Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Women are degraded in Islam!

Announcements Posted on
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is one BIG thing people hold against Islam. This is one of the, let's say, top ten reasons for people hating Islam. They believe Islam puts the women down. [And I don't even mean the "hijab oppression" blah blah blah by it].

Why? My guess is hate and ignorance coupled with arrogance in some cases. This is how it usually goes (it went something similar to this with me last night)

Non Muslim:
    Islam insults women.

Muslim:
    No it doesn't.

Non Muslim:
    Does so. What is your view on the Islamic concept that a woman is equal to that of a half a man?

Muslim:
    Nothing because that is not an Islamic concept. So what is your view on Islamic concept that a father is equal to 1/4th of the mother?

Then the topic is changed (in my case to intelligence and faith and Qur'an), still sticking to Islam insults women and that they are a degree lower than men :rolleyes:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    To answer the question some would have:

Q: What is your view on the Islamic concept that a woman is equal to that of a half a man?

It's a husband who is a degree higher than the wife just to have a stable system family with a head of the house who has more responsibility than the others. And this is valid "only" for the husband and wife, not just "any" man-woman.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    One of many things probably you would find.

Womens testimony in court is worth half that of a mans - that is an islamic concept found in both quran and hadeeth. I dont know what you are talking about.

Where islamic law is practiced various discriminatory practices are applied against women - see saudi arabia as a good example.

End thread/
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indo-Chinese Food)
    One of many things probably you would find.

Womens testimony in court is worth half that of a mans - that is an islamic concept found in both quran and hadeeth. I dont know what you are talking about.
    I actually may get back to that sometime.
    Where islamic law is practiced various discriminatory practices are applied against women - see saudi arabia as a good example.
    Oh Puleeeez! That land is ruled by a part time Muslim. The only reason I prefer not to live there. When the old man let's Islam rule the land I'll say your comment and example are relevant to my thread's topic.

End thread/
    For you? Oh okay, have a nice day!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by At peace)
    I actually may get back to that sometime.
    read the quran sometime and you will discover that. quran states men are the 'overseers ' of women.

Oh Puleeeez! That land is ruled by a penguin. The only reason I prefer not to live there. When the old man let's Islam rule the land I'll say your comment and example are relevant to my thread's topic.
    A penguin who implements islamic law at least, more than most muslim countries.
    You can also take a look at Bahrain, kuwait, afganistan, iran etc and try and see where women are granted legal equality with men in all aspects.

then come back to me

till then its End thread/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    OP looks like she's in trouble here
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This is one BIG thing people hold against Islam. This is one of the, let's say, top ten reasons for people hating Islam. They believe Islam puts the women down. [And I don't even mean the "hijab oppression" blah blah blah by it].

Why? My guess is hate and ignorance coupled with arrogance in some cases. This is how it usually goes (it went something similar to this with me last night)

Non Muslim:
    Islam insults women.

Muslim:
    No it doesn't.

Non Muslim:
    Does so. What is your view on the Islamic concept that a woman is equal to that of a half a man?

Muslim:
    Nothing because that is not an Islamic concept. So what is your view on Islamic concept that a father is equal to 1/4th of the mother?

Then the topic is changed (in my case to intelligence and faith and Qur'an), still sticking to Islam insults women and that they are a degree lower than men :rolleyes:

Q: What is your view on the Islamic concept that a woman is equal to that of a half a man?

It's a husband who is a degree higher than the wife just to have a stable system family with a head of the house who has more responsibility than the others. And this is valid "only" for the husband and wife, not just "any" man-woman.
    Rather sexist.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Non of this is relavent OP, all you need to point out is that more women than men convert to Islam, that's it. And most of them are conspicuously westernised.

Others can wail and cry about the religion's creed, call it this and that, but it doesn't change anything in the end.

keep it movin'

And this is coming from an agnostic.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    read the quran sometime and you will discover that. .
    With all due respect, it's better not to talk about stuff you are ignorant of.

quran states men are the 'overseers ' of women
    Quote the text.

A penguin who implements islamic law at least, more than most muslim countries.
    Islam doesn't allow cherry picking. So if the old king implemets partial islamic law, that's "The old man's law" then and not "Islamic law". had there been Islamic law, he'd be getting a good beating for drinking and I would be allowed to drive.

You can also take a look at Bahrain, kuwait, afganistan, iran etc and try and see where women are granted legal equality with men in all aspects.
    None are ruled by Islam. And I'm not discussing cultures or legal systems here, other than Islam that is.
    then come back to me
    For?

till then its End thread/
    I'm back so it's Begin thread/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    With all due respect, it's better not to talk about stuff you are ignorant of.
    with all due respect, sounds like i read it and you didnt :dontknow:

Quote the text.

4:34. 'Men are in charge of (or overseers of - qawwamuna) women

later - 'As for those women on whose part you fear rebellion (nushuz), admonish them and banish them to beds apart, (and last) beat (adribu) them'

Islam doesn't allow cherry picking. So if the old king implemets partial islamic law, that's "The old man's law" then and not "Islamic law". had there been Islamic law, he'd be getting a good beating for drinking and I would be allowed to drive.
    Where does the quran say you are allowed to drive?

