The Student Room Group

Crap events

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Drewski
I've done shooting at high levels. It's not easy. No it doesnt require the same athleticism as sprinting, but that doesn't require the same athleticism as marathon running. Or weightlifting. Just because it's a different test doesn't mean it's inferior.

It's not easy, but it's not athleticism either.

Personally, the only 'silly sports' in the Olympics are the ones for whom it's not the most important tournament; football, tennis [soon to be] golf, etc.

Oh, and Synchronised Swimming.
I don't see why the Olympics has to be the pinnacle of a sport for it to be included. It'd be nice, but I don't think it's important unless the best of the sport choose to not turn up. Football's a bit awkward in that they're deliberately excluded to avoid any conflict, but you do get the best tennis players taking part. Boxing too I suppose.
Reply 41
Original post by Junaid96
You can be forgiven - I don't think anyone expected archery to be like that :smile: It's practically cheating! They have laser stuff, scopes etc. what is the point in the contest. They all hit the target, it's just a matter of like centimetres now.

To be honest the Olympics is all about Athletics to me anyway. Don't really care about the stuff going on at the moment apart from swimming
Reply 42
Original post by Converse Rocker
I know about as much as you about horse riding so I don't know how it compares to other sports. I know it helps with the strength of certain areas, but other than that I don't know.

Well it depends whether you think Olympic sports should require a large amount of physical effort. So far as I know, a sport doesn't have to be physically demanding and shooting/archery take just as much skill and practice as something like swimming or running.

I mean look at darts, some of the best in the world are massively unfit and overweight, but it's still a sport.

Yes, and I'd be well pissed off if darts got in too.
Original post by S1L3NTPR3Y
Britain is pretty good at sailing (a sport which relies on the wind to move the vessel) and I noticed it hasn't been mentioned.
The only sport that I think shouldn't be an olympic sport is the horse stuff, but archery and shooting are acceptable imo.

Good point, stick sailing in there as well. Unless it's really choppy, then it's clearly physically tough.
Just look at this
120123143649079_82799723.mainpicture_612.jpg
And tell me, is this the body that a "generation" should aspire to be?

This guy is not fit, all he does is stand and shoot, the same goes for rifle shooting.

Real sports are like cycling, running etc, those guys beasted it today on the bikes 250km! In around 5 hours and 45 mins, this is what people should aspire to be!
Not be fat and "shooting targets".

Now mods before you say this is spam, it is not, it is the truth and tell me if I am wrong in saying, the runners are more fit than the guy above?
I want to have a good discussion on this.

In order to be fit and therefore healthy, you need to have a strong heart, the guy above and the guys in the standing events are weak.

This guy is what a generation should aspire to be.
Fit.

1343489121.jpg

It sickens me to see these standing events classified as "sport for the Olympics".
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
I don't think there is any crap event. Unless you compete in that event, we have no idea the amount of work and effort that is required to reach that highest level. Every sport requires practice and perfection. Getting to a decent level is fairly difficult enough, let alone maintaining that level and perfecting it.
Reply 45
Original post by djpailo
I don't think there is any crap event. Unless you compete in that event, we have no idea the amount of work and effort that is required to reach that highest level. Every sport requires practice and perfection. Getting to a decent level is fairly difficult enough, let alone maintaining that level and perfecting it.

Whilst all Olympic events are preferable for your kids to do than staying indoors playing computer games, there are some that are better for their health than others.
Reply 46
Should be. But clearly not :frown:
Original post by Hopple
Whilst all Olympic events are preferable for your kids to do than staying indoors playing computer games, there are some that are better for their health than others.

... Uh? What does any of that have to do with what the other guy said?
Well, if that were really what the Olympics were about, they would include rugby 7's and (because of its combination of mental and physical talents) T20 cricket. I'd love to see that happen but I doubt it ever will.
Reply 49
Original post by TheMagicRat
... Uh? What does any of that have to do with what the other guy said?

It's that I'm not denying the time and effort that goes into the unathletic events, but that still doesn't change that they don't require physical exertion.
Reply 50
Gun shooters for one.
Shooting involves skill and the Olympics are the pinnacle of their sport. What I would take out of the Olympics are synchronised swimming (art not sport), tennis (the four grand slam tournaments take precedence) and beach volleyball (a joke if ever there was one, just for lecherous men to gawp).
Reply 52
Interesting point. The Olympics is generally focussed on the combination of skill and athleticism so I agree with the OP that this does make events like these seem out of place when they do not require both aspects. However, in my mind archery is certainly not the worst offender. That title should go to dressage as it's essentially the horse doing all the work. Why not have Olympic crufts or sheepdog trials if that's allowed?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by barnetlad
Shooting involves skill and the Olympics are the pinnacle of their sport. What I would take out of the Olympics are synchronised swimming (art not sport), tennis (the four grand slam tournaments take precedence) and beach volleyball (a joke if ever there was one, just for lecherous men to gawp).

I don't deny the skill, I do dispute it being used to encourage children into sport to keep them healthy.
Reply 54
Original post by Hopple
I don't deny the skill, I do dispute it being used to encourage children into sport to keep them healthy.

Sport isn't just about health. It's also about discipline, application, focus... all of those required in spades in shooting.
Reply 55
Original post by blueray
It sickens me to see these standing events classified as "sport for the Olympics".

Shooting has been part of the modern Olympics since they began. Whatever you think the Olympics is about, you're wrong. If you want to see a competition that's all about the body then watch a bodybuilding competition, or something similar.
Reply 56
Original post by Drewski
Sport isn't just about health. It's also about discipline, application, focus... all of those required in spades in shooting.

As I said in the OP, physical ability isn't the only thing but it should be present.
You need really strong arms to be a good archer. It hurts your back a bit, too (if you're unfit, like me).
Reply 58
You're using loaded language, saying run the fastest, jump highest and then saying standing still and shooting? If you worded it as inspiring kids to 'shoot the steadiest' or something along those lines, you'd realise it's not so bad.
Original post by sugar-n-spice
I think too promote athleticism the olympics shud be banned, makes people watch tv too much

Problem solved, hold them at Bramall Lane

Sheffield 2020 :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest