Reply 81
Original post by Multitalented me
I'd rather have sex in the Olympics than shooting :yy:

Even if we chose your partner? :beard:
Original post by Drewski
Even if we chose your partner? :beard:

Who said I'd compete :wink:
Reply 83
I think a good rule would be that if the activity in question involves an object (inanimate or otherwise) it must require more than trivial physical exertion on the part of the athlete in order to move the object for it to be an Olympic sport. Weight lifting, shot, javelin, archery, discus, relay, cycling etc are therefore included but I think it's fair that darts, racing or snooker aren't included as future Olympic events. By the same standards I think shooting and dressage should be removed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by Hopple
First off, I think the Olympics should promote and reward athletic ability. Not that that's the only thing - teamwork, skill, timing etc are involved too - but I think it ought to be an essential part of any event that is given medals.

The first medals won this Olympics were for the 10 metres women's air rifle. Now, I'm sure they're all very skilled and someone like me would make a fool of myself if I just turned up and had a go, but I just don't think that sort of thing should be at the Olympics. If you watch the video, they just stand there, no need to even walk around. I'd argue the same against archery and that horse crufts/ballet thing (heck, even normal horse riding has the horse being the main athlete).

The reason I say the Olympics should promote and reward athletic ability is because it's supposed to 'inspire a generation'. Now, I ask you, would you rather encourage kids to aspire to run the fastest, jump the highest/furthest and be the strongest, or get good at standing and shooting? Do you want kids to be active, or sedantry?

Finally, are there any events I've missed?

I completely disagree, I think it should promote working hard. The more skilled sports require more practise to be the best. There are no events that require no skill.
I'm looking forward to fencing :O!
most of the olympic events are definitely worth having as olympic sports.

others dont deserve a place, football, tennis & some others i cant remember

squash keeps getting rejected as an olympic sport, which is pretty stupid, it should definitely be an olympic sport
Reply 87
Original post by DickDastardly
squash keeps getting rejected as an olympic sport, which is pretty stupid, it should definitely be an olympic sport

Agree with that, definitely. Participation alone it's right up there with any other sport on the planet.
Reply 88
Original post by Hopple
Yeah, it is more skillful to use a bow, but I still wouldn't call them athletes.

I found a video for the horse thing, where the riders get medals for just sitting on the horse. Fair enough they trained the horse, but not with any physical exertion on their part.

Evidently you have never ridden

Olympic riders do things on horses that normal riders could only dream of. It takes years of training and building up a partnership to be able to even attempt the things they do.

I wouldnt expect you to understand dressage and the skill behind it if you have never ridden, but thr movements are extremely difficult to get right with the amount of prescision they require. One of the aims is to not be able to see signals between horse and rider so it may seem to you that the rider is doing nothing but thats how its meant to appear.

As for showjumping and eventing you need to be extremely fit to ride the onlympic courses, olympic riders will do hours and hours of fitness training because otherwise you wouldnt be able to cope.

And as for the horses, extremely talented horses like the ones ridden in the olympics are normally very difficult to ride due their temperments. They are not quiet riding school ponies.
Reply 89
Original post by Logi
I think a good rule would be that if the activity in question involves an object (inanimate or otherwise) it must require more than trivial physical exertion on the part of the athlete in order to move the object for it to be an Olympic sport. Weight lifting, shot, javelin, archery, discus, relay, cycling etc are therefore included but I think it's fair that darts, racing or snooker aren't included as future Olympic events. By the same standards I think shooting and dressage should be removed.

Why dressage? Ive just written a post to someone else about this, probably will appear above this one. People are under the misconception that dressage riders do nothing when actually to do the sport correctly its meant to appear that way. Those riders are working just as hard as the other athletes to maintain that level of control and prescision. The horses used are normally difficult to ride, strong and tempermental as well, really difficult to ride and communicate with.
I would actually say its one of the hardest olympic sports.

I agree racing would be stupid as that is literally all about the horse and the fastest one, not riding skill.
Has anyone watched any of the handball?

