The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yung Mon£y
Where's your proof it's to do with nurture?

I suggest you look at the latest research on attachment and brain development. I linked to a summary earlier in the thread. Also look some recent work on the neuroscience of emotion. Joseph le Doux and Antonio Damasio are both worth reading, or you could try Daniel Goleman.

And your definition doesn't mean that a person will go out and murder someone. For fun.

Indeed, these things are not deterministic in such a simple way. It does however, make it more likely.

Also if the guy is that mentally ill, is it not cruel to lock him up? If he was a dog, you'd put him out of his misery. Why is it better to lock him up? It helps no one.

Which is why I'm arguing for psychiatric treatment as a possibility.
Original post by Kibalchich
I suggest you look at the latest research on attachment and brain development. I linked to a summary earlier in the thread. Also look some recent work on the neuroscience of emotion. Joseph le Doux and Antonio Damasio are both worth reading, or you could try Daniel Goleman.

Indeed, these things are not deterministic in such a simple way. It does however, make it more likely.

Which is why I'm arguing for psychiatric treatment as a possibility.

So you have no hard evidence. You are at best trying to pass theories off as fact. Good one lad.

If he is emotionally damaged with the signs of psychopathy then the lower part of his brain is, frankly, ****ed, and there is nothing that can be done to help him. Put him out of his misery; he's a danger to everyone. How is it better to lock him up where he is wasting money instead of putting him out of his misery?
Original post by simonbellringer
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9431941/Kiaran-Stapleton-jailed-for-30-years-for-murdering-student.html

This report sickens me. Not only for the murder - that in itself is bad enough - but the manner and the guy's reactions.

To LAUGH while being fully aware of what he had done was bad enough
To get that tear-shaped tattoo was as bad.
To pick the guy out for having the biggest head too.....

Why does society have to live and suffer with such utter scum? And now we have to keep him for the next 30 years at the taxpayers expense.

Personally I would have him suffer the death penalty (though there are many arguments for and against this) but the question is: he has a 30 year minimum jail sentence - is this too leniant?

I say definitely and I hope he dies in prison. All the better if some fellow inmates batter him to death for such an atrocity.

The sentance is harsh given the crime and our usual sentances, but then again it was a white on brown offence so harsher penalties would be given

the guy is sick and of course the poor man he killed i hope he rests in peace, i felt awful for his parents on the news

as i said though, this sentance is not lenient at all what with our system, its actually pretty hefty

the crime was not that brutal (it wasnt, iv heard of more brutal and disgusting crimes)- the guy had a quick death

but the sentance is still massive compared to similar cases of murder

not forgetting this despicable crime is male on male, two young men yet still the killer gets longer than people who have murdered women (Sophie Lancaster?) in a more brutal way

nonetheless, the guys a sick bastard and hopefully rots for his sentance, RIP to the victim ( i cant remember his name)
So you have no hard evidence. You are at best trying to pass theories off as fact. Good one lad.

Have you looked at the link I posted earlier?

If he is emotionally damaged with the signs of psychopathy then the lower part of his brain is, frankly, ****ed, and there is nothing that can be done to help him. Put him out of his misery; he's a danger to everyone. How is it better to lock him up where he is wasting money instead of putting him out of his misery?

Anti-social pd, not psychopathy. What is your expertise in treatment options? Are you aware of the NICE guidelines, for example?
Have you looked at the link I posted earlier?

Anti-social pd, not psychopathy. What is your expertise in treatment options? Are you aware of the NICE guidelines, for example?

Question time kid: what is the point in not killing this remorseless scum bag? Give me one good reason I should pay to keep him alive.
(edited 11 years ago)
Question time kid: what is the point in not killing this remorseless ass-hole? Give me one good reason I should pay to keep him alive.

Kid? lol :biggrin: I'm likely old enough to be your dad btw.

Because he's a human being.
Question time kid: what is the point in not killing this remorseless ass-hole? Give me one good reason I should pay to keep him alive.

This is a daily mail pitch fork answer, and cannot be taken seriously

you want to execute this guy, I hope you are ready to line up 1000s more who as I explained about have committed similar and often much more brutal crimes

there are reasons we dont execute here, you dont like it? Move somewhere else where DP applies, it will not be in the peaceful EU and you'll have loads of fun loving places to choose from like iran, the US, KSA, i could go on
Kid? lol :biggrin: I'm likely old enough to be your dad btw.

Because he's a human being.

Then why are you on a student forum, using "lol" and smilies?
That's ****ing creepy.

So what if he is human? Humans are capable of terrible things didn't you know? If an animal attacks a person, it is put down, and the animal doesn't even fully comprehend what it is doing. In this case the guy knew exactly what he was doing, and yet we are treating him as if he is less culpable then a dog. Give me a reason which isn't as weak as ****ing string.
Original post by badcheesecrispy
This is a daily mail pitch fork answer, and cannot be taken seriously

you want to execute this guy, I hope you are ready to line up 1000s more who as I explained about have committed similar and often much more brutal crimes

there are reasons we dont execute here, you dont like it? Move somewhere else where DP applies, it will not be in the peaceful EU and you'll have loads of fun loving places to choose from like iran, the US, KSA, i could go on

Sounds good to me.
How "peaceful" is the EU if someone feels that the punishment for shooting someone in the head on a street in the UK does not outweigh the kick from the killing? You're living in a state of denial bro.
That's ****ing creepy.

