Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is Islam so misunderstood?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Terrorism is made by western governments to allow them to continue the war and oppress people in the name of "security".
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameera95)
    Now, I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this and get negged, but what I really want to know is why does the general public have the wrong concept of Islam? Why does this not happen with other religions?

Okay so the basic concept people have of Islam is that it is a religion of war, cruelty and unjust laws when it is in fact a religon of peace. People automatically link terrorism with Islam and the media plays a major role in pointing the finger of blame at Muslims. Although I do understand that there are some Muslim extremists, I do not believe that the entire nation of Muslims should be blamed or labelled for their actions. These people are a MINORITY, most Muslims lead an ordinary life just like you and me.

Every now and then you hear of a muder case on TV and many times it is the act of a non-Muslim; sometimes they are foreign, someties not. But you don't see people verbally attacking their country or their religion.

You talk about oppression. You say Muslim women are oppressed. I say wearing modest clothes and covering up your hair is anything BUT oppression (in fact a teacher once said to me that he respects me for wearing the hijab to school). It shows a sign of your faith and it shows how strong enough you are to go out and wear it in today's society in a non-Muslim country.

I am not fighting or trying to cause an argument, just a general discussion. I am just sick of seeing people constsantly attacking Islam without knowing what it truely is, people need to do research in the right places.

Peace

It is an unfortunate fact that this religion of peace spread by the sword, as far east as Indonesia. What happened to the religions of the people in muslim lands that existed before Mohammed?. What happened to Christians living in muslim lands. They are mostly gone. What happened to jews who lived in muslim lands since 1492, and in Egypt, and in Bagdad, for thousands of years. Again, mostly gone.

And it appears to many that peaceful Muslims are very silent about acts of terrorism.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    Ok and now you need to stand up for the true side of Islam - the peaceable side - I am assuming from your post name that you are16/17 years of age. You have the youth to change perceptions.
    Thank you, finally someone who understands and yea I am 16
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Now, I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this and get negged, but what I really want to know is why does the general public have the wrong concept of Islam? Why does this not happen with other religions?

Okay so the basic concept people have of Islam is that it is a religion of war, cruelty and unjust laws when it is in fact a religon of peace. People automatically link terrorism with Islam and the media plays a major role in pointing the finger of blame at Muslims. Although I do understand that there are some Muslim extremists, I do not believe that the entire nation of Muslims should be blamed or labelled for their actions. These people are a MINORITY, most Muslims lead an ordinary life just like you and me.

Every now and then you hear of a muder case on TV and many times it is the act of a non-Muslim; sometimes they are foreign, someties not. But you don't see people verbally attacking their country or their religion.

You talk about oppression. You say Muslim women are oppressed. I say wearing modest clothes and covering up your hair is anything BUT oppression (in fact a teacher once said to me that he respects me for wearing the hijab to school). It shows a sign of your faith and it shows how strong enough you are to go out and wear it in today's society in a non-Muslim country.

I am not fighting or trying to cause an argument, just a general discussion. I am just sick of seeing people constsantly attacking Islam without knowing what it truely is, people need to do research in the right places.

Peace

As a Muslim, i sympathise with your position, but I fear you have fallen into the same trap as a lot of other well-intentioned muslims on TSR.

Sure, I agree a lot of people attack Islam through misconceptions- things like 'all terrorism is caused by islam' or 'Islam has barbaric laws' or 'Islam is opressive to women' are very unhelpful comments which do little to induce a lively debate, nor actually tackle the key issues. I also agree that there are a lot of very peaceful Muslims that thankfully make up the majority.

But the issues with Islam, in my opinion, are much more deeply rooted. A lot of Muslims themselves don't really understand Islam either- in that they haven't read Islamic philosophical texts, they haven't really studied the History of Islam in depth, and a lot are very much willing to accept whatever the charismatic Imam they are listening to says- regardless of where the information they got it from was. As such, how can Muslims actually present a coherent notion of Islam without actually understanding what the texts imply?

But secondly, I also feel that many scholars, or even believers, are very much reluctant to engage with the outside world, or to accept that as with all religion, a degree of modernisation and adaptation is necessary for survival, and in itself, a necessary evil. These combined, often create an insulated Islamic community, and give ample opportunity for men like Anjem Choudhary or other reactionary fake scholars to be given an unprecedented level of media coverage in comparison to people that actually know their stuff.

So its a bit of a double edged sword imo.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    It's in a different language i'n't it
    :rofl:

And @ OP: You seem to be misunderstanding Islam too by equating Islam (a religion) with Muslims (adherents of Islam). Islam =/= Muslims.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    See now the problem here is I AM trying to promote the good side of Islam but people like you just don't see it do they? Put yourself in my shoes. Would you like it i somebody came up to you and asked you 'do your people bomb our people?'. The majority of Muslims are NOT like that, but people just tend to see what's in the media and not what's around them in everyday life. There are a lot of Muslims in many communities, maybe if you befriended one you'll actually realise how NORMAL and NICE we really are.

People like YOU are exactly what Im talking about - why dont YOU befriend non muslims if you care so much about what they think??? Stop expecting everyone else to make the effort. And actually, I would completely understand if someone asked me that question if I was a muslim cause, honestly muslims HAVE bombed us. Stop with the denial
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConstantlyStressed)
    Er...what? Those extremists who bombed others are in no way shape or form similar to Muslims..speaking as a non-Muslim, I know enough to deduce that one can't simply generalize the wrong actions of people to others just because they all happen to be Muslims. Islam is a religion of peace, it's the extremists and the media which taint that idea.
    I didnt say it was the correct opinion. But it is why people dont like the religion
    • 10 followers

(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    I have lived in the Middle East and seen how respectful the locals are to all around. The place is clean, there are no drunks or obvious drugs and people are respectfully dressed. Here in this country we could learn a lot from them.
    There are no openly gay people and few openly atheist nationals as well. So perhaps you should edit "how respectful the locals are to all around" and change it to "how respectful the locals are to all around (excluding gays and atheists and numerous other oppressed groups)"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom_X)
    As a Muslim, i sympathise with your position, but I fear you have fallen into the same trap as a lot of other well-intentioned muslims on TSR.

Sure, I agree a lot of people attack Islam through misconceptions- things like 'all terrorism is caused by islam' or 'Islam has barbaric laws' or 'Islam is opressive to women' are very unhelpful comments which do little to induce a lively debate, nor actually tackle the key issues. I also agree that there are a lot of very peaceful Muslims that thankfully make up the majority.

But the issues with Islam, in my opinion, are much more deeply rooted. A lot of Muslims themselves don't really understand Islam either- in that they haven't read Islamic philosophical texts, they haven't really studied the History of Islam in depth, and a lot are very much willing to accept whatever the charismatic Imam they are listening to says- regardless of where the information they got it from was. As such, how can Muslims actually present a coherent notion of Islam without actually understanding what the texts imply?

But secondly, I also feel that many scholars, or even believers, are very much reluctant to engage with the outside world, or to accept that as with all religion, a degree of modernisation and adaptation is necessary for survival, and in itself, a necessary evil. These combined, often create an insulated Islamic community, and give ample opportunity for men like Anjem Choudhary or other reactionary fake scholars to be given an unprecedented level of media coverage in comparison to people that actually know their stuff.

So its a bit of a double edged sword imo.
    I agree with a lot of what you say. But, don't you think that a big problem lies in the fact that Philosophies inside Islam are largely fragmented, and the beliefs therein are nearly as diverse as any other belief system-something few Muslims I've met would admit to. Most have the sentiment that what we believe is correct, it is the correct way, is completely "coherent", and that every other belief (within Islam) is wrong. So when other people judge Islam, they don't see the diverse range of beliefs behind it, they also immediately believe that there is a "right" and a wrong "Islam". There is no debate in Islam...there is simple we are right and you are wrong. This is precisely what is wrong. For this Muslims are largely to blame for the views other people hold of them.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Florrick)
    Please stop this whimpering. It does nothing conducive. This isn't going to stop as evidenced by the thousands of threads about how Islam is being unfairly criticised left right and centre. For one fact, this sort of weak attitude causes the floodgates of abuse to open, strengthen and helps to legitimise the opponent's argument that there is something in Islam to worry about.

Look, I have nothing to worry about. Has Islam gone? No. Have Muslims grown weaker in their faith? No. Has the animosity won victory for illegal wars in majority Muslim countries? No.
    OP you should really take heed of this. It's one of the only posts in this thread worth reading to be honest.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    There are no openly gay people and few openly atheist nationals as well. So perhaps you should edit "how respectful the locals are to all around" and change it to "how respectful the locals are to all around (excluding gays and atheists and numerous other oppressed groups)"
    Can I ask who that person in your avatar is? He seems very familiar.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilahnurave)
    People like YOU are exactly what Im talking about - why dont YOU befriend non muslims if you care so much about what they think??? Stop expecting everyone else to make the effort. And actually, I would completely understand if someone asked me that question if I was a muslim cause, honestly muslims HAVE bombed us. Stop with the denial
    Lol,I do happen to have non-muslim friends and muslim friends, just so that you know. I presume you have non-muslim friends but do you have any muslim friends? Yes I know some muslims have bombed you, but those are the extremists and they are a MINORITY. It's against Islam to blindly attack people. It's just people prejudice against muslims and consider them ALL to be terrorists, that's why a question like that offends me - especially since I never did anything to them in the first place and I am not responsible for the acts of any extremist muslims.

I'm sorry if I came across as mean before btw, but people do need to think about the way they confront people when giving their opinion
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    Don't agree with you there - I saw several openly gay people - and I was quite shocked because I thought they wouldn't be tolerated. But there are gay clubs and bars too. I am not talking Saudi here admittedly - rather Dubai and AbuDhabi and Bahrain. Have you been there?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freier._.lance)
    Can I ask who that person in your avatar is? He seems very familiar.
    It's Arthur Rimbaud http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Rimbaud
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The question you should be asking is why are muslims in constatnt denial about their faith?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do understand. I just don't understand why the 'proper' view of it isn't promoted as much for people to see.
    That's really something for Muslims to sort out. Non-Muslims' view of Islam merely reflects the Islam shown to us by Muslims, and it's not a pretty picture. If you want non-Muslims to think better of Islam, you first have to change what Muslims think Islam is, because it's first and foremost Muslims who have given Islam its image as a religion of hate, violence, and oppression. Non-Muslims can work to build bridges with and recognise progressive Muslims such as those with BMSD or Quilliam, or individuals such as Usama Hasan, but we also have to be realistic and recognise that those are hated and persecuted minority voices within a mostly-extremist Islamic community.

Edit: Indeed, if we do try to recognize and work with non-extremist Muslims, we are criticised on the basis that they are not legitimate representatives of the Islamic community.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most the criticism Islam gets is justified. A religion of peace? Go to the middle east and the punishment for apostasy is death. Even in Britain there have been numerous cases of children beaten or killed when they go against their parents’ wishes in favour of a more typical British culture.

The hijab is an absolute icon of how oppressed women are in the Islamic faith. You can kid yourself that it is freedom but for many girls they don’t have a choice. I’ve seen muslim men strolling around the swimming pool in Egypt wearing swim shorts whilst their wives almost burn alive wearing a ridiculous swimming costumer that covers up their whole body. I feel sorry that they have deceived you into thinking your rights are equal, because they are not. Islam oppresses women and it’s obvious to anyone without any bias.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Florrick)
    If we started using Tibet as a benchmark for how to behave, it would make most parts of the world, "uniquely dangerous at fostering a truly aggressive streak that can easily lead to violence". That's what happens when you use rare exceptions to extrapolate and identify ''violence''.

There's little point denying there is element of self-defence in Islam when it comes to oppression, hence why Israel isn't going to be victorious anytime soon over Palestinians. This doesn't mean Islam or I agree with terrorist tactics employed. Just because those in Tibet choose not to fight back doesn't make them any more angelic.
    Well I think that there is some objectionable standard for legitimate defense against oppression, namely self-immolation being more respectable and honourable than suicide bomb attacks aimed at civilians and children.

In my view we could all take lessons from how the Tibetans have attempted to sustain their culture and way of life under Chinese oppression -without resorting to cynical and murderous terrorist acts. But that's probably a different argument for a different thread.

Nevertheless, my original point was that the Koran can be more easily used to justify violent acts than for example Buddhist teachings allow. However I would also expand my metaphor to cover most other religions (especially all of the major ones). Therefore Islam does seem uniquely placed to justify aggressive acts.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    But as a girl I would rather wear something modest than have guys staring me up and down in the street.
    Maybe you need to take a look at this video.

The student who made this video is just a regular belgium lady, but look at the abuse she gets from muslim immigrants as she is walking down the street.

"RITS student Sofie Peeters has made her thesis about sexism in the streets of Brussels. The documentary shows how, whenever they came out, was solicited or allowed to persist, mainly by immigrants.

Sexual harassment in Belgium video. [SHOCKING VIDEO] http://blazingcatfur.blogspot.com.au...we-cannot.html

The reason why muslims women cover themselves is to avoid abuse from muslim men.

The video shows how they treat non islamically dressed women. It doesnt take too much imagination to recognize what would happen to a muslim woman if she decided that today she chooses to wear something different.

This is why i find it hard to respect people who venerate islam. Every single one of them without exception is a true hypocrite.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    To answer the OP's question it's because (and i have experienced this first hand) north american governments create false images of Islam to their people. They use this as justification to break international laws and invade all the countries they want to. Walk around most of America or Canada and you notice an extreme ignorance for any other culture. At my Canadian school (which had a high Jewish population) they all had the idea that every Palestinian was a terrorist, and that Israel was an innocent victim.
Updated: August 28, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.