Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why is Islam so misunderstood?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Now, I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this and get negged, but what I really want to know is why does the general public have the wrong concept of Islam? Why does this not happen with other religions?

Okay so the basic concept people have of Islam is that it is a religion of war, cruelty and unjust laws when it is in fact a religon of peace. People automatically link terrorism with Islam and the media plays a major role in pointing the finger of blame at Muslims. Although I do understand that there are some Muslim extremists, I do not believe that the entire nation of Muslims should be blamed or labelled for their actions. These people are a MINORITY, most Muslims lead an ordinary life just like you and me.

Every now and then you hear of a muder case on TV and many times it is the act of a non-Muslim; sometimes they are foreign, someties not. But you don't see people verbally attacking their country or their religion.

You talk about oppression. You say Muslim women are oppressed. I say wearing modest clothes and covering up your hair is anything BUT oppression (in fact a teacher once said to me that he respects me for wearing the hijab to school). It shows a sign of your faith and it shows how strong enough you are to go out and wear it in today's society in a non-Muslim country.

I am not fighting or trying to cause an argument, just a general discussion. I am just sick of seeing people constsantly attacking Islam without knowing what it truely is, people need to do research in the right places.

Peace
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Media amplification.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontJudge)
    Media amplification.
    That is one of the biggest reasons I believe.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameera95)
    That is one of the biggest reasons I believe.
    If you look at the Mods and Rockers situation. You'd find how it started off to be a harmless rift between two social groups. The media then spiralled this beef out of control making it out to be gang rivalry, and that is exactly how the groups acted as a result.

The people who do not know much about Islam, base their veiws on what they see on the TV.
    • 69 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's in a different language i'n't it
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Now, I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this and get negged, but what I really want to know is why does the general public have the wrong concept of Islam? Why does this not happen with other religions?

Okay so the basic concept people have of Islam is that it is a religion of war, cruelty and unjust laws when it is in fact a religon of peace. People automatically link terrorism with Islam and the media plays a major role in pointing the finger of blame at Muslims. Although I do understand that there are some Muslim extremists, I do not believe that the entire nation of Muslims should be blamed or labelled for their actions. These people are a MINORITY, most Muslims lead an ordinary life just like you and me.

Every now and then you hear of a muder case on TV and many times it is the act of a non-Muslim; sometimes they are foreign, someties not. But you don't see people verbally attacking their country or their religion.

You talk about oppression. You say Muslim women are oppressed. I say wearing modest clothes and covering up your hair is anything BUT oppression (in fact a teacher once said to me that he respects me for wearing the hijab to school). It shows a sign of your faith and it shows how strong enough you are to go out and wear it in today's society in a non-Muslim country.

I am not fighting or trying to cause an argument, just a general discussion. I am just sick of seeing people constsantly attacking Islam without knowing what it truely is, people need to do research in the right places.

Peace

I think it is misunderstood because all the negative media coverage seems to be about Muslims - they blew up the twin towers; they execute women for just being women; they mistreat women etc. There is a large section of society that equates this behaviour with all of Islam. I know that the Muslims that do this sort of thing are rogues and go against the tenets of Islam. How do I know this - because I work with lots of Muslims and they are horrified about this sort of behaviour. I have lived in the Middle East and seen how respectful the locals are to all around. The place is clean, there are no drunks or obvious drugs and people are respectfully dressed. Here in this country we could learn a lot from them. However, I do think that there needs to be more Muslims standing up and speaking out against the Madrassas; the grooming of young people into terror and encouraging more integration. I also believe that the UK needs to stop pandering to political correctness. Last Christmas was a case in point - celebrated in my place of work by Hindus; Christians and Muslims as well as the usual atheists. Ramadan is quietly welcomed as well - we respect the need to not flaunt food and drink in front of a fasting Muslim.
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's going to be misunderstood insofar as the sources where people learn about it are biased. If your only knowledge of Islam comes from the Daily Mail then of course you're going to have a much poorer understanding of it than if you read the Qu'ran or books on Muslim culture. However, in order to determine whether forcing a lady to wear a hijab to protect her 'modesty' is oppression or not, you need more than just an understanding of Islam.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rocket0612)
    I really don't think so.
    http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.co.uk/.../label/muslims
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The view of Islam that you claim is a misunderstanding is the view of Islam promoted by the most vocal, influential, and numerous Muslims. If you disagree with that vision of it, your problem is with them, but it doesn't make any sense to criticise non-Muslims for accepting as accurate the version of Islam that is constantly presented to us by Muslims both in the UK and worldwide.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Media

... and asking the wrong people for info.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Because some of you bombed people. Thats why

Negged for the truth? Are you people in like, denial or something?

Peace
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    The media and the Quran.

The media amplifies the radical Muslims which make it seem like they're the majority when they really aren't. That doesn't help because it means people think they know a lot about Islam when really, they've just read a few news articles.

The Quran itself, in my opinion, furthers confusion too. It's unlike the bible where you can just read it and make sense of it. But the Quran is in Arabic and when reading it in English you always seem to hear the.shouts of 'that isn't the true Quran!' which is really tiring. No one is going to learn a whole new language just to read a book. Secondly, the way the verses are ordered don't make it simple context wise. Especially with the deal of abrogation (i think It's the fact that the later verses correct earlier ones) but it isn't ordered in chronological order (however, you can find it ordered like that). The useless 'miraculous claims' don't help anyone either.

Another thing that probably contributes to it is the fact that it isn't really taught in schools here as the religious curriculum is focused on Christianity. So lack of exposure in that sense is a problem.

But one thing I'm not sure about is why 'the religion of peace' is always said with Islam. I think It's an unnecessary addition. All main religions promote peace in one form or another.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    What makes you think we are incapable of picking up the Quaran and coming to the correct conclusions; That it is a false religion, spread by somebody for power and prestige? You aren't in a position to judge accurately because you have almost certainly been brainwashed from birth. Where are all the other terrorists from other religions? Sure there are some, but almost all the religious terrorism in the world is commited by Muslims, even though there are twice as many Christians. Why is that, if your religion is so peaceful?

Saying Islam is the religion of peace honestly makes me belly laugh. Your so called prophet went from one end of Arabia to the other fighting people to take over their land and make them submit to his cult. He made up excuses as to why he did this, apparently he took the whole place over because he was attacked first. Do you think that's likely? I don't... I also think the stories of him marrying children and brutally murdering every man in certain tribes help your cause either.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish)
    The view of Islam that you claim is a misunderstanding is the view of Islam promoted by the most vocal, influential, and numerous Muslims. If you disagree with that vision of it, your problem is with them, but it doesn't make any sense to criticise non-Muslims for accepting as accurate the version of Islam that is constantly presented to us by Muslims both in the UK and worldwide.
    Because I've never seen the Muslim's of the world following the likes Osama, and that lot.
    It does make sense to criticise, as they aren't accurate version of Islam, considering that the basis of which many people portray Islam is through those who commit atrocities which many media outlets like DM always relate back to Islam and Muslims as a whole, when it's a minority.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseveranze)
    x
    Intellectually-vacuous whining: "Waaah! Massacres with a politico-religious motivation are called terrorism, and those without one are not! Waaah!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What needs to be understood is that Islam has some really good principals and teachings, but also some that are damaging, just like Christianity. If you were to point out that the Christian crusades were violent and extreme, you would be right. The crusaders believed in the Bible's literal written texts and followed them to an extreme. No one can deny the violence, and violent messages in the Old Testament. Similarly, there are numerous violent passages in the Qur’an. The Qur’an is very vague to begin with and can lead to misinterpretation of these violent passages. This is why there are Muslim extremists. The source of their religious beliefs contains violent messages. This leads to the misunderstanding of Islam.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    It's in a different language i'n't it
    The Qur'an? I'm pretty sure you can get an English version along with the translation
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flash7)
    What needs to be understood is that Islam has some really good principals and teachings, but also some that are damaging, just like Christianity. If you were to point out that the Christian crusades were violent and extreme, you would be right. The crusaders believed in the Bible's literal written texts and followed them to an extreme. No one can deny the violence, and violent messages in the Old Testament. Similarly, there are numerous violent passages in the Qur’an. The Qur’an is very vague to begin with and can lead to misinterpretation of these violent passages. This is why there are Muslim extremists. The source of their religious beliefs contains violent messages. This leads to the misunderstanding of Islam.
    That's cos people never read it in context, the war bits were about when the Muslims were persecuted, where it gave the permission to stop defending and attack them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    I think it is misunderstood because all the negative media coverage seems to be about Muslims - they blew up the twin towers; they execute women for just being women; they mistreat women etc. There is a large section of society that equates this behaviour with all of Islam. I know that the Muslims that do this sort of thing are rogues and go against the tenets of Islam. How do I know this - because I work with lots of Muslims and they are horrified about this sort of behaviour. I have lived in the Middle East and seen how respectful the locals are to all around. The place is clean, there are no drunks or obvious drugs and people are respectfully dressed. Here in this country we could learn a lot from them. However, I do think that there needs to be more Muslims standing up and speaking out against the Madrassas; the grooming of young people into terror and encouraging more integration. I also believe that the UK needs to stop pandering to political correctness. Last Christmas was a case in point - celebrated in my place of work by Hindus; Christians and Muslims as well as the usual atheists. Ramadan is quietly welcomed as well - we respect the need to not flaunt food and drink in front of a fasting Muslim.
    Thank you! This world needs more people like you, they need to see us for who we truelly are. Just normal people with normal lives
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flash7)
    Interesting point about the crusades that everyone seems to overlook:

They were fought to push back an expanding Islamic empire that was encroaching on Europe, using violence. They called their version of the crusades Jihad. It was started by Mohammed, and it never stopped.
Updated: August 28, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.