The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shabalala
you don't understand how it workes mate in prison he has numerous priveladges TV's, Books, Food no bills to pay he is surrounded be like minded people (thugs) he is the type to revel in that enviroment prison in the UK is bloody easy my uncle is a prison guard and said that himself he said many of the criminals prefer it in prison and that's why so many end up back there. they become institutionalised and they get in their own little comfort zone in prison where they are feared by fellow prisoners.

If you think this man should ever walk the streets again you are an crazy. If not the death penalty then he should be locked in a single cell 9ft by 9ft with a sink and toilet, a stone bed with only a thin blanket, no windows and only a book to read which changes every 2 weeks he should be allowed out of his cell for 3 hours on a saturday where he will be allowed to exersise but not allowed to talk to other prisoners he should be allowed 1 visit every month he should stay in such conditions untill the day he dies and all assets he has should be given to the victims family.

Amen to that!! :smile:
To be fair, I thought he'd get a less severe sentence, given how the justice system of the UK is known to be somewhat more lenient than that of some other countries, so kudos to the judge / jury for managing to impose such a sentence.

Now, as to what I really think he deserves, is the death penalty, as he clearly is not remorseful (given his behaviour in the trial and his tattoo amongst other things), and would not , but rather be a burden on the taxpayer for the rest of his life for three main reasons:
- 30 years (minimum) in prison does not cost nothing
- He will most likely be unable to get a job if he is alive when his sentence has been served, and thus will be on the dole.
- I doubt people (not really sure whether this person is actually worthy of being called a person) like him would ever be reformed, and thus would go back into a life of crime (presuming he doesn't have people within the prison whom he can bribe), which will most likely indirectly (or directly) cost the taxpayer.

Therefore, I believe, that it is cases like this one, where the death penalty should be put into use.
Reply 42
I don't get this minimum of X number of years. Surely he is now in prison until he dies or by some fluke is found innocent by new evidence not that its going to happen.
Original post by thegodofgod
To be fair, I thought he'd get a less severe sentence, given how the justice system of the UK is known to be somewhat more lenient than that of some other countries, so kudos to the judge / jury for managing to impose such a sentence.

Now, as to what I really think he deserves, is the death penalty, as he clearly is not remorseful (given his behaviour in the trial and his tattoo amongst other things), and would not , but rather be a burden on the taxpayer for the rest of his life for three main reasons:
- 30 years (minimum) in prison does not cost nothing
- He will most likely be unable to get a job if he is alive when his sentence has been served, and thus will be on the dole.
- I doubt people (not really sure whether this person is actually worthy of being called a person) like him would ever be reformed, and thus would go back into a life of crime (presuming he doesn't have people within the prison whom he can bribe), which will most likely indirectly (or directly) cost the taxpayer.

Therefore, I believe, that it is cases like this one, where the death penalty should be put into use.

This is the best post on this thread yet. Excellent!! :smile:

I wouldnt call him a person. Not even an animal. "Thing" is probably the best word, though it doesnt come nearly as lowly as I would like it to.....
Original post by rural_boy
I'm fully against the death penalty, instead I sincerely hope he loses his anal virginity in prison..

:rofl:
Why doesn't the UK make prisoners work - like chain gangs? For the idiots who commit these crimes, prison is a better option for them so it doesn't bother them - outside of prison they would be living on a council estate struggling for money for food/bills with nothing to do. In prison they get a nice warm comfy bed, 3 square meals a day cooked for them - they don't have to lift a finger, TV, Radio, free education, a gym, like minded friends etc etc. Prison is their ideal life. It needs to be something they fear.
Reply 46
The ultimate punishment would be to be chained to the floor for the rest of your life so you can't commit suicide in a room by yourself and feed / get hydrated through tubing. Obviously naked with your bum over a hole to poo in, and you can pee over yourself, in fact you'd be castrated so you didn't have a penis and the pee would be remapped to the ******* to make it easier.

Imagine that
Original post by Zyyz
The ultimate punishment would be to be chained to the floor for the rest of your life so you can't commit suicide in a room by yourself and feed / get hydrated through tubing. Obviously naked with your bum over a hole to poo in, and you can pee over yourself, in fact you'd be castrated so you didn't have a penis and the pee would be remapped to the ******* to make it easier.

Imagine that

[video="youtube;uynZIdMaxtY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uynZIdMaxtY[/video]
Reply 48
if we had [B]SHARIA LAW
this pathetic human being would havebeen publically hanged
Reply 49
Original post by simonbellringer
Minimum of 30 years..... So he could be out when he is 51. That's not life!! He could have 30+ more years to live, especially with healthcare ever improving!!!

I disagree with you on the death penalty argument but that is not matter for this thread.

Its only the minimum! After 30 years he has to persuade the parole board he poses no danger and given the type of person he is I doubt very much he'll ever manage that.

Most likely he'll be kept locked up forever.
And even if released be it in 30, 40, 70 years he wwould still be thrown back in for the slightest thing.

To be honest I think there should be a sentence equivalent to the american "life without parole" where you can only get out if you are found to have been innocent.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my U20i
Reply 50
He is a despicable individual but killing him won't bring back the victim. Killing for vengeance is morally wrong.
Reply 51
Original post by Zyyz

Imagine that

You do know castration is the removal of the testes and not the penis right?
Original post by Tommyjw
"the killer of Indian student Anuj Bidve, has been jailed for life with a minimum of 30 years."

What is the issue? It is essentially the maximum sentence, how can it ever be described as 'too lenient'?.

In no way shape or form should we ever bring back the death penalty, ever.

Well, enjoy the crushing burden of paying to keep monsters like these locked up for the rest of their lives, just as the economy gets worse and worse.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Harmonic Minor
Well, enjoy the crushing burden of paying to keep monsters like these locked up for the rest of their lives, just as the economy gets worse and worse.

Go get yourself clued up before speaking next time, death penalty costs more.
Death would be a very easy way out for Stapleton. By his reaction, the guy seems like a coward who would do anything to get away from facing up for the horrible act he has committed, including losing his life (death penalty or otherwise).
Original post by Tommyjw
Go get yourself clued up before speaking next time, death penalty costs more.

Explain?
Original post by simonbellringer
Why does society have to live and suffer with such utter scum? And now we have to keep him for the next 30 years at the taxpayers expense.

Explain?

I'm fairly sure the death penalty actually costs more. If you look at the US, people on death row remain there for decades. Then there are the endless appeals which cost a lot of money.

Personally I would have him suffer the death penalty (though there are many arguments for and against this) but the question is: he has a 30 year minimum jail sentence - is this too leniant?

If he does spend his whole life in jail I would say that is a fate worse than the death penalty. If he doesn't get out he could be spending 23 hours a day for the next 60 years in a tiny cell all by himself. Death seems like an easy way out in comparison.
He has undoubtedly taken a life, he has nothing to offer society which he could ever do to make up for what he has don, he will never be reformed. Why should he not be hanged?
(edited 11 years ago)
Explain?

In the united states of america, prisoners get to appeal about 12 times before getting fried, paying the lawyers for each court case ends up costing more than a life sentence, which they don't get as many appeals for.
I'd imagine this isn't the first time the guy's been arrested, in many ways it's a failure of the state not to have locked him up for longer before now. The real problem isn't the sentences given to those who commit murder, but the lenient sentences given to people who commit crimes that lead on to this lifestyle, people involved in armed robbery can get out of jail in about 6 months. We need to send out a real punishment to those who commit crime to make the lifestyle less appealing.

Latest

Trending

Trending