The Student Room Group

ESSEX or Warwick??? MSc Economics!

Hi everybody!

Im an international applicant for MSc Economics.

At the moment I have offers from Warwick, Essex, Edinburgh and Nottingham.

Warwick is pretty expensive...so I was wondering..is Essex really not that good compared to warwick?
Warwick is highly renowned for it's Economics and is a target Uni for lost of companies, particularly City ones.
It goes like this:

Warwick
Nottingham
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Essex
Reply 3
What is your future goal? Are you doing an MSc simply to go into banking or do you want to pursue academia?

IF you want to do a PhD after your MSc, then Essex is an excellent university to go for. Their MSc programme is technically rigorous, they have a very good reputation, and their PhD has a strong reputation too within academic circles.

The large banks don't care much for Essex graduates, but that's of little importance if you want to become an academic, since PhD graduates from Essex are highly respected.
Reply 4
I do want to pursue academia...not interested in banking at all!
My aim is to apply for PhD in a good university in the USA. But I dont know how reputed Essex is outside UK...

Does anyone have any idea?
Reply 5
Well, for Phd purposes the things you should see are: potential recommenders and how specialized is Essex in the field you would like to focus in your Phd.
You want to have ideally professors that studied in US, better yet if they went to a top department. Moreover, for example if you want to specialize in financial economics during your Phd, then Warwick would be a better alternative to Essex.
I hope you understand my points of view.

Regards
Reply 6
Thanks Econla....i did understand your points of view....they were very helpful.

Ive chosen to go to Warwick. Regarding the expenses, I guess I'll just have to grin and bear them.
Reply 7
Original post by Patra101
Ive chosen to go to Warwick. Regarding the expenses, I guess I'll just have to grin and bear them.

Best of luck, I'm sure you won't regret it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending