The Student Room Group

Make-Up 2013 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey :smile: I've been reading this... 'thread' ? And it looks like everybody is applying to the same places I.e Bournemouth and LCF, I've only applied to the two of them which is most proberly stupid as I now don't have an 'insurance' place, but I didn't want to spend so the money on a university if I'm not happy there or they aren't teaching me what I want to do!

I completed a two year BTEC national diploma level 3 in media makeup and I am currently studying the UAL foundation diploma level 4 in Art and design, the course I am doing is giving me lots of pieces to put in my portfolio (which I'm stuck with :frown: I'm awful at putting portfolios together). The advantage of the ULA course I am doing is that it is connected with LCF and if I get in (touch wood) I believe I will get money off each year. Are any of you taking three dimensional pieces to interviews? Also are you taking written work? I will take scrap books, but I'm my makeup course we didn't really do scrapbooks. What size portfolios are you doing A3?

My name is April by the way ( if you didn't guess by my user name..haha) x
Reply 21
Hannah- I need to find out today if my tutor has sorted it because I have a feeling hes left it, which is really annoying.

Em- I did btec art in year 11 I was gonna do it in college but decided to go with makeup.

April- Same course as im doing now haha! I know how you feel, I've only applied for Bournemouth because I sont wanna live in London haha nothing wrong with it, just too busy for me. Im rubbish with portfolio side of things too it sucks when you dont know what to do next.

Xxxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys I've just checked my email and I had a "something has changed on your application". I was unsuccessful for Bournemouth which sucks :frown:
But I have to stay positive. I've also applied for art foundations as back ups incase I don't get into universities. That way I can always try again next year. Just waiting on LCF now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is the thing, I didn't even get an interview. I think I didn't get in because I don't have any previous experience and I think they like you to have done an art foundation or at least some art subjects at A level. But we'll see how everyone else gets on :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Omg thats such a shame!! Im really nervous now! Do you know you can ask them why? They will email you explaining why you were unsuccessful im applying.

Let us know, maybe we can help because it could be a blip in your application??

xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
I agree with Emma defiantly ask them for feed back if they don't naturally send you a response, there is no hope for me then, Bournemouth require maths which I don't have as a I wanted to apply last year but thought there's no point as I won't have a chance but my head of course emailed administrations over at Bournemouth asking if I should still apply and they said I should as if I get an offer it will be under the conditions I take math classes, but if you didn't get an interview bases on not having art ( which doesn't say is a requirement they just perfer you have it) then I have no chance! X
Reply 26
Do you mean gcse mathematics? Or A level? Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
GCSE I didn't do Alevel I left to do makeup x
Reply 28
I see, then yeah you would have to do it, was it far from a C? You could pay to resit it to like get it before maths is taken officially in schools and colleges, I was going to resit my maths at some point, not got round to it haha.

Bad points are that you have to revise on your own unless you had tutoring or something xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Nope I got an E I tried retaking it at GCSE level but they told me it could take up to 2 years to get a C so I didn't bother, then I met my boyfriend so I thought I didn't want to go to uni anymore, then realised I was being stupid haha x
Reply 30
They cant put a time on your ability :s! If you wanna go for it you should have told em to shove it and let you do it. Hmmm suspicious haha and aw, I was abit like that with my boyfriend I said same haha xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
It's the way they do the exams I.e once a year so the first exam I'd get a D the the next exam the following year I would get a C, it's **** but I wanted to to makeup and whilst I was at school I didn't think I'd need maths where I wanted to go stupid me haha x
Reply 32
Tbh you should only need grades to what you want, but then your buggered if you change your mind arnt you. Our maths was confusing too, when I passed they were asking me to do functional skills, for no apparent reason I refused but I wasnt wasting my time when I needed to get my english up to scratch! Sometimes they just dont have a clue xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, this is what they said:

Your application lacks a practical Art or Design based

subject, at level 3, which we would expect to see in

applications to this course. Applicants need to have studies

relevant level 3 qualifications; we accept a wide range of qualifications.

Which is completely true considering I did not do an art based subject at A level. But hopefully doilng an Art Foundation will help next year and then I can always re-apply :smile:
(I don't know why it has spaces between the lines but it won't let me change it- sorry about that!)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
Oh right I see, I'm guessing you didn't write anything about art? The girl who managed to get into Bournemouth didn't have a foundation in art although when we were doing makeup we had to attend weekly drawing classes. I am not sure what LCF and bournemouth are like with Hair dressing, I was lucky enough to talk to Marcus Whitney (makeup artist for being human) and he said the BBC wouldn't take on anyone if they didn't have Hair, nor would he take anyone on either apparently Hair is compulsory...
They want you to have at least a level 3 In art, not necessarily an art foundation. I have not done Art that gives me a qualification of level 3.

I have taken part in an art preparation foundation course and took part in The Arts Award which I obviously wrote about in my personal statement.- Just waiting to hear back from LCF now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Hair is compulsory in my course so ive got hair too, but I emailed the man and he said my level 3 media makeup is fine if its like equivalent to 2 alevels which I believe it is. I got 2 merits in art so hopefully they accept this. Im sure it doesnt say you need a level 3 in art on sub requirements.

I told you about my application though didnt I guys, he hasnt even done it! Ive watched my teacher write my statement (which was brilliant) but it should have been sent ages ago!

Xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Which courses are you applying to Emma? And I'm worried as I wasn't told who has written me a reference it will be one of my art teachers but unsure of which one! I know my sculpture teacher has read my personal statement but hasn't mentioned my reference, to late now I received both emails today from bournemouth and LCF saying they received my Ucas and it will be assessed between mid January to mid march! I don't want to wait ages I just want to get it out of the way!

X
Reply 38
Only Bournemouth unfortunately I couldnt find another I liked:frown:. Which is a shame tbh.

Ive got reference s from my makeup tutor and my hair, and my personal tutor

Same im tired of it now. Seen as it was supposed to be sent off along time ago xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Hi does anyone know if in a make-up course you practice on students on your class or if other people come in for you to practice on? If someone could get back to me that would be great thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest