The Student Room Group

Tom Daley: British Diver

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Always_Right
It's a bit of banter, why does everyone bite so quickly? I could imagine Tom coming out with a sly comment like that tbh, if his own Dad wasn't dead that is.

It's not 'banter' though, is it? Banter is exhibited between friends who know the boundaries of each other, understand each other's sense of humour and understand the other's personal lives to know where lines would be crossed in any manner.

What this was, was a kid targetting a young athlete regarding something deeply hurtful in an attempt to gain some recognition on a social networking site. He targetted Daley in a vindictive and disgusting manner for his own gain. I'm probably contradicting myself here, as i've said it shouldn't be discussed. But you've riled a reaction here and one that will be shared by many. That kid is a ****er.
Reply 181
He is a bit over-hyped......

Knew a fan girl would neg me
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Converse Rocker
A horrible thing to put, but people should know by now that these people are just looking for a rise out of people.

Why?

I find him very irritating. The very same type to make sly comments to this tweet.
Original post by Schmucks
It's not 'banter' though, is it? Banter is exhibited between friends who know the boundaries of each other, understand each other's sense of humour and understand the other's personal lives to know where lines would be crossed in any manner.

What this was, was a kid targetting a young athlete regarding something deeply hurtful in an attempt to gain some recognition on a social networking site. He targetted Daley in a vindictive and disgusting manner for his own gain. I'm probably contradicting myself here, as i've said it shouldn't be discussed. But you've riled a reaction here and one that will be shared by many. That kid is a ****er.

I found the comment very funny, purely because who it was directed towards. Top class tweet- as proved by the public's reaction; police can't do a thing either... I would go so far to say it's bordering Genius.
Reply 184
I found the comment very funny, purely because who it was directed towards. Top class tweet- as proved by it's reaction; police can't do a thing. I would go so far to say it's bordering Genius.

I would go as far to say you're a ****er too, then.
Reply 185
yep i watched the programme and felt so sorry for him to loose him dad like that but he is successful and hopefully will win a medal in the mens diving , he is deffo good enough.
And he did his A levels and got really good GCSE and A level results. Everyone knows who Tom Dayley is :smile:

he is fit too
Reply 186
I found the comment very funny, purely because who it was directed towards. Top class tweet- as proved by the public's reaction; police can't do a thing either... I would go so far to say it's bordering Genius.

What's the comment?

Good to see "Always_Troll" has joined TSR.
Reply 188
Original post by RtGOAT
What's the comment?

It was something like "You've let your Dad down". Something along those lines.
Tom Daley is AMAZING. <3

I don't see what you jealous citizens have against him? so what if he's the face of Team GB ? he's young and talented. They need fresh faces to 'inspire a generation' anyway. It was the ultimate London 2012 Olympic dream so why are you crushing it?
and whilst in his education, an A or A* is extremely difficult to get in ANY subject, so I don't see why people are labeling them as 'easy' subjects. This was at A-level and GCSE and with the pressure of his competitions against practically the 'rest of the world', he is doing fantastically! Also with the death of his father who was his biggest influence/inspiration and supporter, I think he is doing extremely well to recover.
You shouldn't hate on him because he is young and he is LIVING HIS LIFE, unlike yourselves. You should support him and become inspired. (:
-This is just my opinion by the way.
Just did my part and sent the prat who told him he let his dad down a message :biggrin: My timeline is filled with it
Reply 191
Original post by Ocassus
His goal isn't to get into a top institution. :l

Also, if he was to put diving to one side and apply to Cambridge, do you honestly reckon they'd say no even with his 'average' A level grades? You do realise that the Oxbridge universities are looking AWAY from this kind of stuff now and being a former world champion in a sport and competing for your country actually shows a great deal of transferrable skills that they look for, especially perseverance. I'd bet money that if Tom selected the right course, he would get into Cambridge/Oxford for a non-science subject.

As someone who applied to Cambridge and has a conditional offer, I've got to say that this is a load of rubbish. Cambridge do not take anything but academia into account when assessing applicants. This means high UMS scores (95% avg for many courses is standard) and success in other academic activities RELATED to the degree course. Being a successful sportsman is not relevant.
Reply 192
Original post by stefl14
As someone who applied to Cambridge and has a conditional offer, I've got to say that this is a load of rubbish. Cambridge do not take anything but academia into account when assessing applicants. This means high UMS scores (95% avg for many courses is standard) and success in other academic activities RELATED to the degree course. Being a successful sportsman is not relevant.

That is the general norm, yes.

But every University in the country would be changing their own routine to get someone like Daley in if he met their academic requirements. You can't tell me that's not due to sport.
Have you seen his latest threats to Tom . Aghh I just want him off twitter now and even get arrested for these horrible threats

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 194
That is the general norm, yes.

But every University in the country would be changing their own routine to get someone like Daley in if he met their academic requirements. You can't tell me that's not due to sport.

Why would they try to get Daley in? It's not like they can charge him higher fees than others. Even members of the royal family can't get in any more if they don't meet the academic standards required (not just in terms of grades). It's not like the old days.
Reply 195
Original post by stefl14
Why would they try to get Daley in? It's not like they can charge him higher fees than others. Even members of the royal family can't get in any more if they don't meet the academic standards required (not just in terms of grades). It's not like the old days.

Free advertisement and public image. Massive for any university.
Reply 196
Seeing as we're discussing the kid who was abusing Daley (it can't be stopped now really, can it?), here he is;

Heh. Bellend.
Reply 197
Free advertisement and public image. Massive for any university.

Sorry but I don't think this is a factor. This is Cambridge - this type of advertisement isn't needed in my view. The type of students aspiring to study at Cambridge don't care if Tom Daley goes there.
Reply 198
Original post by stefl14
Sorry but I don't think this is a factor. This is Cambridge - this type of advertisement isn't needed in my view. The type of students aspiring to study at Cambridge don't care if Tom Daley goes there.

That isn't the only aspect that brings money to a University though, and regardless of stature, every University needs more money. Daley would open up new corridors for that to flood in. It's inevitable.

EDIT - Obviously, though, this is hypothetical. And based upon the notion he'd meet requirements academically (which some do and still fail to get in). It wouldn't be a problem for him.
Yet again people are just jealous of him, if you watch the video it shows just how much effort he puts in yet the idiot on twitter and his supporters are just out to put him down just sick really. He has done nothing to cause people to dislike him.. just alot of prejudice people. In any sport you can't always get it right.

Quick Reply

Latest