help you lose weight much faster than resistance based exercises will.

I may be wrong ;P do ask others, but that's my advice at least ^_^

Dan
Original post by Dinnes
]

^ All good advice :wink:

To expand on what Kiefer was saying, stuff like spin bikes can provide good aerobic workouts, and of course running. This is probably stating the obvious but aerobic stuff will help you lose weight much faster than resistance based exercises will.

I may be wrong ;P do ask others, but that's my advice at least ^_^

Dan

Yeah. Resistance training mixed with cardio is the best way to loose weight. I'd suggest eating around 1,500 calories per day, eating high protein, low carb/low fat foods.

A good routine could be something like:

MON: 5-10 minute cardio warm-up. Resistance training; Bicep and back (two-three bicep workouts; 4-5 back workouts).

TUE: 5-10 Cardio warm-up. Then 20-30 minute intense cardio. Then ab training

WED: 5-10 minute cardio warm-up. Resistance Training: Shoulders and legs (4-5 workouts with shoulders, 3 workouts for legs).

THUR: 5-10 minute cardio warm-up, then 20-30 minute intense cardio, then ab training.

FRI: 5-10 Minute cardio warm-up. Resistance Training. Triceps and chest. 3 Tricep workouts, then 4-5 chest workouts.

Rest Saturday and Sunday

But the main thing about losing weight is dieting; it's what you EAT. Simply, to lose weight, you need to be burning more than your consuming, therefore, your body is forced to use any excess fat that is stored in your body. You may also lose some muscle, but mostly it will be fat. The same concept but reversed (obviously) goes for building muscle, you have to eat more than your burning so your body can store it as muscle.

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks everyone :-)

Quick Reply

Latest