None are ruled by Islam. And I'm not discussing cultures or legal systems here, other than Islam that is.
    They are ruled more by islam then we are here. but here if you are raped, we lock up the attacker based on your evidence In afganistan under sharia, you would be forced to marry your attacker ( assuming that at 4 least male witnesses could be found to bring charges under islamic law)
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    And here we have another troll, funny how there are so many haters on TSR trying to bring up topics in which they have no knowledge of rather just misconceptions in which they have been brainwashed by the western media. -./)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

In my opinion this is degrading to women. Why does the husband have to be higher than the wife to have a stable family? Why could it not be just as stable with two equal heads? Most Westernised families seem to manage this perfectly well.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They are ruled more by islam then we are here. but here if you are raped, we lock up the attacker based on your evidence In afganistan under sharia, you would be forced to marry your attacker ( assuming that at 4 least male witnesses could be found to bring charges under islamic law)
    :rofl:

Afghanistan is under Shariah as much as Britain is.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S'Class)
    :rofl:

Afghanistan is under Shariah as much as Britain is.
    really, so where did this idea of punshing female rape victims come from if not from sharia practice lol? Do we do that here?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Men are overseers of women yes but how does that make them degrading? In fact its such an honour for a woman to be protected by a man because its the natural order of things. The man has the obligation to treat his wife like a queen, only islamaphobes who watch the media reproduce the old ''honour killing'' stories will fall into this trap that think women are slaves. How many cases of domestic violence and divorce are encounctered in Britain compared to those from Muslim households? And from the rare ones that do occur, they will be highlighted by the media in an attempt to demonize Islam. Only in western upbringing your mentally brainwashed into thinking that men and women are equal in all aspects of life wheras its clearly not the case.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akj08)
    In my opinion this is degrading to women. Why does the husband have to be higher than the wife to have a stable family? Why could it not be just as stable with two equal heads? Most Westernised families seem to manage this perfectly well.
    Westernised families also have a higher divorce rate not to mention asian/middle eastern families tend to be 2/3 larger, you CANT compare, moreover western families = indivualistic while eastern = Collective

• 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    really, so where did this idea of punshing female rape victims come from if not from sharia practice lol? Do we do that here?
    A lot of things happen which few are aware of.

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digistar_100)
    Men are overseers of women yes but how does that make them degrading? In fact its such an honour for a woman to be protected by a man because its the natural order of things. The man has the obligation to treat his wife like a queen, only islamaphobes who watch the media reproduce the old ''honour killing'' stories will fall into this trap that think women are slaves. How many cases of domestic violence and divorce are encounctered in Britain compared to those from Muslim households? And from the rare ones that do occur, they will be highlighted by the media in an attempt to demonize Islam. Only in western upbringing your mentally brainwashed into thinking that men and women are equal in all aspects of life wheras its clearly not the case.
    Well if you beleive that women shoudnt be treated equally to men, then that sort of makes the point about islam. Nowhere in the quran does it mention the word "queen" thats you trying to put your own spin to make it sound better. Quran says men are the overseers

what next , black people should be "protected by overseer arabs" becuase thats islamic "natural order" That sort of thinking led to the arab slave trade, check the history books. Most of the world did away with these backward notions of patriarchy and inequality a long time ago
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CosmicVengeance)
    A lot of things happen which few are aware of.

i wasnt talking about random acts by criminals etc, i was talking about state sanctioned punishment of women under isalmic law.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CosmicVengeance)
    Westernised families also have a higher divorce rate not to mention asian/middle eastern families tend to be 2/3 larger, you CANT compare, moreover western families = indivualistic while eastern = Collective

That's because of the stigma attached to divorce in Asian and Middle Eastern families and the fact that getting a divorce in Islam for women can be quite difficult.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well if you beleive that women shoudnt be treated equally to men, then that sort of makes the point about islam. Nowhere in the quran does it mention the word "queen" thats you trying to put your own spin to make it sound better. Quran says men are the overseers
    I didnt say they shouldnt be treated equal. I said they are not equal but that does not mean one is a superior gender than the other. If you can prove that this is the case using Islamic literature then your point is valid. Simply that they have different roles and responsabilies in Islam. Your putting your own prejudiced spin on the word ''overseers'' as if it was a word like prison wardens.
    what next , black people should be "protected by arabs" becuase thats islamic natural order" That sort fo thinking led to the arab slave trade, check the history books. Most of the world did away with these backward notions of partiachy and inequality a long time ago
    Black people protected by arabs is nowhere in the Quran, analogy fail.
    Call it backward as you want, Im happy seeing muslim families thrive and prosper whilst others get caught in endless divorces, domestic violence and adultery. Stats dont lie - Broken homes because the moral values they are based on are broken themselves
Updated: August 23, 2012
New on TSR

SQA results day chat

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.