The Student Room Group

Manchester A106 Applicants 2013

Poll

What is your UKCAT average?

OFFER holders join this! http://www.facebook.com/groups/115299165308279/
Thought I'd start a thread since they're starting to pop up now.

Manchester is my first choice because I want to do PBL and I love the city. Just hope I get a high enough UKCAT. I know the cut off has been at 650 for years but everybody seems to be doing so well this year do you think it will go up? Also I think the base hospitals are allocated by the university and you don't get a say in it but if you live near one are you most likely to end up there? Because I live really near to Preston, as in I would go to A+E there so am I more likely to end up there?

Manchester are really big on long term voluntary work s I'm wondering what everybody else has done so far. I've done a year in a hospice and a year on MAU.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not sure about u, but I was disappointed after the open day
Original post by Hippokrates
Thought I'd start a thread since they're starting to pop up now.

Manchester is my first choice because I want to do PBL and I love the city. Just hope I get a high enough UKCAT. I know the cut off has been at 650 for years but everybody seems to be doing so well this year do you think it will go up? Also I think the base hospitals are allocated by the university and you don't get a say in it but if you live near one are you most likely to end up there? Because I live really near to Preston, as in I would go to A+E there so am I more likely to end up there?

Manchester are really big on long term voluntary work s I'm wondering what everybody else has done so far. I've done a year in a hospice and a year on MAU.

Would love to apply here (UKCAT permitting), as they have the European Studies option, and I'd really enjoy carrying on with German at uni :biggrin:

Also, why not put up a poll to see what everyone's average UKCAT scores are, make the options something like: <550, 551-575, 576-600, 601-625, 626-650, 651-675, 676-700, 701-725, 726-750, 750< :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by AishaTara
Not sure about u, but I was disappointed after the open day

Why didn't you like it?
Reply 4
Original post by thegodofgod
Would love to apply here (UKCAT permitting), as they have the European Studies option, and I'd really enjoy carrying on with German at uni :biggrin:

Also, why not put up a poll to see what everyone's average UKCAT scores are, make the options something like: <550, 551-575, 576-600, 601-625, 626-650, 651-675, 676-700, 701-725, 726-750, 750< :smile:

I based most of them above 650 because that's the usual cut off. Do you think it will go up this year?
Reply 5
Why didn't you like it?

well i couldnt see the med school or accomodation so I felt that the med school wasnt making an effort
Reply 6
well i couldnt see the med school or accomodation so I felt that the med school wasnt making an effort

Didn't you go to the medicine talk? That was in the medical school. It's very rare to go around the medical school on open days especially at Manchester because they do full body dissection so there's security issues. I know but if it's any consolation Manchester is probably the easiest place in the country to get student accommodation. I talked to a a 2nd year student who hadn't even sorted his out in August. So you'll be able to get accommodation you like. Do you want to do PBL?
Reply 7
Didn't you go to the medicine talk? That was in the medical school. It's very rare to go around the medical school on open days especially at Manchester because they do full body dissection so there's security issues. I know but if it's any consolation Manchester is probably the easiest place in the country to get student accommodation. I talked to a a 2nd year student who hadn't even sorted his out in August. So you'll be able to get accommodation you like. Do you want to do PBL?

Oh no I didn't go on the days offered with medicine talks as I was on a school trip so maybe thats why
yes defo PBL even though its more work :tongue:
I based most of them above 650 because that's the usual cut off. Do you think it will go up this year?

Okay :smile:

Well, I hope it doesn't but like the cost of things, it seems to increase year on year, so I think it might go up to around 670-680 :frown:
Reply 9
Oh no I didn't go on the days offered with medicine talks as I was on a school trip so maybe thats why
yes defo PBL even though its more work :tongue:

I really want to do PBL too. I'm thinking Liverpool and UEA also but I don't really know where to apply anymore, hopefully when I do the UKCAT everything will sort itself out.
Reply 10
Original post by thegodofgod
Okay :smile:

Well, I hope it doesn't but like the cost of things, it seems to increase year on year, so I think it might go up to around 670-680 :frown:

I thought Manchester had been at 650 for years? I do think it will increase though everybody seems to be doing awesome this year.
As an offer holder, if anyone has any questions about the interview or anything else I'll try to help if I can. Still don't know if I've got the grades to go there yet though :erm:
I really want to do PBL too. I'm thinking Liverpool and UEA also but I don't really know where to apply anymore, hopefully when I do the UKCAT everything will sort itself out.

ue is a nice one, liverpool ive heard not so good things about so changed my mind it

Kings, oh and keele does!!
Original post by Normandy114
As an offer holder, if anyone has any questions about the interview or anything else I'll try to help if I can. Still don't know if I've got the grades to go there yet though :erm:

yes please! congrats on the offer btw! Whats the format of the interview? Also, I know its an integrated course, but can you give me more details about the teaching, as I find the website pretty vague. I really love the variety they offer!
Also how do you think being a massive med school will affect a person?

