The Student Room Group

Crap events

First off, I think the Olympics should promote and reward athletic ability. Not that that's the only thing - teamwork, skill, timing etc are involved too - but I think it ought to be an essential part of any event that is given medals.

The first medals won this Olympics were for the 10 metres women's air rifle. Now, I'm sure they're all very skilled and someone like me would make a fool of myself if I just turned up and had a go, but I just don't think that sort of thing should be at the Olympics. If you watch the video, they just stand there, no need to even walk around. I'd argue the same against archery and that horse crufts/ballet thing (heck, even normal horse riding has the horse being the main athlete).

The reason I say the Olympics should promote and reward athletic ability is because it's supposed to 'inspire a generation'. Now, I ask you, would you rather encourage kids to aspire to run the fastest, jump the highest/furthest and be the strongest, or get good at standing and shooting? Do you want kids to be active, or sedantry?

Finally, are there any events I've missed?

Edit: bear in mind the Olympic motto is "Faster, Higher, Stronger", and also note that I haven't said anywhere that these events require little or no skill.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think too promote athleticism the olympics shud be banned, makes people watch tv too much
Reply 2
Original post by sugar-n-spice
I think too promote athleticism the olympics shud be banned, makes people watch tv too much

Makes people envy the athletes' bodies, so they go out and exercise.
Reply 3
Yeah shooting's a crock of ****. Everyone knows it though; that's why they get it the **** out of the way before the real events begin.

I haven't heard about/seen the horse thing so can't comment there (though it sounds terrible), but I have no problem with archery
Reply 4
This maybe controversial but 100m is overrated, all they do is run as fast as they can. No skill or talent involved.
Reply 5
Original post by RtGOAT
This maybe controversial but 100m is overrated, all they do is run as fast as they can. No skill or talent involved.

They have athletic ability though, which is what I think the Olympics should encourage. And there is skill to running properly, if Michael Johnson is to be beleived, going on about shin angles and all that.
Original post by ROYP
Yeah shooting's a crock of ****. Everyone knows it though; that's why they get it the **** out of the way before the real events begin.

I haven't heard about/seen the horse thing so can't comment there (though it sounds terrible), but I have no problem with archery

What's the difference between archery and gun shooting? Archery needs some physical strength I guess, but nothing amazing.
(edited 11 years ago)
There are a lot of really rubbish sports that wouldn't really exist if they weren't part of a larger event. I only really pay attention to proper sports, dont really give two ****s about who can throw a shot put the furthest or who can use a pole to get over the highest bar.
Reply 7
Original post by Hopple

What's the difference between archery and gun shooting? Archery needs some physical strength I guess, but nothing amazing.

Not that I've watched either much, I imagine archery takes more technical ability than shooting. The angle, pull-back, accuracy whereas shooting looked to me like the gun was set in place and they just aimed and shot :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by ROYP
Not that I've watched either much, I imagine archery takes more technical ability than shooting. The angle, pull-back, accuracy whereas shooting looked to me like the gun was set in place and they just aimed and shot :s-smilie:

Yeah, it is more skillful to use a bow, but I still wouldn't call them athletes.

I found a video for the horse thing, where the riders get medals for just sitting on the horse. Fair enough they trained the horse, but not with any physical exertion on their part.
Reply 9
Original post by DaveSmith99
There are a lot of really rubbish sports that wouldn't really exist if they weren't part of a larger event. I only really pay attention to proper sports, dont really give two ****s about who can throw a shot put the furthest or who can use a pole to get over the highest bar.

True, I think I might lump in the javelin and hammer with the shot put, seeing as they also need not be accurate beyond being 'confined' to a massive wedge.

I think I'd stick with the pole vault though, they do have to have speed and strength.
Reply 10
Original post by sugar-n-spice

you do realise not everyone watches it on TV...
Olympic Football is ****ing ****.
Original post by RtGOAT

No skill or talent involved?

Bloody hell, I bet you couldn't even get 13 seconds if you tried.
Bet none of you would be saying this if we won the Gold Medal and not China
Original post by Miracle Day

I would, im not that bothered about how we do as a team really, just how we do in certain events.
Reply 15
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
No skill or talent involved?

Bloody hell, I bet you couldn't even get 13 seconds if you tried.

I probably couldn't and even if I trained hard for it I probably couldn't which proves my point there is no skill involved its just genetic, you're either born quick or you're not.
Reply 16

Exactly
Reply 17

Original post by drummer
Exactly

well no

(that's 'no, we'd still be saying it')
Shooting is in the Olympics because of Pierre de Coubertin. It was in the first Games and been in loads since. He was an aristocrat and put forth sports that he liked for the Games. In much the same way that he came up with the modern pentathlon and based it on five things that a 19th century cavalry soldier should be good at.
Original post by Hopple
I'd argue the same against archery and that horse crufts/ballet thing (heck, even normal horse riding has the horse being the main athlete).

firstly its called dressage and secondly i'd love to see you try . The dressage riders have an incredible amount of control over there bodies, they have a huge amount of core strength, and control

Quick Reply

Latest