The Student Room Group

Make-Up 2013 Applicants

Hey I'm Tash, I just thought I would start a new discussion for anyone who wants to study any type of make-up next year at uni. (from fashion editorial; to make-up and prosthetics for film theatre and television).
Personally I am looking to study make-up and prosthetics for film theatre and television, and am looking at courses at Arts University College Bournemouth and London College Fashion. Where is everyone else looking? What type of things are you going to write in your personal statement?
I hope this will be helpful to everyone :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Oh and what A levels/ relevant work experience are you doing?

Reply 2
Hiya, I'm Hannah
I want to study make-up and hair design at uni next year :biggrin:
I went for an open day at Southampton Solent today and the course there was WAY too theory based and barely any practical which was sad, so I'm hoping LCF and AUCB (same as you!) will be better - they look it on the website :smile:
I haven't started my personal statement yet but i'm a bit worried there won't be enough in it!
What kind of things are you doing for your portfolio? There isn't a huge amount of help on the courses websites and I'm scared I'll do the wrong kind of thing for what they're looking for!
Thanks for posting :smile:
Heya!
Basically I'm just going to reply to both of your posts (the one from the other discussion group). I can't believe how similar our situation is! I think we share the same worries and that we will have to put in extra effort if we want to secure a place at our chosen uni's.
I have been to AUCB open day and the course looks amazing. The best thing about it is not only the bast range of professionals that we will get, but also the fact that they teach you every aspect of makeup, from fashion editorial to prosthetics. However the con is that it's not in London which is where you would make your most contacts.
Are you going to London College of Fashion's open day on the 22nd? I feel that the negative with LCF is that they don't have a course that teaches you a whole range of techniques.

As for my personal statement, I have managed to get quite a lot of relevant work experience to do with makeup and for other relevant things. I was doing the EPQ however it became quite a lot to do alongside my coursework so I stopped.
I'm worried about the portfolio and feel that this will be my major disadvantage to getting a place. Although I will be enrolling in a 10 week art foundation degree course at the college which I'm hoping will help me to start building some form of portfolio?
What type of thing are you doing? Do you have anything to go on you personal statement? (I had work experience etc. to do with politics to go on mine at first!) what type of course are you looking to do?

As for Southampton Solent, I can't say it was a place that grabbed my attention so I'm happy the course does not look as good as some of the others.

Wow this is long! Sorry about that

Tash

Reply 4
Wow it's so nice to see someone in a similar position, none of my friends at school have really been able to relate (they're all doing stuff like science or politics)
I'm going to the open day on the 25th of October - so annoyed it's so far away, but I'm glad you thought it looked good and it's great that it does everything - Solent didn't have prosthetics or wig-making which was disappointing.
Yeah I'm going on the 22nd so we'll bump into eachother -yeah they don't seem to cover as much and I've also heard from people that they can be quite snobby and seem like they're looking down on you when applying because London is the top place for fashion/arts - but that could just be rumours.
At Bournemouth open day did they say how many applicants they have per place for the course?

For my personal statement, I am doing the EPQ and I'm priorotising it because I want it to make up for my lack of relevant A-levels so I'm researching and carrying out all the iconic hair and make-up styles from each decade between 1900-2000 which I'm finding so interesting and fun. I'm also doing designing and doing all the hair and makeup for our school's production of 'Anything Goes' and our school really likes to put on a good performance so that's quite a big job and looking at Bournemouth's portfolio guide they said 'Evidence of your contribution to make-up for specific productions is ideal' so I think that's going to help and I'm trying to find shadowing with a makeup artist at the moment.

For my portfolio I'm a little bit lost but what I'm hopefully going to do is design and create looks based around colour, eyes, lips, neutral and classic along with handing in my final EPQ book and pictures of the process and final result of the school play - however it said on the portfolio advice that they want to see things like sketches, general artwork and life drawing which I'm really worried about as I'm not really into fine art and don't have a lot of skill in it :/

I want to do the makeup for media and performance at AUCB and either make-up and prosthetics for performance or Foundation Degree Hair and Make-Up for Film and TV at LCf - what about you?

Woweee I think mine may be even longer - oops :smile:

Hannah x
Hey! So i was just wondering what you thought of LCF? Did you like it? I wish i had have gone to fda hair and make-up for fashion open day as well and the ones for film and television. I thought the facilities were really good and the course's seemed really interesting, but in terms of layout I think AUCB sold it to me the most. However I still feel the LCF is the better choice.

I think i'm going to apply to do an art foundation for a year just to give me a bit more time to build up a good portpholio. But I'm still going to apply this year and just see what happens. What are you thinking of doing?
I feel like i'm not ready to apply to the BA course in make-up and prosthetics at LCF, just because the lady said to me that it is best that I do the art foundation before aplying to her course.....

xxxxx
Reply 6
Heya!

I liked the courses at LCF and weirdly I actually preferred the foundation course - they're very similar, just a few little differences :smile: But I went to AUCB on Thursday and I preferred that just because I don't think I could live in London - obviously I wouldn't turn the course down but i would prefer to study at Bournemouth :smile:

I'm going to apply this year and hope for the best, I may take a few life drawing classes to put a few more sketches in my portfolio before hand but I'm not planning on applying for an art foundation, if things don't work out then I'll consider that and few mini courses that places like illamasqua offer to build stuff up. The no. of applicants per place has terrified me though - it's 44 to 1 at LCF and 10 to 1 at AUCB!!!

How's your portfolio work coming along?

xxxxxxxxx
That's exactly what im doing! Yeah Bournemouth had a better feel but I just think that with London being in such a prime location it would be best for me to go to LCF, that's assuming I get offers from anywhere! Haha. I have things to go ion my portfolio but I need to do a lot more still. I'm not really sure on how to organise my portfolio though... How's yours coming along? Also how's your UCAS application going? Xxxxx

Reply 8
I've started doing the practical side of my EPQ now which is really exciting because that's going to be a big part of my portfolio - I'm planning another smaller project to go in the portfolio with my friend who's applying for fashion courses which is exciting but I've still got A LOT of work to do!
I finished and sent off my UCAS last week and 2 days ago I got an email from Bournemouth saying they'd received my application :smile: How's yours going? xxxxx
That sounds amazing! Good luck with it! I'm doing another photoshoot project either next or the week after so that will be something else going into my portfolio. I'm almost done with my final personal statement version, I just need to hurry up and finish it!
I hope we both get offers, with the amount of effort were both putting in we both deserve offers!
:smile:
Xxxx

Reply 10
Hey girls, im pretty new to this and saw you two are interested in the same course as me at AUCB. I was just wondering if you could help me out, I havnt got a clue about almost anything on here as I only signed up to see if you two could help.

Im from sheffield and i am very interested in the makeup for media and performance and wanted to know what the actual place is like seeing as you have been.

Also how old are you both and what are you doing currently? (sorry if i missed this as i was in a rush reading!)

Emma x
Hey!
The course at AUCB looks really good because they do a combination of all makeup (fillm, theatre, television and editorial), that way you can find what area interests you the most. Bournemouth itself is really pretty and has a good night life as well as a beach so its a winner!

I'm in my last year of sixth form so i'm currently doing my last year of A levels. What about you? Where are you thinking about applying? Or where have you applied already?

:smile:
Reply 12
Good haha cause that's where I'm applying! Oooooh exciting! I know! Surroundings are beautiful! (In comparison to others haha) I'm from so far so that's why I asked of someones opinion:smile:.

I havnt seen another course what lives up to this one, any recommendations to read into depth?? The others are more theatre-y and that's my last choice in this industry.

I'm in last year of college, studying media makeup level 3 :smile:

X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Heya!

The other courses I'm applying to are Makeup for prosthetics and performance at London College of Fashion and Hair and Makeup for TV and Film and London College of fashion :smile:

I'm in the last year of sixth form too, doing my A-levels. So is your course at college helping you build up a portfolio for uni then?

Have either of you heard anything back from the uni's yet if you've applied? I've got confirmation emais that they've received my application but that's all

xxxx
Hey! How's your portfolio coming along? What kind of things are you putting in? I'm a bit stressed about my portfolio to be honest.... Yeah I've had conformation emails from everywhere apart from Bournemouth. LCF said that they would start looking through individual applications in mid January :smile: xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Hi there!
I'm actually already at university but really interested in switching to study the courses that you're all talking about.
I was just wondering what subjects you are all taking at college/sixth form and if they are helping you build your portfolio or whether it's something you're doing in your own time? x
Reply 16
Natasha: Oh I'm verrrrrry stressed about my portfolio! so far it will have all the work I did for the school play, a collab thing I did with my friend studying media who was doing fashion photoshoot so I did the makeup, a few sketches and stuff (but not enough yet!) and in a separate book will be my whole EPQ project. What about you? Oh I though LCF said they would start interviewing in mid-january?

Em: Really, what are you studying at the moment? My subjects aren't helping because I took Philosophy&Ethics, Psychology and English Lit because i decided quite late that this is what I wanted to do so I'm building my whole portfolio in my own time :smile:

xxxx
Reply 17
Hey guys,

Hannah-
Yeah my college is helping because we are constantly doing like mini projects/shoots to get shots and stuff but thats it haha. Im only applying for Bournemouth so im worriee about getting in because I have no back up plan! I havnt heard from confirmation yet but thats probably down to my stupid college references.... useless!

Natasha-
I should have more than enough for my portfolio when im finished with this course but im little worried about the art side of things, I can sketch and draw but my makeup tutor was saying something about having an art portfolio aside my makeup one so im confused haha. Plus I have no idea how to set out a portfolio to start with!

Em-
In my college you have to do a yesr before to study media makeup level 3 so I did level 2 last year. You can 'fast track' it though if your older than 18, on a cosmetic makeup course. They are helping alot like I said, with the projects and stuff but im doing theatre makeup in my own time and recently did a test shoot with a photographer which was also in my own time so I suppose its a balance of both in my point of view

Jesus that was long haha xxxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hannah & Emma: I kind of know which direction to go in with regards to my portfolio but I most definitely need more art work to go into it. I'm really hoping that interviews will be mid/end of February so I have time to sketch etc. I just need to get my January exams out the way first!

I've only had conformation emails from LCF to say that they have received my application, I've heard nothing from Bournemouth which is slightly worrying. I have a feeling that they're waiting until January the 15th before they start giving out interview dates (when everyone's UCAS applications are in).

Hannah: LCF will ask us to submit some work onto the website thing before offering us an interview won't they?

So so stressed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Hannah - I did very similar subjects to you; Philosophy & Ethics, Drama (which would hopefully show I also have an interest in that side of things) and French - so it's reassuring I'm not the only one who had a sudden change of heart! Did you do GCSE art?

I'm speaking to a couple of careers counsellors at the moment and I am building up a few contacts who are, or have links to, people in the makeup business just to inform myself about my options. From the people I've spoken to so far they said the portfolio is really what they look for if you don't have a strong background in the field.

I'm sorry you guys are all so stressed, it sounds like you're working really hard though which should show through :smile: crossing my fingers for you guys! x

Quick Reply

Latest