Never watched the sport properly before, thought it would be a bit crap but I just watched the womens team GB face Montenegro and I actually quite enjoyed it, despite the fact they made rather easy pickings of GB.
Reply 91
Original post by kunoichi
Why dressage? Ive just written a post to someone else about this, probably will appear above this one. People are under the misconception that dressage riders do nothing when actually to do the sport correctly its meant to appear that way. Those riders are working just as hard as the other athletes to maintain that level of control and prescision. The horses used are normally difficult to ride, strong and tempermental as well, really difficult to ride and communicate with.
I would actually say its one of the hardest olympic sports.
Where is the physical exertion to make the object (the horse) do as they want? Yes they have to know where to prod the thing but it's the horse that is doing the work. It's the same as if they introduced any form of racing cars into the olympics - it requires a lot of skill and concentration but no physical effort to make the car move.
I'm sure ensuring that the horse does precisely as you wish and when you wish without whacking it or yelling at it does take alot of skill, both mentally and physically but nevertheless, it is extremely dull to watch!
Original post by social outcast
It is only the first time they ride the horse in the modern pentathlon in all the other equestrian disciplines they will be long established partnerships

yeah realised that... soz
Reply 94
Original post by Logi
Where is the physical exertion to make the object (the horse) do as they want? Yes they have to know where to prod the thing but it's the horse that is doing the work. It's the same as if they introduced any form of racing cars into the olympics - it requires a lot of skill and concentration but no physical effort to make the car move.

Omg even decent riding at ordinary level requires a fair amount of physical exertion let alone the kinds of movements expected at olympic level on the powerful olympic standard horses.

The reason you dont see any physical exertation is because the rider would be marked down for showing that or any physical signals to the horse. To get the best mark it has to be so subtle as to be all but invisible.
For the olympic riders this involves using every muscle and all the strength they have to get the horse doing the 'exact' movement at the exact time without showing any effort.

Do you have any idea how much effort it takes to go with the horses movement so well it looks like you arent moving? Takes a huge amount of fitness and muscle, most riders wouldnt be able to manage that.

TBH the whole people thinking that dressage riders do nothing is almost a compliment to the dressage riders as thats the look that they are supposed to be achieving.
At the end of the day though, i dont think unless you ride you are going to understand how much effort it takes and how much skill and fitness high level dressage needs. :smile:
Reply 95
Original post by anna-chipie 95
yeah realised that... soz

No actually in some cases you are right

There have been olympics where the riders horses coulnt travel to another country for various reasons or another and they have had to use the countrys horses meeting them for the first time at the olympics. So it can happen :smile:
I agree to an extent. Because the Olympics is 'sports' and i don't really think they are particularly 'sporty'
But then again the amount of skill and concentration in an archer or gun man [i think they're called?] Must be extremely difficult to obtain. So the fact that they are so focused is surely admirable?
In saying that... Darts and golf should be in the Olympics too?
Original post by DaveSmith99
A poor response deserves a poorer response.

My problem with your post is that you were talking about the shot put and pole vault events as if anyone could do them, when the reality is you've probably never attempted either of them in your life. Both require great physical and mental strength.
Original post by RachelSophia
I agree to an extent. Because the Olympics is 'sports' and i don't really think they are particularly 'sporty'
But then again the amount of skill and concentration in an archer or gun man [i think they're called?] Must be extremely difficult to obtain. So the fact that they are so focused is surely admirable?
In saying that... Darts and golf should be in the Olympics too?

Golf will be reinsated into the 2016 olympics, I agree it deserves a place in the olympics and is far more 'sporty' than certain other olympic sports such as synchronised swimming, dressage and shooting events but I find golf almost just as tedious. It is about time cricket became an olympic sport, twenty20 cricket would be a great addition to the olympic programme.
Original post by thecookiemonster
My problem with your post is that you were talking about the shot put and pole vault events as if anyone could do them, when the reality is you've probably never attempted either of them in your life. Both require great physical and mental strength.

Go read my post again, I in no way think or suggested that anyone could do either the shot put or the pole vault. Also I did shot put a few times in school on sports day.

Quick Reply

Latest