So what if he is human? Humans are capable of terrible things didn't you know? If an animal attacks a person, it is put down, and the animal doesn't even fully comprehend what it is doing. In this case the guy knew exactly what he was doing, and yet we are treating him as if he is less culpable then a dog. Give me a reason which isn't as weak as ****ing string.

why are you arguing for this guys death but not every other murderer? or do you think its more serious as its white on brown? Thats the only way I can come to terms with the huge stint hes received by our UK standards

you dont have to be young to be a student, many students are 50+, id refrain from making ageist personal remarks against FMs, it doesnt help your case

the reason is because it will not and cannot happen in this country, it doesnt work to deter crime and 'you'd' be paying more out if he was to die

it costs the us more to kill someone than it does to keep them jailed for life

seriously, what other reasons do you need?
Reply 190
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9431941/Kiaran-Stapleton-jailed-for-30-years-for-murdering-student.html

This report sickens me. Not only for the murder - that in itself is bad enough - but the manner and the guy's reactions.

Why does society have to live and suffer with such utter scum? And now we have to keep him for the next 30 years at the taxpayers expense.

Personally I would have him suffer the death penalty (though there are many arguments for and against this) but the question is: he has a 30 year minimum jail sentence - is this too leniant?

I say definitely and I hope he dies in prison. All the better if some fellow inmates batter him to death for such an atrocity.

I do not think he should be given the death penalty. He will not suffer exactly! Make him work like a dog for those 30 years while he is in prison!

That is suffering! Working non stop from 6am till midnight with some breaks for food.
Sounds good to me.
How "peaceful" is the EU if someone feels that the punishment for shooting someone in the head on a street in the UK does not outweigh the kick from the killing? You're living in a state of denial bro.

but the guy has been jailed for 30 years, or did you miss that fact?

He got about 10 years longer than a LOT of murderers get

he got a harsh sentence by UK standards

see my last post about the DP, and why it isnt desirable for the UK or the EU

of course i think this guy is scum but logically the crime was committed in the UK, by a UK citizen so he will be tried and sentenced here

i see people complaining about terrorists being extradicted to the US to face harsher penalties, why is this when the same folk are complaining when the murderer has received a massive uk sentance and not the dp which doesnt exist here?
Reply 192

More blood I guess:tongue:
That's ****ing creepy.

I'm a student. Web abbreviations and smilies were not invented yesterday y'know, they've been around since at least the 1990s, when I first started using the net.

Yes, humans are capable of terrible things, who is denying that? I have given you reasons, plenty of them. If you'd like to construct a coherent argument against them, that'd be just dandy.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm a student. Web abbreviations and smilies were not invented yesterday y'know, they've been around since at least the 1990s, when I first started using the net.

Yes, humans are capable of terrible things, who is denying that? I have given you reasons, plenty of them. If you'd like to construct a coherent argument against them, that'd be just dandy.

Still creepy. Very creepy.

It's cheaper to execute someone then keep them locked up doing nothing for 30+ years. You are letting some abstract moral reason cloud what is a very obvious, logical choice.
Still creepy. Very creepy.

A student posting on a student forum! Call the cops!

It's cheaper to execute someone then keep them locked up doing nothing for 30+ years. You are letting some abstract moral reason cloud what is a very obvious, logical choice.

If you think money is more important than human beings, then there's nothing more I can say really.
Original post by badcheesecrispy
but the guy has been jailed for 30 years, or did you miss that fact?

He got about 10 years longer than a LOT of murderers get

he got a harsh sentence by UK standards

see my last post about the DP, and why it isnt desirable for the UK or the EU

of course i think this guy is scum but logically the crime was committed in the UK, by a UK citizen so he will be tried and sentenced here

i see people complaining about terrorists being extradicted to the US to face harsher penalties, why is this when the same folk are complaining when the murderer has received a massive uk sentance and not the dp which doesnt exist here?

Obviously the aspect of being locked up for 30 years didn't deter him enough from killing an innocent person.

The DP is cheaper then prison. What more needs to be said? Guess what the re-offending rate with those on death row is? 0% :awesome:
A student posting on a student forum! Call the cops!

If you think money is more important than human beings, then there's nothing more I can say really.

An old guy chatting to teens on a fourm.

Yeah, that's creepy.

Money is more important then murderers. You are placing an arbitrary value on everyone's life regardless of their actions. That makes no sense.
Obviously the aspect of being locked up for 30 years didn't deter him enough from killing an innocent person.

The DP is cheaper then prison. What more needs to be said? Guess what the re-offending rate with those on death row is? 0% :awesome:

do you have reoffending rates for lifers doing 25 plus years?

And no, it isnt cheaper

in the west people do not just execute like that, as someone could be innocent

are you playing dumb or not i cannot tell

the DP doesnt deter murderers around the globe, look at the US, i dont know why your singling this guy out for being different
An old guy chatting to teens on a fourm.

Yeah, that's creepy.

Money is more important then murderers. You are placing an arbitrary value on everyone's life regardless of their actions. That makes no sense.

remind us of the age limit on TSR rules

its a student forum, not a teen forum though any adult can tell its mostly teens on here by the absoloute nonsense many posters regularly come out with

Latest

Trending

Trending