I thought Manchester had been at 650 for years? I do think it will increase though everybody seems to be doing awesome this year.

Tbh, it may even go down dramatically - didn't Sheffield's cut-off decrease down to something like 650 from 720 for A100 2012 entry? :colondollar:
Reply 15
I thought that Manchester didn't have a set cut-off score for the ukcat. It depends on you're educational and demographic background.... right? :s-smilie:
yes please! congrats on the offer btw! Whats the format of the interview? Also, I know its an integrated course, but can you give me more details about the teaching, as I find the website pretty vague. I really love the variety they offer!
Also how do you think being a massive med school will affect a person?

The interview is very unique among UK medical schools, the first half is a group discussion with 8 other applicants discussing a medical case. You'll all go into the interview room, sit around a table with three interviewers observing you and giving instructions. You all get a sheet with a medical scenario on it, and between you and the group within the time you need to go through the points and come to a conclusion about it, weighing up pros and cons and being able to make an informed and agreed upon decision as a team.

After that you all go back out the waiting room, then enter in groups of 3 at a time for the individual interviews. You'll have three, 8 minute interviews which are one on one with the interviewer. One station will be for reflection on the group task, one station will be about your personal statement, and the third is about an ethical scenario. The PS station will have a copy of your personal statement so will draw upon parts of it to question you on.

As for the course, I'm not 100% on the details since I'm not there so you'd be better off asking someone else who is. There's a lot of PBL in the Manchester University course, and it's supplemented by other teaching methods too such as lectures, clinical learning and dissections as well. There's also things like the Personal Excellence Path for developing research skills and looking into topics of your own choosing.

And about large medical schools, I don't think it's really that important. It's a massive university in a big city so there's always going to be something that interests you if you want to get involved.

Also a quick point about the title, there is no Manchester A100 course :wink:; for some strange reason it's actually A106, not sure why.
The interview is very unique among UK medical schools, the first half is a group discussion with 8 other applicants discussing a medical case. You'll all go into the interview room, sit around a table with three interviewers observing you and giving instructions. You all get a sheet with a medical scenario on it, and between you and the group within the time you need to go through the points and come to a conclusion about it, weighing up pros and cons and being able to make an informed and agreed upon decision as a team.

After that you all go back out the waiting room, then enter in groups of 3 at a time for the individual interviews. You'll have three, 8 minute interviews which are one on one with the interviewer. One station will be for reflection on the group task, one station will be about your personal statement, and the third is about an ethical scenario. The PS station will have a copy of your personal statement so will draw upon parts of it to question you on.

As for the course, I'm not 100% on the details since I'm not there so you'd be better off asking someone else who is. There's a lot of PBL in the Manchester University course, and it's supplemented by other teaching methods too such as lectures, clinical learning and dissections as well. There's also things like the Personal Excellence Path for developing research skills and looking into topics of your own choosing.

And about large medical schools, I don't think it's really that important. It's a massive university in a big city so there's always going to be something that interests you if you want to get involved.

Also a quick point about the title, there is no Manchester A100 course :wink:; for some strange reason it's actually A106, not sure why.

THANK YOU! this has been so helpful! Ah it wasnt me who created the thread, but its a bad thing I didn't notice the error :P thanks again!
Reply 18

Thank you for the advice and correction, guess i never even thought of checking. How did you find the group task?
Reply 19
Original post by Topcat94
I thought that Manchester didn't have a set cut-off score for the ukcat. It depends on you're educational and demographic background.... right? :s-smilie:

They have a set cut off. It just doesn't really matter if your're in the access programme. They mark you application and then the satisfactory ones are ranked by the UKCAT and they invite around the top 900 to interview I think. That number rings a bell anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending